Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
Thank you, I may consider the black ridge then !
This is interesting. But just for clarification, have you disabled core performance boost in the bios? Because that definitely helped me get in the 70's zone. Of course though, that won't let the cpu go past its clock speeds of 3.6ghz (stock speed). So does yours not go past 3.6ghz?

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
I answered that question about the black ridge compatibility a few pages back in this thread.

Anyway, I'm quite surprised that people are reporting such high temperatures for the 3700x. Granted, I have the black ridge with a 120mm fan, but I'm not seeing temperatures above 77 C when maxing out all cores on cinebench or the calculations I run for work. I am running my cpu completely stock.
This is interesting. But just for clarification, have you disabled core performance boost in the bios? Because that definitely helped me get in the 70's zone. Of course though, that won't let the cpu go past its clock speeds of 3.6ghz (stock speed). So does yours not go past 3.6ghz?

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
Sorry, I meant it to the user you responded to!

Reactions: Dax911

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018

No, it's on. The clock speed reaches almost exactly 4.0 GHz initially, but actually settles at 3.92 GHz all core when running cinebench r20 (with scores of 4680 +/- 30, with single core scoring exactly 500 most of the time) and up to 4.2 GHz or so with my own all core workloads. I think 4.3 GHz is what it tops out at for single/low core tasks, but it might be slightly higher.

I haven't changed any of the voltages/offsets or changed anything from their defaults in the bios, and I haven't used Ryzen master or anything either.

I seem to remember other people with the same cooling setup having similar experiences, so I don't necessarily think I got lucky with my chip or anything. Who knows?

Edit: I rechecked the cinebench all core clock speed, and it's a little lower than I remembered (text updated to reflect that).

Last edited:
Reactions: NeroFX

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
Is it confirmed the issue of pcie gen 3/4 on the gigabyte x570 i pro wifi? When I set it to "auto" the graphics card is seen as pcie 3.0 and the ssd m2 is seen as pcie 4.0.

Cant confirm at the moment as my ssd has gone for RMA to Gigabyte.

Also anybody have a current list of of what motherboards are compatible with the black ridge?

Khio

Caliper Novice
Dec 16, 2019
Hello, for those who have a "Gigabyte Aorus B450 I PRO Wifi" motherboard the new BIOS release, F60C, adds support for the news 5000 series Ryzen.

I also noticed a few improvements that I thought worth notifying, my 3700 X seems to boost slighty higher with more consistency and the "ECO Mode" is now avaiable ( wasn't showing by default for me until now for some reason, unless I manually changed the TDP / PPC )

Reactions: NeroFX and ZombiPL

dinorax

Efficiency Noob
Jan 11, 2019
Is it confirmed the issue of pcie gen 3/4 on the gigabyte x570 i pro wifi? When I set it to "auto" the graphics card is seen as pcie 3.0 and the ssd m2 is seen as pcie 4.0.

Also anybody have a current list of of what motherboards are compatible with the black ridge?
From my personal list, it would be:
> Gigabyte x570i, b550i
> MSI b550i
> ASROCK b550 PG ITX (last resort due to the weird SATA ports)

Personally i am leaning towards gigabyte b550i since i dont need 2x m.2 gen4 slots.. MSI b550i would be a good alternative though i wouldnt be using full range of audio jacks.

GVLT

Cable Smoosher
Nov 20, 2019

Yes, my x570 i pro wifi wasn't even booting with 3080 before I switched from auto to gen3
Now my loading time from boot to windows became around 5-6 seconds, on gen4 it was 1-2.

pulp_party

Cable Smoosher
Mar 19, 2018
It fits:
EVGA 3080 xc3 ultra (only model on stock).
No testing so far.
Paired with a i5 8400, have to see if the bottleneck is bad of its ok playing 4k on the lg CX. If im not happy with performance/temps i will transfer to a bigger case. An keeping the 1070 on the sentry

Last edited:

joker.mn

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 6, 2020
I have the same card, it fits well. However I am not happy with my temps - but might be me having built it incorrectly.

AMD Zen 3 5600X (Cryorig C7G, Noctua 92 pusing at CPU 2500rpm)
Gigabyte Aorus 550i Arous Pro AX
Gigabyte 3060TI eagle OC.
Samsung M.2 Evo 970
GSkill 32gb 3200 CL16

CPU at load hits 75°C
GPU around 80°C

3DMark Standard (Timespy) gives me 10924 score.

I have the feeling the CPU throttles due to heat :/
Star Wars Squadrons VR still stutters like my old 1060 6GB, i5 4570 ...

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
I have the same card, it fits well. However I am not happy with my temps - but might be me having built it incorrectly.

AMD Zen 3 5600X (Cryorig C7G, Noctua 92 pusing at CPU 2500rpm)
Gigabyte Aorus 550i Arous Pro AX
Gigabyte 3060TI eagle OC.
Samsung M.2 Evo 970
GSkill 32gb 3200 CL16

CPU at load hits 75°C
GPU around 80°C

3DMark Standard (Timespy) gives me 10924 score.

I have the feeling the CPU throttles due to heat :/
Star Wars Squadrons VR still stutters like my old 1060 6GB, i5 4570 ...
My 2070 Super FE hit 82 in the Sentry in Stock settings, undervolting it a bit cools it down a ton (now maxes out at 73) with still hitting well over guaranteed boost clocks.

Per Nvidia's website, the 3060 ti max temp is 93 degrees, so if you're hitting 80, you're fine.

As for your CPU, 75 degrees load in the Sentry for a Ryzen 5 5600x sounds normal... My 3600 Hits 78-79 under load. Supposedly the 5600x runs slightly cooler than the 3600, but 75 is not bad at all. You should not be thermal throttling.

I also have the same motherboard you have. What BIOS are you running? Gigabyte has released a ton of BIOS updates for the B550i board in the last 3 weeks. All beta BIOS, tweaking with new Agesa 1.1.0.0 c/d and performance updates for Ryzen 5000 series. I am currently running F11n with zero issues.

joker.mn

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 6, 2020
Thanks for your replies, I have the latest bios update F11.
I did not yet undervolt anything - the main issue I have is that my fan starts blowing when already I try opening a windows explorer or chrome tab.
I used the Gigabyte software to calibrate a fan-curve, but it's extermely loud (compared to my previous Dark Rock 4 135mm).
At which temp did you set which RPM for your fans?

Also, will it make a difference for the CPU in a sentry case if I PUSH or PULL the CPU Fan? Currently it pushed cold air from outside on the CPU.