Advice Sanity check: gaming with a side of productivity

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
Hello, everyone! I'm finally upgrading from my old i5-7600k, GTX1080 build, and wanted some feedback on my parts list just to make sure I'm not making any mistakes.

I will primarily use this system as a 4k 144Hz ultra-settings gaming machine, but I do a bit of productivity-related workloads from time to time as a hobby and intend for this system to last me another 6~7 years as my current one has. The build will start air cooled and will be upgraded to a dual-rad custom loop in autumn with the aim of silence.

An additional note is that I will undervolt/power limit the CPU and GPU to get more reasonable power/performance ratios.

[Main Hardware]
Case: DanCase C4-SFX
CPU: i7-13700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6600 CL32
GPU: PNY Verto RTX 4090
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 PG-ITX/TB4
Storage: Solidigm P44 Pro M.2 NVME SSDs (1x1TB, 1x2TB)
PSU: Asus Loki 1000W SFX-L (Ugly but silent)

[Air Cooling]
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Soul 135
Case Fans: 4x Silent Wings 4 (High-speed) 140mm

To begin with I will deshroud the GPU and pair it with 2x SilentWings, with a third as case exhaust, but will eventually upgrade all 4 to be on radiator duty once the water-cooling fun beings.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hello, everyone! I'm finally upgrading from my old i5-7600k, GTX1080 build, and wanted some feedback on my parts list just to make sure I'm not making any mistakes.

I will primarily use this system as a 4k 144Hz ultra-settings gaming machine, but I do a bit of productivity-related workloads from time to time as a hobby and intend for this system to last me another 6~7 years as my current one has. The build will start air cooled and will be upgraded to a dual-rad custom loop in autumn with the aim of silence.

An additional note is that I will undervolt/power limit the CPU and GPU to get more reasonable power/performance ratios.

[Main Hardware]
Case: DanCase C4-SFX
CPU: i7-13700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6600 CL32
GPU: PNY Verto RTX 4090
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 PG-ITX/TB4
Storage: Solidigm P44 Pro M.2 NVME SSDs (1x1TB, 1x2TB)
PSU: Asus Loki 1000W SFX-L (Ugly but silent)

[Air Cooling]
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Soul 135
Case Fans: 4x Silent Wings 4 (High-speed) 140mm

To begin with I will deshroud the GPU and pair it with 2x SilentWings, with a third as case exhaust, but will eventually upgrade all 4 to be on radiator duty once the water-cooling fun beings.

Looks like one of the money-is-not-a-concern builds 😀

What kind of productivity are you going to do with this machine?

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
I wish that money grew on trees, but I've been saving and can't change Jensen's mind (not with the current NVDA movement) so it is what it is, but I want to play my games at maximum settings and have been patiently waiting to upgrade since crypto and covid screwed the supply chain up.

For fun I hack on microcontrollers, but I don't mind waiting a few minutes for builds to complete and that that scale CPU doesn't make a huge difference. What does have an impact is the video encoding I do and I've been itching for more cores.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
I wish that money grew on trees, but I've been saving and can't change Jensen's mind (not with the current NVDA movement) so it is what it is, but I want to play my games at maximum settings and have been patiently waiting to upgrade since crypto and covid screwed the supply chain up.

For fun I hack on microcontrollers, but I don't mind waiting a few minutes for builds to complete and that that scale CPU doesn't make a huge difference. What does have an impact is the video encoding I do and I've been itching for more cores.
Personally, I'd get a 4080 and upgrade again to a 5080 when it comes with the money you spared. Will keep you on ultra settings for longer.

Also generates less heat, so you're more likely to get the most of it, with the 4090 your just buying performance that you won't even be able to use in the build you're proposing.

If you really want to go overkill with a 4090, I'd do it properly and go for a fully watercooled system, and push it to the limits.

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. As a matter of fact, for many months I was heavily leaning towards a 7900XTX but in the end I decided that it wasn't worth the price compared to nVidia's offering (4080). In any case, you've given me something to think about.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I think it looks like a solid build and regardless of what has been said if you want to game at 4k high refresh rate you can't beat the 4090, period.

Reactions: Antioch