News Scythe SHURIKEN 2 / SCSK-2000

Scythe showed up a new heatsink. Too bad it is 58mm in height.

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Scythe showed up a new heatsink. Too bad it is 58mm in height.

Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the older BS2 at a similar height. Also if a few mm and perhaps a few dB can be shaved off by a noctua fan swap.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Why is this tagged as a rumor? It's very much official:

Reactions: NateDawg72

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
Compared to the L9x65, it's 7mm shorter, 63g lighter & has a higher TDP rating. I can't seem to find the thickness of the slim fan, but I've got a 92x14mm Noctua on the way that I'm thinking might look pretty good on top of one of these.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Compared to the L9x65, it's 7mm shorter, 63g lighter & has a higher TDP rating. I can't seem to find the thickness of the slim fan, but I've got a 92x14mm Noctua on the way that I'm thinking might look pretty good on top of one of these.

I believe its a 15mm thick fan. Further down they show a picture of a f regular fan beside it, and mention an increase to 68mm. So I'm assuming that the 68mm is with a 25mm fan. Curious to see the performance.

Reactions: CottonTexas

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
Any new news on this? I found nothing - I was just wondering if anybody here has got better google-skills than I do.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Scythe was smarter with the mounting of the Shuriken 2 than Thermalright was with the AXP-90. The fins are parallel to the RAM rather than perpendicular to it.

Reactions: Tashi

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
Scythe was smarter with the mounting of the Shuriken 2 than Thermalright was with the AXP-90. The fins are parallel to the RAM rather than perpendicular to it.

I love that they used a heavily heatsinked board as their test mule since I'm using a ROG STRIX, but my one concern has to do with the heat pipe orientation.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, the curve of the cooling pipes should never be located at the highest point since this somehow traps heat, and causes the heatsink to lose dissipation efficiency. This is important to me, as I plan on positioning my case vertically, and if I 180 the cooler, I really want to be sure that it won't get in the way of the PCIe slot - if this is an option at all.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I love that they used a heavily heatsinked board as their test mule since I'm using a ROG STRIX, but my one concern has to do with the heat pipe orientation.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, the curve of the cooling pipes should never be located at the highest point since this somehow traps heat, and causes the heatsink to lose dissipation efficiency. This is important to me, as I plan on positioning my case vertically, and if I 180 the cooler, I really want to be sure that it won't get in the way of the PCIe slot - if this is an option at all.
An old post to respond to, but this is a myth. Heatpipes work through capillary action and steam pressure, meaning that they should not be bothered by gravity whatsoever. Heck, AFAIK they were first developed for use on satellites, where there's barely any gravity at all. If ny specific gravitational pull was necessary for heatpipes to cool properly this would obviously not work.

IIRC Linus Tech Tips did a video testing this not too long ago, and found nothing beyond test margins.

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
An old post to respond to, but this is a myth. Heatpipes work through capillary action and steam pressure, meaning that they should not be bothered bh gravity whatsoever. Heck, AFAIK they were first developed for use on satellites, where there's barely any gravity at all. If ny specific gravitational pull was necessary for heatpipes to cool properly this would obviously not work.

IIRC Linus Tech Tips did a video testing this not too long ago, and found nothing beyond test margins.

True that gravity has a minimal effect on most heat-pipe based coolers, but its primarily due to short length of the heat pipes. In larger systems with longer and large diameter pipes, gravity plays a larger role and in fact you can see as much as a 30% reduction in performance when operating them opposing gravity. Source: I collaborated in a design to cool large industrial electronics with a heatpipe based system.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Sorry for the double post, but just wondering. I'm using the Scythe to replace the L9a with an NF-A9 in my Lone L5. Does anyone think the Shuriken 2 will be better?