Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I'm posting this here because the current Sentry owner master race may be interested.

As you know, the C14 connector on the back causes the power cable to stick out pretty far. You can get one of these down angle cables to alleviate that problem like I have. Keep in mind they're expensive as hell but are worth it if you're into making your stuff look good.

AMAZON LINK!

Atremo

Caliper Novice
Mar 3, 2018
I'm posting this here because the current Sentry owner master race may be interested.

As you know, the C14 connector on the back causes the power cable to stick out pretty far. You can get one of these down angle cables to alleviate that problem like I have. Keep in mind they're expensive as hell but are worth it if you're into making your stuff look good.

AMAZON LINK!

Or maybe a down hook extension adapter connector..., maybe better due different power insert plugs US or Europe

https://i.imgur.com/oZy11aX.jpg

Also...anyone has a good link to find a custom : "90 degree low profile" gpu cable, all i could find in link below.

https://i.imgur.com/0JxifWU.jpg

doomsdaydexter

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2017
Bravo on the less screws and types of screws, the build sheet was pretty awesome but could of done with being A3 size for us middle aged types who struggled the the screw type differentiation...

I liked the Allen key case screws, gave it amore ' industrial' aesthetique and also imho easier to feel the kind of pressure that was needed than a funny headed torque screw head, but I realise they are uncommon in computer builds especially in N America.

Reactions: ZombiPL and SaperPL

Rebel640

Caliper Novice
Mar 29, 2018
This needs to go into production asap :) we are ok with testing the v1 that can be refined later on for kick-start launch .

Freeks

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
I'm one of the lucky Sentry 1.x (white) owners and after ~1 year and 2 systems in it I found some areas of improvement that might not have been mentioned.

The lip on the toppanel, that slides below the frontpanel and holds it down creates kind of a dent in the center of the line where the panels meet up. I fixed it a little by bending the lip down a tiny amount. It's better but not perfect. Maybe removing some of the paint on the lip makes the line more straight but I'm still reluctant to do irreversible mods to the case and it's only really prominent when viewed from certain angles.

The other thing is the strip of metal between the PCI-E slot-plates. I know it's standard, but blower-style cards really benefit from bigger exhaust-area and the strip covers quite some area, that GPU-makers "illegaly" use. It would be a simple mod to grind it out but as before I'm not at that point yet.

I'm really stoked about 2.0 although I'll most certainly stick with my 1.x :)
great job guys and good luck with the next version

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
I'm one of the lucky Sentry 1.x (white) owners and after ~1 year and 2 systems in it I found some areas of improvement that might not have been mentioned.

The lip on the toppanel, that slides below the frontpanel and holds it down creates kind of a dent in the center of the line where the panels meet up. I fixed it a little by bending the lip down a tiny amount. It's better but not perfect. Maybe removing some of the paint on the lip makes the line more straight but I'm still reluctant to do irreversible mods to the case and it's only really prominent when viewed from certain angles.

The other thing is the strip of metal between the PCI-E slot-plates. I know it's standard, but blower-style cards really benefit from bigger exhaust-area and the strip covers quite some area, that GPU-makers "illegaly" use. It would be a simple mod to grind it out but as before I'm not at that point yet.

I'm really stoked about 2.0 although I'll most certainly stick with my 1.x :)
great job guys and good luck with the next version

Thx for the feedback. We will investigate if we can improve something in the fields you mentioned.

lauheiyeung

Caliper Novice
Nov 25, 2017
I think it would be great if the limit of CPU cooler height could be increased by 1-2mm so the noise turbulence of Cryorig C7 or similar cooler could be reduced.

Reactions: doomsdaydexter

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I think it would be great if the limit of CPU cooler height could be increased by 1-2mm so the noise turbulence of Cryorig C7 or similar cooler could be reduced.

We want to fix it by making denser ventilation rather than increasing the size of the case.

We cannot go much lower with the motherboard - We could use imperial 0.25"/6.35 mm stand-offs instead of metric 7 mm ones we use right now, or maybe a 6.5 mm ones, if we can source such, but we'd have to see if that doesn't cause additional issues. And that'd be only 0.5 mm added.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out why IO Shields are such an annoyance. I think, at least in my case, the issue is with the motherboard and IO shield rather than the case's standoffs or the shield cut-out that cause misalignment. All three of my cases (CaseLabs Mercury S3, Ncase M1, Sentry) were insanely off, albeit useable, and all were used with ASRock motherboards. I'm pretty ASRock just hates me. No idea.

lauheiyeung

Caliper Novice
Nov 25, 2017
We want to fix it by making denser ventilation rather than increasing the size of the case.

We cannot go much lower with the motherboard - We could use imperial 0.25"/6.35 mm stand-offs instead of metric 7 mm ones we use right now, or maybe a 6.5 mm ones, if we can source such, but we'd have to see if that doesn't cause additional issues. And that'd be only 0.5 mm added.

This sounds awesome! Good Work

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
wonder if you sell that stand separate?
We don't want to add options, we want a complete package.

Most of the users use the vertical stand from what we've seen.

Also making it as separate product means separate package and that would get messy when handling shipments for people who buy case with a stand, or we make empty space for it inside the package which also isn't that nice - we don't want to sell a case like game with cut-out content for paid DLC's :)

If that's not why you asked, is there a reason you'd like to buy it separately?

Reactions: DSE

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
May I ask why you decided to move the power button to the center as I personally preferred the previous placement. Not a big deal but just curious. Would still buy it though.

We needed a space for 120mm AIO water cooling, and at the same time we wanted to keep external dimensions of the case while still using standard, easy to buy and replace components (like this vandal switch). If we would keep the previous position of the power button, then we would need it to be shorter (something like 10-12mm) to not collide with the AIO radiator. We couldn't find such button, so we were in a place where we had to decide if we will manufacture our own PCB with power switch, or if we will stay with the one we have now. Our own switch would be something dedicated only for Sentry, and in case of failure you would have to buy it directly from us. This would be against the philosophy of Sentry. We want to use as much standard PC components as we can, so if in future someone will manufacture some more quality hardware (like better power button, better riser, etc.), you will be able to use it. With dedicated power button such thing wouldn't be possible.

On the other hand with Sentry 1.0 and 1.1 we also talked with many people who wanted us to change this button's position to the center of the case. At that time we wanted to keep an option of using SFX-L PSUs, so the off-center stayed. Now with more and more 500W+ non-L SFX power supplies we can leave SFX-L option for AIO support and again make a case in the way that people want it (this was a very often requested feature since in Sentry 1.0 we showed AIO support as an experiment). When we will show you guys our plan how to install everything inside, then maybe someone will get better idea to keep the current position of that switch? (we really really tried :D)

Reactions: Rebel640