Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
May I ask when will Sentry 2.0 be ready for pre-order or a kickstarter campaign?

If everything goes well, we will want to order 1st prototype before the end of this month.
After inspection there usually has to be another, 2nd protoype to repair problems from 1st prototype (+ 1 month).
Finally we will have to make a small batch of probably 25 cases to check the repatability (+1 month). If everything will be fine, we will be able to start preparations for the campaign (probably Indiegogo, because kickstarter is still not available in Poland).

Please also remember we have to talk with you guys about every improvements you would want to talk on every stage of prototyping, and such debate also needs time. Currently we are aiming with crowdfunding campaign at the mid or the end of Summer.

Rebel640

Caliper Novice
Mar 29, 2018
If everything goes well, we will want to order 1st prototype before the end of this month.
After inspection there usually has to be another, 2nd protoype to repair problems from 1st prototype (+ 1 month).
Finally we will have to make a small batch of probably 25 cases to check the repatability (+1 month). If everything will be fine, we will be able to start preparations for the campaign (probably Indiegogo, because kickstarter is still not available in Poland).

Please also remember we have to talk with you guys about every improvements you would want to talk on every stage of prototyping, and such debate also needs time. Currently we are aiming with crowdfunding campaign at the mid or the end of Summer.
If possible please do sell the 25 test units. I'd love to buy one e.g. :)

Thank you

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
ZombiPL, do we have some sizes?

What sizes are you referring to? The case dimensions are staying the same.

How about a new color? I love the color gunmetal.. :oops:

We are planning only black for now. Handling multiple options in the campaign is something we don't want to do if we can avoid it.

We have issues with white powder coating so this, and possible other colours will be available only when our subcontractor will be ready to make those properly, and that will happen when we get into sustainable continuous production and order few more thousands of cases.

If possible please do sell the 25 test units. I'd love to buy one e.g. :)

Test batch is not going to end up on sale. Those units will be tested internally and shipped to reviewers IF the production quality is okay. Otherwise those will be sent back to our subcontractor with documented quality issues.

zey

Cable Smoosher
Oct 18, 2017
If the GPU section is not used will it be possible to fit four 3.5" hard drives? If an additional bracket is need will it be possible to purchase?

It is for an ultra small server built.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
If the GPU section is not used will it be possible to fit four 3.5" hard drives? If an additional bracket is need will it be possible to purchase?

It is for an ultra small server built.

We plan to fit two of those, you could try to fit a third one on top of the drive that is in place of GPU, but that would depend on the drive's thickness - you need to fit under the main rail (the one holding 2.5" drives and riser's pci-e slot) within 50 mm, that's the same restriction as for total height of AIO with fan.

The reason for that is the GPU side perforation is shifted inward and because of that spot for the mounting the 3.5" is under the main rail.

We are also not going to provide brackets for stacking anymore so you'd have to figure out your own solution for this to put one drive above the other.

For a fourth one, it would be really hard to fit as the one in the front is going through the hole in central wall and that's going to be significantly smaller than those 50 mm.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
In the last week some people spoke negatively about motherboard backside access panel, but we haven't heard many opinions supporting it. We are still in the prototyping stage, so we think now it is the time to talk about things which make some controversy. Because of that we made our first straw poll to check what you guys really think about this improvement.

POLL 1: Motherboard backside access panel https://www.strawpoll.me/15507008

Improvement 7. Motherboard backside access panel
After many conversations with you guys, we decided it would be good to have this option. Many of our backers had several coolers they wanted to test in Sentry and having a possibility to access to the back of the motherboard without unscrewing it would really help them. We will check the possibility of this feature in the next prototype (we’re still not sure if we have a right solution for this problem).

Last edited:

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I voted not to include it, as it will ruin the aesthetics for me.

And, usually, back motherboard opening is used to install cooler with backplate when the motherboard is mounted. If you mount a cooler on motherboard first, than you dont have problem. It will only increase complexity....

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I voted not to include it, as it will ruin the aesthetics for me.

And, usually, back motherboard opening is used to install cooler with backplate when the motherboard is mounted. If you mount a cooler on motherboard first, than you dont have problem. It will only increase complexity....

I'd like to be able to switch the cooler out when either the help48 by Dan comes out, or when the cryorig C7 cu comes out. And I'd like to not have to take the whole thing apart.

I do understand what you mean about the asthetic, Though. That being said I don't have a problem with the look. But I'm more about function over form.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
I'd like to be able to switch the cooler out when either the help48 by Dan comes out, or when the cryorig C7 cu comes out. And I'd like to not have to take the whole thing apart.

I do understand what you mean about the asthetic, Though. That being said I don't have a problem with the look. But I'm more about function over form.

We will wait for the results of the poll. At first we received some questions about adding this feature, but when people realized this will affect the external look of the case, then many of them changed their minds. We will not arbitrary be adding some features. If people do not want them, then we won't be forcing them. We will wait few more days and we will decide what to do.

soldierx

What's an ITX?
Apr 16, 2018
Will there be at least a tray cutout behind the mounting points inside the case?

That way we can just remove the shell portion and still access the backplate?

Edit: Just looked at it again and it appears that the backplate is just one solid piece on that side so there isn't a shell to be exact. So, without a cutout this wouldn't be possible.

Last edited:

Bruman

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
Sentry was designed to be futureproof. It means not only the case should be durable but also peripherals should be easily accessible. When we decided that we will add a native support for 120mm AIO, then we needed to do something with the vandal power switch, because it would collide with it. We do not want to design a non-standard switch, because it would disrupt “future-proof” philosophy, so we moved the current switch to the exact center of the case’s front which solved the problem with AIO, but also made another problem with the cables of SFX-L power supply. We needed to make a decision. After the market analysis we decided we can drop the support of SFX-L PSUs, because there are many standard SFX power supplies which can handle almost everything what you can install into Sentry (there are many 500W+ PSUs with even 650W options). For a price of leaving bigger power supplies we are getting a support for 120mm water cooling. We think this is a good deal in such small volume.

Woew, good thing Silverstone is dragging it's heels with releasing the fanless SFX-L PSU or I would be out of luck. Wonder if it would be moddable...

nando

Case Bender
Apr 18, 2018
Replaceable front panel so later on the case can be upgraded with a new front panel with USB type C connectors (once there is a "baffle" type cable that includes USB connectors type A and C)

Last edited:

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Replaceable front panel so Sentry cases can be easily "upgraded" once there is a "baffle" type cable that includes USB connectors type A and C

That's not going to happen. Front panel is an integral part of the case body and making it detachable would complicate things unnecessarily. If there's a baffle in the style of current 2 x A baffles then those who have the 2.0 design will just have the rectangle cutout around the C connector and we'll update the front panel designs for the next revision.

It would be nice of course to have the A + C baffle cable along with the new 3.1 gen 2 motherboard connector, but both are not standard yet. At least in the gen 2 motherboard connector in mITX form factor is not there yet.

nando

Case Bender
Apr 18, 2018
That's not going to happen. Front panel is an integral part of the case body and making it detachable would complicate things unnecessarily. If there's a baffle in the style of current 2 x A baffles then those who have the 2.0 design will just have the rectangle cutout around the C connector and we'll update the front panel designs for the next revision.

It would be nice of course to have the A + C baffle cable along with the new 3.1 gen 2 motherboard connector, but both are not standard yet. At least in the gen 2 motherboard connector in mITX form factor is not there yet.

Would it possible a discreet USB "bracket" that wouldn't break the look of the case and that later on could be upgraded? That would make the case future-proof

Reactions: Biowarejak

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Would it possible a discreet USB "bracket" that wouldn't break the look of the case and that later on could be upgraded? That would make the case future-proof

I don't think so - it would be really difficult to do so with only two layers of steel - we are limited to little over 2mm for the depth of the hole in the front panel due to USB type A spec, We don't want to use different thickness of steel sheets to keep the spot welding simple and we definitely wouldn't want to add bends there.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
gotta say that back panel would be critically important, the tight fit of the USB 3.0 cable coupled with a constant need to remove the nvme drive on the rear has resulted in the breakage of several USB pins, ruining the value of the motherboard.

Reactions: Biowarejak