Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Have you guys heard anything from Indiegogo yet about funding? I'm surprised to see the campaign still in InDemand, but don't know how long that sort of thing usually takes.

It took a whole month in previous campaign iirc. Indiegogo states that funds disbursement would happen in the week of May 10, 2019, and that week obviously have passed already, but it was the same in the first campaign (stating it take a bit more than a week).

It takes so much time because the payment processor has to collect contributions from credit cards (internationally) and get through all the requirements in making that big of an international transfer.

Reactions: Brude27

joey_jojo

What's an ITX?
May 22, 2019
Anyone know the dimensions of the GPU chamber, in terms of inner height clearance? I'm unsure if the following part of the product page is just a suggestion of 50mm maximum or if this is the hardcapped height.

CPU Socket far from PCI-E Slot:
Max height of 47mm (standard intel box cooler height)
120mm All-In-One Liquid Cooler, radiator + fan max height of 50mm

To clarify, I'd like to avoid the Corsair H60. My experience with most AIOs is 2~3 years usable life before disassembly is needed, and newer AIO models are more difficult to reseal correctly after refilling/cleaning out. I'd like to avoid short-height aircoolers, as well. I'd go with the cheaper C7, but the remarks of turbulence noise has me skeptical on the C7. Not really a Noctua guy, either.

So I figured I could maybe do an "custom AIO" with a product like the Alphacool Eisbaer LT being a Waterblock + Pump combo unit. 90 degree fittings off a radiator add about +28mm installed height. The case's external height is ~66mm, but that doesn't account for the GPU chamber's insert. Which brings another question, can/should the GPU chamber insert be removed, or is it just welded into place?

Thanks.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
This is a hard limit for sentry 2.0 as it would get overly complicated to to make the center rail both taller to accommodate standard 52 mm set and be same height to let you handle 2.5" drive normally without issues.

We were designing this around slim AIO kits that were off shelf: corsair H75 had a 25mm radiator in its specs for some time, there was tundra slim from silverstone and deepcool had its own AIO with a slim fan. All of those seem to have been discontinued last year.

The insert itself isn't the only thing restricting height of the AIO, the center rail is doing so, but if you were to cut it out, to remove this obstacle, then you're going to choke the fan with the cover inlet. And yes, it's welded in place - any option to make it detachable would make it more complex and potentially leave visible marks on the outside of the cover.

I recommend picking up deepcool GS120 along with a 27 mm radiators to fit within those 50 mm of limit.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I present to you my V1.1 paperweight. Why is it a paperweight? I don't know. I'm pretty sure my motherboard is fried. ?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
It's not an alternative set. The Phillips screws are there for the internal components, the torx screws are for the external use. This is because phillips screws have big and ugly heads in comparison to torx/allen button head screws.

If you want to use "silver" Phillips head screws, then nothing is stopping you because it's still an M3 thread, it's just going to look differently then it was designed to look.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
I present to you my V1.1 paperweight. Why is it a paperweight? I don't know. I'm pretty sure my motherboard is fried. ?

could it be your PSU that's fried? With the limited airflow around it in the Sentry, that PSU is going to run super hot

Reactions: SaperPL

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
I've decided to buy the Gigabyte Aorus B450 wifi to go with the most powerful of those three CPUs that the Black Ridge will be able to cool and fit inside the Sentry. I was holding out for the X570 boards but what we've seen so far, they're much more expensive, run hotter, louder and don't provide any real benefits over the B450.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I was holding out for the X570 boards but what we've seen so far, they're much more expensive, run hotter, louder and don't provide any real benefits over the B450.

Unless they do and for example gigabyte will not support 12 and 16 core SKUs on older boards. So far I believe ASUS only stated that they are definitely supporting all cores on all their AM4 boards because they assumed AMD may surprise them with power consumption with the first generation.

As for running hotter - I'm not sure if it's going to run hotter if you're doing the same work as with B450, but if you do, it means stuff like nvme raid and other new features. It would be weird if that chip was running flat out at the top of its power consumption all of the time.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Unless they do and for example gigabyte will not support 12 and 16 core SKUs on older boards. So far I believe ASUS only stated that they are definitely supporting all cores on all their AM4 boards because they assumed AMD may surprise them with power consumption with the first generation.

As for running hotter - I'm not sure if it's going to run hotter if you're doing the same work as with B450, but if you do, it means stuff like nvme raid and other new features. It would be weird if that chip was running flat out at the top of its power consumption all of the time.

Fair enough. I'll wait until I know more details for sure as there's still a while to go until the new chips are released. If it's not too much of a pain, would you be able to do compatibility mock ups for the Black Ridge once all the boards are announced in the coming weeks?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
if it's not too much of a pain, would you be able to do compatibility mock ups for the Black Ridge once all the boards are announced in the coming weeks?

I can try now that I have a 3D cad model of the black ridge, so I should be able to properly scale it to the socket, hopefully there will be more boards that fit it without issues in Sentry 2.0. Keep in mind though that 2.5" drive slots will be obstructed anyway with the fin stack end.

EDIT: The Aorus board seems to have similar socket location on the PCB so it should behave the same with black ridge as B450 one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Talyrius

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Actually both because it takes over quite a big area above the motherboard. The single 2.5" drive can fit like in my previous photos but it is moved more to the front of the case and not screwed in to the rail because of that.

Reactions: Talyrius and Van0

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
I've decided to buy the Gigabyte Aorus B450 wifi to go with the most powerful of those three CPUs that the Black Ridge will be able to cool and fit inside the Sentry. I was holding out for the X570 boards but what we've seen so far, they're much more expensive, run hotter, louder and don't provide any real benefits over the B450.

the gigabyte b450 itx board has pretty weak VRMs, you cant even overclock anything really and I wouldnt recommend using even a 8 core on it... I wouldnt use it with a 12 let alone 16 core chip (and I doubt gigabyte will let anyone do it because its just an accident waiting to happen)

the gigabyte x570 itx board is MUCH better, it has 6 phases with 70 amp power stages, I wouldnt try to use a 12/16 core on anything with a weaker vrm than that.