Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

Khio

Caliper Novice
Dec 16, 2019
Actually nvidia debunked that and both fans pull the air from the bottom of the card. One will blow the air into the CPU area in standard ATX layout and the second one will blow out the hot air at the back.

What I meant is with that cooling setting the rear fan won't do much in a Sentry case, even if the RTX 3080 would somehow fit into the case the rear fan would just blow hot air onto the air pocket at the back of the case.

Actually I even think if you don't use an AIO in a standard case you might even blow hot air on the CPU cooler and rise CPU temp.

We will have to wait for AIB models with a standard cooling system with 2 or 3 fan, the RTX 3070 design looks like the RTX 2080 reference, but again I think it is still too thick and too high for Sentry. So far RTX 3000 doesn't seems to be SFFPC friendly !

Dax911

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2019
The ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge seems to be a good match for the sentry size wise, even if the tdp is still a bit too high for the sentry. If the size is compatible I will probably take this model. What do you guys think ? ( not taking it for gaming but only 3d modeling and programmation).

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
The ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge seems to be a good match for the sentry size wise, even if the tdp is still a bit too high for the sentry. If the size is compatible I will probably take this model. What do you guys think ? ( not taking it for gaming but only 3d modeling and programmation).

Wait what? How did you figure this huge thing will fit:

This is like 20 mm too tall to fit.

Also I wouldn't touch ZOTAC until I have seen actual photos, because as always they put renders on the product website that don't depict actual product.

valentyn_l

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 16, 2019
I would love to see if there's going to be any 3090's that would dimensionally fit inside the Sentry 2.0.

I currently have a 2080 Ti blower inside mine and although temps are hot enough to throttle in certain games like Jedi: Fallen Order, I would still be comfortable with 80+ degrees going into Ampere.

I just hope a reference 3080 won't thermal throttle as that would be my sweet spot.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I would love to see if there's going to be any 3090's that would dimensionally fit inside the Sentry 2.0.

There may be some 2.5 slot wide cards that will fit, but they will either scratch the fans or will be loud because of fans being too close to perforation. Also 3090 is definitely too much for Sentry.

pulp_party

Cable Smoosher
Mar 19, 2018
The "smaller" non FE 3080, with confirmed specs it´s the EVGA XC3: 285mm/2.2 Slot (45.1mm). And, if it fits wich I doubt, the fans will scream on the Sentry.
I had made that mistake on the past, changed the Cryorig C9 CU (with noctua fan) for the Noctua Nh-l9i, so much quiter system.
The 220W of the 3070 FE too much for the sentry?

valentyn_l

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 16, 2019
The "smaller" non FE 3080, with confirmed specs it´s the EVGA XC3: 285mm/2.2 Slot (45.1mm). And, if it fits wich I doubt, the fans will scream on the Sentry.
I had made that mistake on the past, changed the Cryorig C9 CU (with noctua fan) for the Noctua Nh-l9i, so much quiter system.
The 220W of the 3070 FE too much for the sentry?
Fan noise isn't really a problem for me tbh I mean, I'm running a blower-style 2080 Ti in mine after all. As long as it fits and the fans don't hit against the grill of the case, it's all cakey.

SFFGUY

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 4, 2020
Looks like the EVGA XC3 is the safest 3080. These are the sizes EVGA confirmed. I am going to have to play with undervolting and I have the Corsair SF750 80 PLUS Platinum for the PSU to play it safe.

Thickness of the 3090/3080 XC3 models with backplate (XC3 Ultra/XC3) is 1.78in. - 45.1mm.
Thickness of the 3090/3080 XC3 models without backplate (XC3 Black) is 1.61in. - 40.9mm.

Thickness of the 3090/3080 FTW3 models with backplate (i.e. all of them) is 2.19in. - 55.55mm.
Thickness of the 3090/3080 FTW3 models without backplate (manually remove) is 2.02in. - 51.35mm.

Dax911

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2019
Wait what? How did you figure this huge thing will fit:

This is like 20 mm too tall to fit.

Also I wouldn't touch ZOTAC until I have seen actual photos, because as always they put renders on the product website that don't depict actual product.
I've been misled by the picture it seems :( , I've been waiting for a whole year for this next gen to happen with my sentry still unwrapped to wake up one morning in front of the giant gpu lineup from Nvidia. This is so sad ... I hope that one manufacturer will relase a mini version of the 3070 and will actually be aware that the sff community still exists.

dmznsdp

Caliper Novice
Jan 5, 2020
I've been misled by the picture it seems :( , I've been waiting for a whole year for this next gen to happen with my sentry still unwrapped to wake up one morning in front of the giant gpu lineup from Nvidia. This is so sad ... I hope that one manufacturer will relase a mini version of the 3070 and will actually be aware that the sff community still exists.
They are aware of SFF. They have some mini cards.

Last edited:

kai535

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2020
Intel will want some smaller cards due to their new nuc system taking cards smaller than 200mm and that was just released a few months back so hopefully that v has some pull

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Intel will want some smaller cards due to their new nuc system taking cards smaller than 200mm and that was just released a few months back so hopefully that v has some pull

You can't cheat physics. 320W TDP to dissipate isn't going to magically fit into 180W ITX-sized form factor.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Looks like the EVGA XC3 is the safest 3080. These are the sizes EVGA confirmed. I am going to have to play with undervolting and I have the Corsair SF750 80 PLUS Platinum for the PSU to play it safe.

Thickness of the 3090/3080 XC3 models with backplate (XC3 Ultra/XC3) is 1.78in. - 45.1mm.
Thickness of the 3090/3080 XC3 models without backplate (XC3 Black) is 1.61in. - 40.9mm.

Thickness of the 3090/3080 FTW3 models with backplate (i.e. all of them) is 2.19in. - 55.55mm.
Thickness of the 3090/3080 FTW3 models without backplate (manually remove) is 2.02in. - 51.35mm.

Where did you get those dimensions from? Can't find those on the EVGA website.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
We could do undervolting, as long as the card can physically fit in the case.

But that's essentially going to end up with diminishing returns. Once you undervolt significantly to reduce the thermal output, at the same time it means your clocks will drop. You won't shave off 150W from the power draw and keep the same performance.

I'm all in for the 3080, hopefully the XC3 one from EVGA will fit, but hoping for a small itx sized 3080 is futile.

If there's going to be a card that will fit in this new NUC, then it'll probably grow in other dimensions as well to fit within the length limit.

pulp_party

Cable Smoosher
Mar 19, 2018
Just for the sake of curiosity, and deviating of the 3000 topic, did someone try to fit a triple fan GPU, a single radiator liquid cooling and an hdplex 400W? Just for fun and exploring crazy ideas. I think there is no point at all on that configurarion cause of the 400w restrictions, but interested on the looks

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017

Thanks for the link

So essentially it looks like this:
From top of PCB at the back of the card to perforation down below there is 48 mm of space.
From top of the PCI bracket at the back of the card to perforation down below there is 49 mm of space (bracket is bent around and screwed at the back of the card usually).
From the top of assumed cooler retention screws at the back of PCB or a backplate that is offset by 5 mm from the PCB, there is 53 mm of distance to perforation.
The physical quadro card that I have on my hands to check things out, that has backplate offset by 3 mm, is 40 mm thick.

It seems like the backplate is adding 4.2 mm of thickness to those cards, but at the same time it looks like it's 5 mm offset from the surface of the PCB and the PCI bracket is something like 0.8 mm thick.

It looks like there will be 8 mm of space between the card and perforation so it should be okay in Sentry 2.0 (considering the potential noise caused by fans being too close to perforation, not the 320W TDP).

They are stating 2.2 slot thickness though because you can't put two of those cards next to each other since in reference design the front should hide a little behind the PCI bracket (or it's reference width, a single slot is 20.35 mm wide) if you want to squeeze in the second card's backplate or even cooler retention screws sticking out at 3~5 mm from the PCB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Talyrius

SFFGUY

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 4, 2020
Thanks for the measurements. I will report on my results when I get my hands on one. I anticipate having to underclock significantly in addition to the undervolt. I just felt that since the 3080 is priced only $200 more than the 3070 that its worth playing with.