Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

dmznsdp

Caliper Novice
Jan 5, 2020
Just built a PC in the Sentry. Everything's nice and feels sturdy (Torx screws are a big part of that feeling), but the cover is bent by the PCIe clamp at the top in vertical orientation or on the left side in horizontal. What should I do about that?

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Just built a PC in the Sentry. Everything's nice and feels sturdy (Torx screws are a big part of that feeling), but the cover is bent by the PCIe clamp at the top in vertical orientation or on the left side in horizontal. What should I do about that?
Can you take a picture to show what you mean? That doesn't sound right. I have a very slight misalignment between the two parts that clamp the pcie card from above and below, probably because of the bends in the metal on the graphics card itself. It doesn't cause anything else to bend or warp out of shape though.

I tried taking a photo of what I mean, but you can't really tell.

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
This part is bent to a simple curve because it rests on the PCIe clamp.

Well, it shouldn't be doing that. Does the clamp part look like this (see spoiler below) when the cover is not on? The only thing I can think of is that maybe you've put the clamp over the top of the bottom piece, instead of under it.

If it's not that, maybe you have an incompatible graphics card, or maybe the clamp piece you have is bent?

aaaadrian

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
Good news guys, I updated my gigabyte x570i mb bios to the latest (f31o) today and found that gigabyte has separated out pcie x16 speed from m2 slot speed. There are now 2 separate options: pcie x16 slot speed and pcie slot speed. I set the first one to gen3 and left the second one as auto. I have benchmarked my ssd again and can confirm that this allows my nvme ssd to run at gen4 speed.

I still wish that there exists a sentry 2.0 compatible gen4 riser though. After updating my bios, I had to tear apart my wife's build again to borrow her graphics card so that I can boot into bios and set the correct values. This has been a big PITA as I had to do this every time I update my bios.

dmznsdp

Caliper Novice
Jan 5, 2020
Well, it shouldn't be doing that. Does the clamp part look like this (see spoiler below) when the cover is not on? The only thing I can think of is that maybe you've put the clamp over the top of the bottom piece, instead of under it.

If it's not that, maybe you have an incompatible graphics card, or maybe the clamp piece you have is bent?
Looks like it! Thanks for pointing it out.

UPD: Suppose this is the cover that is bent, not the clamp.

UPD2: That definitely was the cover. Well, I've been prepared for that kind of things when I've seen that Sentries are made by hand.

Last edited:

dmznsdp

Caliper Novice
Jan 5, 2020
I still wish that there exists a sentry 2.0 compatible gen4 riser though.

This is it I suppose:

aaaadrian

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
This is it I suppose:
Oh so happy to see that LINKUP released a 5cm riser! However this still doesn't seem compatible for another reason:
Biggest issue is the PCB width underneath the socket. Sentry 2.0 comes with a reinforcement bracket that holds riser with 2 screws, and in order to fit within the bracket, the PCB has to be narrow and cannot have any mounting holes built into it which most of riser cables on the market have.

This makes finding a compatible riser really hard. The one I tried is "Athena Power 50mm/1.97" CABLE-PCIE16A1-5V2" and it DOES NOT work with the bracket unless I cut the PCB?

Dax911

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2019
Good news guys, I updated my gigabyte x570i mb bios to the latest (f31o) today and found that gigabyte has separated out pcie x16 speed from m2 slot speed. There are now 2 separate options: pcie x16 slot speed and pcie slot speed. I set the first one to gen3 and left the second one as auto. I have benchmarked my ssd again and can confirm that this allows my nvme ssd to run at gen4 speed.

I still wish that there exists a sentry 2.0 compatible gen4 riser though. After updating my bios, I had to tear apart my wife's build again to borrow her graphics card so that I can boot into bios and set the correct values. This has been a big PITA as I had to do this every time I update my bios.
My god , I've just bought the asus x570-i yesterday , I hope they will do the same , I can't find any option like that in their website under the bios update page.

aaaadrian

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
You should be fine. If you jump a few pages back I reported that my asus b550i mb has separate pcie speed control for each pcie and m2 slot.

Reactions: Dax911

Dax911

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2019
You should be fine. If you jump a few pages back I reported that my asus b550i mb has separate pcie speed control for each pcie and m2 slot.
What a relief, thank you :). Waiting for ces 2021 in January now, just in case a 5700x Ryzen pops up, apparently there has been some leaks but I don't know if they are legitimate.

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Oh so happy to see that LINKUP released a 5cm riser! However this still doesn't seem compatible for another reason:
Biggest issue is the PCB width underneath the socket. Sentry 2.0 comes with a reinforcement bracket that holds riser with 2 screws, and in order to fit within the bracket, the PCB has to be narrow and cannot have any mounting holes built into it which most of riser cables on the market have.

This makes finding a compatible riser really hard. The one I tried is "Athena Power 50mm/1.97" CABLE-PCIE16A1-5V2" and it DOES NOT work with the bracket unless I cut the PCB?
This riser won’t work with 4.0. They say it will but there are Videos on YouTube where people tested it and it doesn’t work. There is a 3m riser that ships with the Dan A4 case which should work. Scroll a few pages back to see the discussion about it

Reactions: aaaadrian

Dax911

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2019
I was wondering, what's the point to have a pcie 4.0 riser now if the motherboard can separate the pcie lanes ? For what I've red gpu's won't be able to reach pcie 4.0 speed anyway for now. ( Honest questions ,not trying to heat things up) .

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
Anyone else with the black ridge cooler with a 120 mm noctua fan finding it quite noisy? Mine is basically silent until 50% fan speed, but then it gets kinda annoying above that.

I tested the fan in both orientations (but not fully inclosed in the case with everything in it), and I found the pull configuration to be louder, but now I am doubting my choice...

Hey, I was wondering what the latest is on the fan noise in the black ridge cooler? I have the 92mm noctua fan in pull, not push. Will try the push configuration if it is better.

Also, what vlp ram do you have? Just did a little reading, is 8GB the biggest size?

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020
Right everyone, something terrible has happened to my case. Last night, one of Torx screws that tighten the top of half of the case on, it wouldn't come off.
Obviously the more I tried the more worn away the screw got. My landlord is an engineer and came in to help, he tried various other drivers.
In the end, it had to be drilled out, so now there's a hole there. Considering what's happened, it doesn't look too bad, just a slightly bigger whole.

Today I changed my LINK ribbon PCI-E 4.0 riser over to the stock riser (it worked for 10 minutes then the screen kept switching off). I put everything back together, and guess what, another screw won't come out? The one nearest the USB header.
I've had this case for over year, and I'll hold my hands up and say I like to tinker with it now and then. But why is this suddenly happening?

More importantly, what can I do about it? I'm going to have to drill this one out now.

Can you buy replacement parts for this?

I'm feeling really, really s*** right now, I have no idea what to do. 😩

I will post picture when I know how, I've never done it before.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Right everyone, something terrible has happened to my case. Last night, one of Torx screws that tighten the top of half of the case on, it wouldn't come off.
Obviously the more I tried the more worn away the screw got. My landlord is an engineer and came in to help, he tried various other drivers.
In the end, it had to be drilled out, so now there's a hole there. Considering what's happened, it doesn't look too bad, just a slightly bigger whole.

Today I changed my LINK ribbon PCI-E 4.0 riser over to the stock riser (it worked for 10 minutes then the screen kept switching off). I put everything back together, and guess what, another screw won't come out? The one nearest the USB header.
I've had this case for over year, and I'll hold my hands up and say I like to tinker with it now and then. But why is this suddenly happening?

More importantly, what can I do about it? I'm going to have to drill this one out now.

Can you buy replacement parts for this?

I'm feeling really, really s*** right now, I have no idea what to do. 😩

I will post picture when I know how, I've never done it before.

imgur.com

Just select new post in the upper left corner, and after you upload paste the link here.

Reactions: NeroFX

NeroFX

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2020

The best my phone can do really.

The 1st one is the drilled hole, the 2nd is the current stripped screw.

Last edited:

Atremo

Caliper Novice
Mar 3, 2018
I have the same card, it fits well. However I am not happy with my temps - but might be me having built it incorrectly.

AMD Zen 3 5600X (Cryorig C7G, Noctua 92 pusing at CPU 2500rpm)
Gigabyte Aorus 550i Arous Pro AX
Gigabyte 3060TI eagle OC.
Samsung M.2 Evo 970
GSkill 32gb 3200 CL16

CPU at load hits 75°C
GPU around 80°C

3DMark Standard (Timespy) gives me 10924 score.

I have the feeling the CPU throttles due to heat :/
Star Wars Squadrons VR still stutters like my old 1060 6GB, i5 4570 ...

Thank you for info!

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Hey, I was wondering what the latest is on the fan noise in the black ridge cooler? I have the 92mm noctua fan in pull, not push. Will try the push configuration if it is better.

Also, what vlp ram do you have? Just did a little reading, is 8GB the biggest size?

I never tested with a 92 mm fan, but for a 120mm slim Noctua fan, the pull configuration leads to much better CPU thermals, meaning the fan doesn't ramp up under normal/light loads. I set a fan curve that bottoms out at 40% (essentially silent) and stays low until it gets to about 70C, where it ramps up pretty sharply. At full tilt, which doesn't happen in games but will if you do anything taxing on your CPU, it's not quiet, but neither is it unacceptably loud in my opinion. It's quieter/less annoying than my Dell precision laptop under full load, for sure.

The only advantage that I found with a push configuration was that it gives lower chipset and ram temperatures, the latter of which turned out to be important for their stability when I overclocked them.

For reference, I have the Ryzen 7 3700x, running completely stock.

As for your question about VLP ram, I have some Innodisk 2x16GB sticks, which I got from server factory in the UK. You should look at the VLP ram thread on this forum for info about that, I have posted more info about timings etc. there, and other users have compared different sticks that are available. As far as I remember, the best sticks are from v-color if you can find them, but there are a few options (at least when I last looked, availability of almost anything seems pretty iffy right now).

Reactions: NeroFX