Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
This doesn't seem low profile at all from the photos.

I guess they moved here: https://www.moddiy.com/products/Spe...o-8%2dPin-PCI%2dE-Extension-Cable-(15cm).html

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
This is not a low profile cable - all it has is bend cables - that's the same as standard connector I have in my case. Look for one like in the image I posted above.

Nomo

Trash Compacter
Jul 5, 2018
This is not a low profile cable - all it has is bend cables - that's the same as standard connector I have in my case. Look for one like in the image I posted above.
Ohhh i have an idea, ill use my Dremel and cut off the standar connector like that Special Low-Profile connector, wish me luck!! hahaha.

Reactions: jaro

HZCH

Trash Compacter
Jul 21, 2018
We're not planning a 3 slot variant for Sentry right now, but who knows, if that's where the industry were to be going, then we might see if that makes sense, but only after we're running production properly for 2.0.

The issue with current 3 slot cards is that RTX chips are still on the old production node while having much more stuff inside and thus they make a lot of heat. This should change with next generation and I assume that current RTX generation is not going to be a future proof thing, there's going to be a lot changes there.

Getting back to your "3-slot Sentry" idea, we know there's a lot of things that this would enable:
- Taller CPU coolers, quite a lot of them, including for example wraith stealth fitting out of the box, taller noctua coolers, cryorig C7 not being so loud etc.
- Thicker package for AIO cooler, maybe even two slim fans instead of one.
- Mounting slim fans beneath the two slot GPU.
- Mounting two 15 mm 2.5" drives or slim ODD under the SFX PSU.
- Actual place for slim fans on the sides that could help exhaust hot air from GPU in horizontal position.
etc etc. But the issue of volume still stands - I don't think that we'll be able to compete against stuff like node 202 when we'll get close to the 10L volume because of the price difference we cannot change, until we have mass production running for at least one product and it sells. This size of ~7L is what we're focused right now and we want to make it properly. The whole idea of this project was to make a case that is true to the ideas of original steam machine and we're still on track with that.

What I'd be more keen to do when we're in full production, is a Sentry-like chassis designed around APUs, like the Ryzen 2400G, especially when 3400G is just around the corner (6 cores/12 threads + powerful IGP). I'm not sure though if this should be something to compete with inwin chopin OR should this be the same as Sentry in size and shape, but focus on the APU being water cooled by 240/280 AIO for a silent HTPC/light gaming rig.

On another topic, our Black Ridge order is pending delivery, so we should be able to check it out inside Sentry this week.

A Sentry 3.0 with three PCIE slots is my dream, as I'm contemplating a soberer Raven RVZ-01 for a rebuild one day... I could even convince my girlfriend it's a good idea

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
We have received the second prototype last week, we had to make few small updates in the designs and after that we have ordered sample batch (finally).

At this point we're really happy with what we have and we feel that the sample batch should be in manufacturing ready state.
Looking back at Sentry 1.1, what we have now is more refined version of it, which is slightly more versatile, significantly more user friendly and is performing slightly better.
While all that might look like a small incremental update, it's still a great step ahead in terms of being able to manufacture this long term and hopefully get into retail at some point.

Finally, as some of you probably noticed, I was occupied last weekend with testing of Black Ridge cooler. The unit we've got had few fitting issues and it's not compatible with Sentry. The biggest problem is that fin stack is going over the PCI-E slot which in Sentry means it poses a risk of breaking the riser by pressing down on it with the fin stack (I actually broke mine while testing). I have forwarded this info among other issues both to the manufacturer directly and through CaseKing and It would be nice if they were to solve this issue. Note however that even if this is fixed, the Black ridge will block both 2.5" slots in Sentry so you'll end up with possibility of installing just one drive freely in front of PSU without attachment.

Nomo

Trash Compacter
Jul 5, 2018
Good news, Gigabyte release a new Card, 2070 8GB mini with better compatibility in terms of size.
    • Graphics Processing GeForce RTX™ 2070
    • Core Clock 1620 MHz
    • RTX-OPS 42
    • CUDA® Cores 2304
    • Memory Clock 14000 MHz
    • Memory Size 8 GB
    • Memory Type GDDR6
    • Memory Bus 256 bit
    • Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 448 GB/s
    • Card Bus PCI-E 3.0 x 16
    • Digital max resolution 7680x4320@60Hz
    • Multi-view 4
    • Card size L=169.99 W=121.45 H=42.1 mm
    • PCB Form ATX
    • DirectX 12
    • OpenGL 4.5
    • Recommended PSU 550W
    • Power Connectors 8 Pin*1
    • Output DisplayPort 1.4 *3
      HDMI 2.0b *1
      USB Type-CTM(support VirtualLinkTM) *1
    • SLI support No
    • Accessories
      1. Quick guide
      2. Driver CD
  • More Details HERE

LeandroB

Average Stuffer
Jun 2, 2017
We have received the second prototype last week, we had to make few small updates in the designs and after that we have ordered sample batch (finally).

At this point we're really happy with what we have and we feel that the sample batch should be in manufacturing ready state.
Looking back at Sentry 1.1, what we have now is more refined version of it, which is slightly more versatile, significantly more user friendly and is performing slightly better.
While all that might look like a small incremental update, it's still a great step ahead in terms of being able to manufacture this long term and hopefully get into retail at some point.

If all goes well with the sample batch, do you guys still plan to make another Indiegogo campaing? And if so, do you have some notion of how long will it take to set up this next campaing?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
If all goes well with the sample batch, do you guys still plan to make another Indiegogo campaing? And if so, do you have some notion of how long will it take to set up this next campaing?

Yes, we plan on going with a campaign because making small batches like the one sold early this year are both problematic for us in terms of payment processing and timeline of delivery, and pissing off people because such batches sell within hours, so it's better to gather big amount of orders and make it properly at once.

As for how long, the campaign itself is not that big of a problem at this point, I think, since we've been there and we just need to update campaign story and set on proper items/perks sold in the campaign.

The question is how much time it'll take to have some reviews online before campaign launch and most of them online before campaign ends. And we can only start to schedule that when we know how did it go with the batch and that we have review units ready, so we can get in touch with media and talk about timing it up. In our situation it's not about making an embargo date, because that's not right, but the fact that our product will not be a priority review for most of the media, especially right after CES. We don't want to end up with launched campaign without reviews and we don't want our campaign launched long after the reviews this time, like we did with first campaign.

Would be good if we could have the campaign sometime in February, but so far delays tend to pile up, so this is not a definite date. Especially if we get the sample batch around the end of the year and we just start talking about shipping review samples then. The reviews may easily slip past February.

Reactions: LeandroB and Nomo

Nomo

Trash Compacter
Jul 5, 2018
Yes, we plan on going with a campaign because making small batches like the one sold early this year are both problematic for us in terms of payment processing and timeline of delivery, and pissing off people because such batches sell within hours, so it's better to gather big amount of orders and make it properly at once.

As for how long, the campaign itself is not that big of a problem at this point, I think, since we've been there and we just need to update campaign story and set on proper items/perks sold in the campaign.

The question is how much time it'll take to have some reviews online before campaign launch and most of them online before campaign ends. And we can only start to schedule that when we know how did it go with the batch and that we have review units ready, so we can get in touch with media and talk about timing it up. In our situation it's not about making an embargo date, because that's not right, but the fact that our product will not be a priority review for most of the media, especially right after CES. We don't want to end up with launched campaign without reviews and we don't want our campaign launched long after the reviews this time, like we did with first campaign.

Would be good if we could have the campaign sometime in February, but so far delays tend to pile up, so this is not a definite date. Especially if we get the sample batch around the end of the year and we just start talking about shipping review samples then. The reviews may easily slip past February.

Please send to :
*Linus Tech Tips - Linus
*HardwareCanucks - Dmitry

They give me an amazing feel about Sentry 1.0, I think that they are great Reviewers.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Please send to :
*Linus Tech Tips - Linus
*HardwareCanucks - Dmitry

They give me an amazing feel about Sentry 1.0, I think that they are great Reviewers.

We're definitely planning to send them samples, but it'd be good to have more reviews than just 3 like we had before first campaign.

One of the most common complaint from people who didn't back the campaign was that they didn't know about Sentry at all, so we'd like to change it this time.

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
We're definitely planning to send them samples, but it'd be good to have more reviews than just 3 like we had before first campaign.

One of the most common complaint from people who didn't back the campaign was that they didn't know about Sentry at all, so we'd like to change it this time.

As someone who is intrigued by both Sentry 2.0 and who has used some Lazer3d producs as well, Tek Everything did a nice job on their review for Lazer3d- might be another reviewer to contact.

Reactions: Hissitx and SaperPL

Nomo

Trash Compacter
Jul 5, 2018

What about : *Unbox Therapy - Lew
He loves uniques things , always trying to let us know about the features of products.
He always review phones, headsets and weird things, BUT he knows that needs more range of products , If u can sell him the IDEA of the Smallest Case without sacrifice a GPU and Style. BUT more important, its a community work, he loves that effort... Probably it could work.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
What about : *Unbox Therapy - Lew
He loves uniques things , always trying to let us know about the features of products.
He always review phones, headsets and weird things, BUT he knows that needs more range of products , If u can sell him the IDEA of the Smallest Case without sacrifice a GPU and Style. BUT more important, its a community work, he loves that effort... Probably it could work.

While as much as we'd like to have that kind of coverage size, unbox therapy is a lot more complicated for us than other reviewers.

For one we don't exactly know how much of the viewers are actually interested in making their own builds and we won't have boutique builds/system integrator builds for them available when we get the review.

Second thing is that if we were to send him our case for review, we probably have to give them all hardware required, so it's question whether to give them that hardware or handle taking it all back after review (handling customs in all that), what kind of hardware should be selected because it should be somewhat their decision about what build they want to make, but more importantly how to not make it a paid review etc.

Finally the question of how much does he know about building your own PC, his understanding of why this is expensive to make and how is it better than what's there on the shelf in store. Whether he can explain it and convince people that this actually makes sense or not is whether it makes sense to us to ship him a sample. Because if he fails to deliver on what Sentry actually is, the outcome may be ton of people flaming about the price, and flooding our threads on the forum without constructive critique and feedback, which wouldn't really help.

And that's a whole lot of IFs to handle, so we're more likely to go with people who actually are doing pc hardware reviews, rather than people with ton of subs but not really reviewing PC stuff. The same would go for PewDiePie for example.

Nomo

Trash Compacter
Jul 5, 2018
While as much as we'd like to have that kind of coverage size, unbox therapy is a lot more complicated for us than other reviewers.

For one we don't exactly know how much of the viewers are actually interested in making their own builds and we won't have boutique builds/system integrator builds for them available when we get the review.

Second thing is that if we were to send him our case for review, we probably have to give them all hardware required, so it's question whether to give them that hardware or handle taking it all back after review (handling customs in all that), what kind of hardware should be selected because it should be somewhat their decision about what build they want to make, but more importantly how to not make it a paid review etc.

Finally the question of how much does he know about building your own PC, his understanding of why this is expensive to make and how is it better than what's there on the shelf in store. Whether he can explain it and convince people that this actually makes sense or not is whether it makes sense to us to ship him a sample. Because if he fails to deliver on what Sentry actually is, the outcome may be ton of people flaming about the price, and flooding our threads on the forum without constructive critique and feedback, which wouldn't really help.

And that's a whole lot of IFs to handle, so we're more likely to go with people who actually are doing pc hardware reviews, rather than people with ton of subs but not really reviewing PC stuff. The same would go for PewDiePie for example.

You're right, it's a risky bet, but it's my personal opinion. Do the best to success.

LeandroB

Average Stuffer
Jun 2, 2017
I kinda still watch HC and LTT review about the sentry 1.0 sometimes, it gets me really excited. When i first saw it in LTT it was too late for the Indiegogo Campaing, i'm waiting since then. XD

HZCH

Trash Compacter
Jul 21, 2018
I support the idea sending one to Optimum Tech. He looks like he appreciates SFF cases and tries his best to actually use them.

Reactions: Rankless