S4 Mini with Ryzen 1700X

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
So my mini turned up last week (stock colours, standard machined button and flex ribbon)
I've ordered all my components:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz - Red
AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700X
Asrock X370 Mini-ITX Motherboard
Noctua NH-L9i cooler and AM4 adapter

330W Dell Power Brick
HDPLEX 400W

I was going to go with the Geforce GTX 1070, but it's now out of stock at any reasonable prices in the UK... so now to pick something else that will fit, I'd liek to go AMD but I don't think they have many offerings.

I am using this build to replace an old MATX build that was in a waaaay too big a case (it took up more desk space than a conventional ATX tower), that had a 4790K and R9 Nano.
My main requirment for a good PC is gaming, but I also do a lot of CAD work, I wish I could have afforded 32GB RAM, but this may be a future investment.

I'm trying to keep things black/red just because.. style is cool. On subject of style I hope to eventually do something to the case/exterior if I get round to it. Just seen the wraps Josh has organised, I may end up buying one just to be simple. I'm unsure.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Out of curiosity, wouldn't you do better with RAM based on Samsung B-Dies?

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
I'm also doing an S4 build for some gaming (Dota and LoL only though) and Solidworks/Keyshot/Adobe Suite stuff (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).

I love my current desktop which has 32GB RAM (2400MHz though I think). But I'm not sure if I can afford it in my S4 build. I'm also hoping to snag a 1070.

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
""Samsung B-Dies? Are they the ones supposedly better for AMD?
I like the look of these RAM sticks, they're an acceptable price, and someone listed them as suitable for the Ryzen. But if there is something else more suitable I could swap?
""My new workplace gave me some crazy laptop workstation with 32GB, it's soo much better than my old personal 16GB desktop. I considered going slower speed to afford more capacity, but I've read how much better Ryzen performs with faster RAM speeds.

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Out of curiosity, wouldn't you do better with RAM based on Samsung B-Dies?

I'm also doing an S4 build for some gaming (Dota and LoL only though) and Solidworks/Keyshot/Adobe Suite stuff (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).

I love my current desktop which has 32GB RAM (2400MHz though I think). But I'm not sure if I can afford it in my S4 build. I'm also hoping to snag a 1070.
Samsung B-Dies? Are they the ones supposedly better for AMD?
I like the look of these RAM sticks, they're an acceptable price, and someone listed them as suitable for the Ryzen. But if there is something else more suitable I could swap?
""My new workplace gave me some crazy laptop workstation with 32GB, it's soo much better than my old personal 16GB desktop. I considered going slower speed to afford more capacity, but I've read how much better Ryzen performs with faster RAM speeds.

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
I can't get a photo to express how great this motherboard looks with the Corsair RAM.
And of course, the compulsory loot photo on the bed

Last edited:

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Fixed now, thank you. My Photobucket stopped working so I te uploaded with imgur, forget to take broken ones off though.
Glad it came through in photos! Sort of wish the S4 had a window panel to see this!

Reactions: Soul_Est

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017

So this is how it stands at the moment, having a battle with my HDPLEX, I've put some nice high quality but thick thermal sticky pad on the back.

Problem is this makes the plea much thicker and it is pressig on my mobo slightly (its tight!). It also means the pled must be installed before the GPU etc. I'm also not sure I will slide it in place once the plastic is taken off the sticky pad maybe I'll have to disassemble the case.

Also having a problem between tolerances of the PCI slot and my rider from NFC but should be sorting it with Josh.

The other problem with be plex is it stops me sliding the SSD bracket over the mobo.. therefore I can't install it before the GPU. This is a problem that probably means I will need to assemble the chassis around the components.

Then onto cabling etc. !

Reactions: Illoominatty

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
I solved the problem of the SSD bracket by modding it as shown here. With this solution, you can remove the SSD bracket assembly with ease.
Also I used adhesive backed black vinyl to cover the visible surface of the hard drive.

Neil

Reactions: CubanLegend

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
I solved the problem of the SSD bracket by modding it as shown here. With this solution, you can remove the SSD bracket assembly with ease.
Also I used adhesive backed black vinyl to cover the visible surface of the hard drive.

Neil

Hey Neil,
Thanks for the reply!
Looks like you've added an extra piece of material on the left hand side, is that right?

Lots of cables going on in that build!

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Hey Neil,
Thanks for the reply!
Looks like you've added an extra piece of material on the left hand side, is that right?

Lots of cables going on in that build!

Yes I added the extra piece and shifted the one drive by adding another set of mount holes.

The photo is with the HDPLEX 300 and I have updated to the 400. Some time in the future, I plan on redoing the cabling in all black.

Neil

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Yes I added the extra piece and shifted the one drive by adding another set of mount holes.

The photo is with the HDPLEX 300 and I have updated to the 400. Some time in the future, I plan on redoing the cabling in all black.

Neil

Interesting... I wonder if I could manufacture a new bracket that attaches on the right and above, rather than the right and left.
Then it would be shorter and could be removed with GPU in place.

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
So after what i believe to be a slightly out of tolerance riser snapping, Josh was very kind in promptly sending me a new one. Unfortunately due to the PC being at my parents house and me being at my house, I wasn't very prompt in getting it installed! Thankfully today I was back at my parents and made some progress (Spoiler: Enough to bring it back to my house!)
So first the new riser in, slipped straight in, no breaking into 2 pieces!

I then proceeded to cut a slot in the power jack to fit the 1070 around it, annoyingly after cutting this slot the PCB of the jack still pressed on the fan shroud, meaning the GPU didn't quite sit in the case properly.

You can see where the PCB was pressing on my GPU as it marked the shroud slightly.

After quite a bit of fiddling, I decided I'd return to the dremel and shave the PCB down a along the edge, unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the finished jack. But thankfully it worked, a bit of messing around with the stock wiring and I had something that looked like this

Hook up the only compatible PC and mouse I could find...

And boom, great success!

So took it back to my place, sorted out a Windows reset, and here's how she sits now.

I'm waiting on a load of stuff from E22, they must have gone on holiday again or something.
I've also decided to ditch the two 500GB SSDs for a 1TB m.2 I found for cheap on Overclockers.

So that's my progress, I'm actually sending this update from the built PC! Now just to save up for a monitor worthy of this machine and a new keyboard.... oh and a need a new chair... and food to live... and a load more PC games...

Edit to add:
Doh! The reason the 1TB was so cheap was because it was a 500GB. And it was expensive for a 500! I wasn’t reading straight.
Returned and a fresh new 1TB was ordered and fitted

Last edited:

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
So it’s all together, new wiring done and tidied. I’ve got some sleeving bought but I don’t have time to practise and do it all, I need my PC working!
Just cloning my old SSD to the new m.2 drive now, then I can unplug all the nasty sata cables and seal it up (sata cables not shown in image)

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017

So it’s finished
16GB Corsair RAM
Ryzen 1700X
Asrock fatality mobo
Gigabyte 1070 mini
Samsung 1TB 960 EVO m.2
Dell power brick
400W DC/ATX HDPLEX

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That is a nice, tidy little build. Hope you enjoy it.

How is the Gigabyte 1070? I need an itx GPU for an upcoming build and that is one I am considering. How is it cooling and noise wise?

Reactions: Biowarejak