Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

andy66

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2019
I can attest to my 9900k on my big rig overclocked to 5ghz pulls 200watts of power and a 360mm radiator barely keeps it in check. A lot of motherboards though have a 95w setting on the 9900k which brings the temperatures way down. I believe Linus tech tips had a video showing it

Can't find that video, maybe you have a link? Rgarding the black Ridge, can you recommend good VLP ram?

nph84

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Yeah, as John Grimm already said, it can get noisy. As i'm using the system in my living room with large atmos speakers, i don't realize it too much. The cooler itself is really great, but the fan is a bit of an issue. Before i tested with a noctua L9i, but as i'm using a 9900K, the noctua was too weak to get acceptable temperatures. So if there is a good alternative (fan) or even a easy mod for the case, please let us know :)
Is it loud even with a noctua fan installed? I have a Cryorig CU with an adapter and a noctua.

Reactions: andy66

ZeQreda

Efficiency Noob
May 9, 2019
Is it loud even with a noctua fan installed? I have a Cryorig CU with an adapter and a noctua.
I haven't tested this in the Sentry but, with the Dan case (same CPU clearance as Sentry) the Noctua fan will be louder when paired with the C7 due to the distance to the side panel. But it's torelable (unlike the C7's stock fan.)

Azeas

Efficiency Noob
Oct 28, 2019
kingston valueram 2666 mhz 8gb single rank vlp sticks are nice, I have 2 of them oc'd to 3600 18-20-20-20-38 with my 3800x
I have the same one and can also recommend it. I have it fully stable running 3600@1.38 16-17-18-20-37 on my Ryzen 3600X. Maybe you can try these tighter timings also? Still want to do further fine tuning when I have the time. Voltage is minimum @1.38V but my mainboard draws about 1.42V in reality it seems.
Have you manually tuned the subtimings yet?

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
I have the same one and can also recommend it. I have it fully stable running 3600@1.38 16-17-18-20-37 on my Ryzen 3600X. Maybe you can try these tighter timings also? Still want to do further fine tuning when I have the time. Voltage is minimum @1.38V but my mainboard draws about 1.42V in reality it seems.
Have you manually tuned the subtimings yet?
I havent tried with the subtimings, and tbh those timings I'm using were the first ones I tried and I just kept them :D Maybe Ill fiddle with it a bit more

@andy66
KVR26N19S8L/8 is the part number. 2 different versions are sold under that part number, the older one is made in china and uses hynix cjr dies, the newer one is made in taiwan with nanya dies. I am using one of each in my rig right now without any issues (not optimal I know, but I didn't find any more cjr dimms)

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Hello guys!

Is possible to fit in Sentry 2.0 motherboard DTX? I mean this one: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Impact/

This image says: Nope.

nph84

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Not tested that yet. Wich CPU do you use? What temperatures do oyu get with the Cryorig CU and noctua fan combination?
3700x, with the cryorig and the noctua in my old case (Sugo SG05) I was getting like 40 ish degrees during normal operations gaming and all, with the l9a in the sentry I get low 50's on the regular. I have not tried the cryorig in the sentry because of the things people were saying about the fan noise. I was just trying to get a consensus before I deem whether it's worth it to try the cryorig out. I would go with blackridge if my motherboard was compatible (MSI b450i) without mods.

Last edited:

andy66

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2019
3700x, with the cryorig and the noctua in my old case I was getting like 40 ish degrees during normal operations gaming and all, with the l9a in the sentry I get low 50's on the regular. I have not tried the cryorig in the sentry because of the things people were saying about the fan noise. I was just trying to get a consensus before I deem whether it's worth it to try the cryorig out. I would go with blackridge if my motherboard was compatible (MSI b450i) without mods.

Ok, these temps are not bad. But your 3700x has a TDP of 65W, my 9900k is rated at 95W, but consumes a lot more. How much does your 3700x draw at load?

nph84

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Ok, these temps are not bad. But your 3700x has a TDP of 65W, my 9900k is rated at 95W, but consumes a lot more. How much does your 3700x draw at load?
I have no clue what it draws, the 9900k at the 95 watt TDP setting is supposed to do really well at downscaling to accomodate high temps

andy66

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2019
I have no clue what it draws, the 9900k at the 95 watt TDP setting is supposed to do really well at downscaling to accomodate high temps

Currently i have not set any Limitation reagrding the TDP in the UEFI, so i let the CPU clock itself completely. Only undervolting just a bit.

What is a recommended 120mm fan for the black ridge? Found a Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM...

nph84

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Currently i have not set any Limitation reagrding the TDP in the UEFI, so i let the CPU clock itself completely. Only undervolting just a bit.

What is a recommended 120mm fan for the black ridge? Found a Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM...
What you found is the recommended fan IF you have very low profile memory which there are not that many varieties of in DDR4, but they exist.