Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

raiyuki

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 6, 2019
Just a heads up. I'm using a Zotac 1080ti amp edition from my older build and it definitely does not fit in the case. So I did some research and just bought two of those 8 pin female to 8 pin male 180 degree adapters. If my measurements are correct, It should be just enough clearance to fit the back panel if I include a lot of sag.
I also was able to fit another SSD with the black ridge by taking out an ssd case screw, open up that screw slot with another wider one, then open it up again with a sentry 2.0 black screw. It's locked in place with that one screw. I'll update the horrors of my build.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Just a heads up. I'm using a Zotac 1080ti amp edition from my older build and it definitely does not fit in the case. So I did some research and just bought two of those 8 pin female to 8 pin male 180 degree adapters.

I sold that exact card a few months ago after seeing how wide it is. I thought there would be 0 chance of it fitting, even after considering those 180 degree adapters. I'm curious as to how you do and if there's room back there with the air pocket taking up the height I thought you'd need to fit the cabling.

CodeToT

What's an ITX?
Oct 6, 2019
what's max size of gpu card i can put in the case? actually i'm looking at msi 1660s gaming x, on compatibility sheets it says no but.....i really want this card D:

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
what's max size of gpu card i can put in the case? actually i'm looking at msi 1660s gaming x, on compatibility sheets it says no but.....i really want this card D:
You've got the measurements on the website and link to it on top of the list. Note that there are multiple measurements because measurements on the product pages are taken in various points so you have to figure out how were they taken or you have to have the card physically for measurement.

One thing that I'd like to point out, which a lot of people can't figure out, is that you should look how far from the PCI bracket end (where you put the screw in) is top end of the card. Reference card will have like 6mm to the top from the bracket end, while most of the strix cards and those msi cards with huge fans will have 3 or 4 cm there.

Dustbunnyck

Caliper Novice
Nov 10, 2019
You've got the measurements on the website and link to it on top of the list. Note that there are multiple measurements because measurements on the product pages are taken in various points so you have to figure out how were they taken or you have to have the card physically for measurement.

One thing that I'd like to point out, which a lot of people can't figure out, is that you should look how far from the PCI bracket end (where you put the screw in) is top end of the card. Reference card will have like 6mm to the top from the bracket end, while most of the strix cards and those msi cards with huge fans will have 3 or 4 cm there.
For me part of the biggest deal for buying a founder's edition card vs 3rd party is the compatibility with so many sff cases

Reactions: SaperPL

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Question about shipments. Do they only go out Friday or is there a chance for one during the week?

Not only on Friday. Everything depends when we will receive shipping labels from DHL. One batch of those we received today. We will print them, stick them to the packages, and another batch will leave probably tomorrow. And another one probably on Wednesday (if we will get another batch of labels tomorrow). It is a very busy time for courier companies, and we understand them. We wanted to send all the packages faster (same day, or at least same week), but we are not receiving as many or as big trucks we want, and also because of DHL and customs service's paperwork we can send only limited number of packages per day/week. However, with such plan, it is possible that by the end of this week about 90% of the packages will be sent.

cyberhoundMkII

Cable Smoosher
Sep 7, 2018
Got mine today, and it got me more excited than a kid getting legos for Christmas.

Damn, the packaging is so nice. The case is flawless.

What is currently the best hardware configuration you can put inside... within reason? Is there something coming up, that I should wait for? I probably asked the same question few months ago, but that is a long time for this industry... I really want to go all in on this one.

I saw Asus ROG Strix X570-I, and that 2x M.2 slots got me really sweaty, but I don't know how it fits or performs there.

Man, I'm happy.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Hey @ZombiPL, given your measurements and tryouts, which are the most powerful GPUs half length (mini-itx), to pair with a 120mm AiO CPU liquid cooler?
While we are at it, which AiOs did you find easier to install, if any?
And would you recommend, for a gaming setup, a mini-ITX GPU and an AiO solution for CPU or would the balance be too unbalanced towards the CPU, having no reason to OC it 'cause the GPU would be a "bottleneck" anyway?
I'm starting to plan my next rig and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible for an informed purchase.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Hey @ZombiPL, given your measurements and tryouts, which are the most powerful GPUs half length (mini-itx), to pair with a 120mm AiO CPU liquid cooler?
While we are at it, which AiOs did you find easier to install, if any?
And would you recommend, for a gaming setup, a mini-ITX GPU and an AiO solution for CPU or would the balance be too unbalanced towards the CPU, having no reason to OC it 'cause the GPU would be a "bottleneck" anyway?
I'm starting to plan my next rig and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible for an informed purchase.

For AIO setup:
Gigabyte's RTX 2070 Mini, although their passive fan mode is annoying as hell and they aren't doing anything about it
For the fan, I'd recommend deepcool GS120 on top of 27mm radiator.
Silverstone Tundra and Corsair's H75 (the one with asetek pump) were tested and fit well, the H55 with asetek pump has significantly shorter hoses and this made it not that easy to rout.
I'm also thinking about option to use a pci-e x8 riser with AIO setup to route the hoses over the slot to the CPU, but I haven't had time to play around with that.

If you don't have some really CPU-intensive workloads, I'd recommend going for the balanced setup with full length GPU though and picking up NH-L9a on some 65W TDP CPU.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
If you don't have some really CPU-intensive workloads, I'd recommend going for the balanced setup with full length GPU though and picking up NH-L9a on some 65W TDP CPU.
That's my Plan A but, considering my current game rig is an I7 2600K on a Z77 mini itx with a beefy RX 590 (Sapphire Nitro+, which definitely won't fit into a Sentry) and G.Skill Ares DDR3, when I'll build a system into the Sentry I'll just have to throw away (aka recycle into a secondary machine) my actual build and start another one anew.
As of now, I'm leaned towards a Ryzen 3700X with whatever mITX MoBo will leave me option for either Noctua NH-L9a or Alpenfohn Black Ridge (btw, in the comments I read the Aorus x570 is compatible with Black Ridge, is there any other motherboard you had the chance to check?), DDR4 accordingly and a Radeon GPU, either a blower 5700 XT or the future gen GPU, depending on budget and what's gonna be avaiable when I'll shop.

But I like to have option and the notion of alternatives so, the more info I can gather, the better. Plus, it's good info for whoever is reading us. ?

raiyuki

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 6, 2019
Sorry for the delay on my part. I realized I need two orders of the adapters at least from Amazon (not the cheapest) because one is 180 degrees up and another 180 degrees down.
Now I got the side panel on, but it's definitely not what I call fitting perfectly. I would need like 6-7mm to be the most comfortable. 6mm being a tad too close.

So if you have a large card and it's 6-7mm shorter height wise compared to the 1080 ti zotac amp edition, the adapters will allow you to close the case.

I'll definitely be living it with this until a giant upgrade from a 11gb 1080 ti is worth it.

Reactions: rfarmer

dtagirov

Chassis Packer
Nov 28, 2019
Holy mother of god that last pic looks bad

I agree with you, it looks disgusting

I can’t imagine how he can do such horror in the case with your own hands, which is only in one copy (it is unlikely that he bought two)
this is real steel, which is damn hard to bend, but this guy was able to do it, and he risks everything - a case, his video card, an adapter for a video card, and his motherboard, because it is an effort to bend steel, exactly is also directed in the opposite direction, to the components in his computer, and they are not designed for such a load.

it's disgusting and terrible

Airulzat

Cable Smoosher
May 5, 2019
After anxiously waiting for the notification, DHL sent me the tracking number waiting to be shipped out from Poland to Malaysia.

Azeas

Efficiency Noob
Oct 28, 2019
I should make "am I a joke to you?" meme where the spreadsheet/dimension drawing is the protagonist...
? please do!

My Sentry will arrive tomorrow...can’t wait for this awesome case!!!

As a note, Alpenföhn did send me quickly the corrected dedicated AM4 brackets without extra charge. So that is nice.

Just waiting on my Powercolor 5700xt dual fan (not as wide as the Red Dragon) to complete this build. This one should fit nicely, just hope it has descent thermals.