Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
Fun fact - you know what Cryorig still can't do properly with C7G? You can't mount the cooler on AM4 with just included wrench/screwdriver because you need to move the standoff/distance screws and the included wrench/screwdriver can't be used for those. They are pretty tightly screwed in. You need a flat 8 mm wrench for that regardless of the fact that included wrench/screwdriver thing is 8 mm as well.

Replaced the fan with noctua one. On low RPMs the noise tone is better and is somewhat tolerable. On full load it still whines though.
Any difference with temps?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017

Not really scientific approach here, but roughly it looks like this:
I'm running War Thunder at 144Hz freesync @ 1440p. I've fixed the clock to 4GHz on 3700X at 1.15v and I have 60W PPT as in "45W ECO mode".
NH-L9i was running on something around 55 degrees C on stock/normal fan curve
C7G was running similarly on something around 55 degrees C on stock/normal curve, but was loud as hell
C7G was running around 57 degrees with NH-L9 fan but the noise has a better tone, but it still whines.
C7G was running around 62 degrees with NH-L9 fan at fan curve moved really far so it starts raising from 30% at 50 degrees C. Somewhat bearable whine on load, but the temps increased.

I'll think about what should I test, but after testing this much I feel like this is meaningless. NH-L9a feels hell lot better acoustic-wise.

will the sentry 2.0 ever be back to buy

We had this batch made especially because there was a window of opportunity to do make one and we'll be occupied with other projects probably for the rest of the year. We were promising people that there will be a chance to get it after campaign and we wanted to deliver on that promise.

By the way - most of the cases from the batch were shipped this morning. Under a dozen of cases to Poland and Russia were shipped on Friday because local shipments are handled by local DHL franchise which is separate company and shipments to Russia went by post and had to be handled through customs agency.

Also to clear things out, because quite a lot of those who placed the orders this time couldn't figure this out from the sale terms: we are literally never shipping orders one by one in first-in-first-out manner. We need to prepare a batch and keep track of placed orders not to make a mess of it when shipping. Also we've got better pricing on shipments if we do it this way because the courier will come to us once or twice instead of picking up few packages every day for two weeks.
Because of that we stated that we'll ship withing 10 working days, which is essentially two weeks, because we need that time to go through all paperwork internally (invoicing) and externally with DHL and customs agency for orders from Russia.

Interesting thing is that a lot of people still seemed scared about their order not being fulfilled, even when we have already delivered over 2000 units in two campaigns, and Paypal protects the buyer from being scammed.

Khio

Caliper Novice
Dec 16, 2019
Thanks for the testing ! I guess it's not worth trying to fit the C7 then !

I just made a square simple fan duct with an old black plastic file folder, it will probably have more effect than changing the heatsink then !

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
just to be clear on this, its only 95W TDP or higher, with a Noctua fan being swapped.

not with its stock fan.

you have to swap a Noctua fan, to get 95W TDP.

if you sand down 2mm off your Noctua fan, then a copper C7 or Graphene-copper C7 cooler will work, at 95W TDP or higher.

what everyone has to remember is that you have to combine both, of what i'm saying above, as in a P & J sandwich.

you need both, in order for it to work correctly.

just like you need peanut butter with jelly.

Last edited:

Khio

Caliper Novice
Dec 16, 2019
I think I have something interesting ?

So I just made this, that's the dummy made of tissue box, the plastic one is in the Sentry, it's 92 x 92 x 25, it sits on the NH-L9A heatsink :

and i got really interesting temp actually, I ran x264 encoding with handbrake, last time I tried this was in winter and I was throttling at 95C when the 3700X was in default settings, at 88W and today in summer here is what I just got

Redux-Limited

Caliper Novice
Sep 1, 2019
One thing I'm going to try (my case is arriving tomorrow apparently :D) is swap the stock NF-A92x14 with the NF-A9 PWM one. It might not do anything (most likely) but I have nothing better to do, so yeah.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
One thing I'm going to try (my case is arriving tomorrow apparently :D) is swap the stock NF-A92x14 with the NF-A9 PWM one. It might not do anything (most likely) but I have nothing better to do, so yeah.
I did test that. The same effect of fan being close to perforation and being loud because of that.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
The same effect of fan being close to perforation and being loud because of that.

i've mentioned this.

unless a customer wants to mod their Sentry, they'll have to sand down the Noctua fan 2mm, so there's an airgap of 3mm.

a 3mm airgap is necessary.

Redux-Limited

Caliper Novice
Sep 1, 2019
I did test that. The same effect of fan being close to perforation and being loud because of that.

i've mentioned this.

unless a customer wants to mod their Sentry, they'll have to sand down the Noctua fan 2mm, so there's an airgap of 3mm.

a 3mm airgap is necessary.

You ruined my plans for tomorrow then hahah, now seriously I tried to read as much posts as I could, but I didn't remember you tried this with the NH-l9a, I thought it was only made with the Cryorig C7 variants.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I did try it. https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...sized-gaming-pc-case.7106/page-32#post-145622

There's a lot of stuff we have actually tested before deciding on how to proceed with each version of Sentry. We've got a stack of those transparent plastic containers filled with CPU coolers, AIO's, fans, graphic cards, hard drives etc.

From what we've tested, researched and used, the most reasonable setup for cooling would be either NH-L9i/a or something with a flower style fan like the intel box cooler where the fan intake area would be separated from the rest of the motherboard. Similarly like the funnel idea, but making it wider should enable more air to get through. also reducing the free flow area around the motherboard where the cooler ejects hot air should help directing it somehow.

This concept is something that people at intel did research years ago: https://doc.xdevs.com/doc/_PC_HW/Form_factors/uATX_SFF_Case_Study_Rev1_0.pdf

Also steam machine prototype tried to do it this way:

Note that the funnel isn't just tightly around the fan intake, but it tries to control the exhaust flow from the side as well.

The issue we had was that each motherboard will have socket in slightly different position, coolers will vary etc, so making this kind of compartment a universal one would really be tricky.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017

yes, but you must do all of the steps listed.

what everyone has to remember is that you have to combine both, of what i'm saying above, as in a P & J sandwich.

you need both, in order for it to work correctly.

just like you need peanut butter with jelly.

You ruined my plans for tomorrow then hahah, now seriously I tried to read as much posts as I could, but I didn't remember you tried this

step1 - buy C7 copper, or C7 graphene, then remove stock fan

step2 - get Noctua fan, then sand down 2mm, or mod Sentry as shown in video above, so airgap is 3mm

step3 - attach Noctua fan to C7 copper, or C7 graphene

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux-Limited

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Has anyone tried this 92mm Fan Shroud from @Thehack with the Noctua NH-L9?

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
So when you do all the steps you mentioned @Instran0 you have 46mm in height or 45mm?
I don’t want to get anyone’s nerves just want to know with the Thernalright axp 90R and a Noctua fan you get a height of 46mm. Is that enough of an airgap or still too much? I’m considering buying this because I prefer Blowerstyle coolers and the Black Ridge does perform well but it also will make some noise when you put the fan as an intake like Optimun Tech mentioned.
My Case will arrive today that’s super fast. Thanks @SaperPL for this beautiful piece of case.

vvv

Trash Compacter
Nov 1, 2018
Got the delivery incoming notification earlier ETA 2 days; I wish I could have ordered one of each color, I'm glad I didn't attempt to and risk have my order cancelled ?

Very excited to build in this case, thank you for following through with the promised post-campaign batch and allowing as many people the change to purchase one.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
So when you do all the steps you mentioned @Instran0 you have 46mm in height or 45mm?

if you're doing the method of cutting a hole, in your Sentry [ see above video ] ,then C7 height stays at 47mm or higher, but airgap is infinite.

if you're doing the method of sanding down the Noctua fan 2mm, then C7 height will be 45mm, which should be a 3mm airgap.

obviously, you don't do both methods.

you choose only one method.

here's video proof from Linus Tech Tips, that a sanded down Noctua fan works properly, in a S4M Classic :

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Ok so the goal is to achieve 45mm in height. Even with the AXP-90R you're 1mm higher than that. I'm curious if the 1mm will make a huge difference in sound.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Ok so the goal is to achieve 45mm in height. Even with the AXP-90R you're 1mm higher than that. I'm curious if the 1mm will make a huge difference in sound.

3mm is the absolute minimum for an airgap.

4mm or 5mm is even better.

Last edited: