S4 Mini w/ Ryzen 1700 and 1080 TI

Siba

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017
I started assembly, and I think I made every mistake possible, at least twice. Having said that I did get everything into the case tonight and I definitely have some tweaking to do. The CPU is pretty cool (high 60s) but the 1080 TI is hitting max temp pretty quickly, and the clocks come down quite a bit (1600 ish, compared to 1800ish outside the case). I played with the GPU fan curves but the card just is way too loud with the fans over 70%, so I need to add some supplemental air. I have some Noctua 40mm and 60mm fans that I will play with to see if they can bring any additional cooling onto the card.

From your other thread, do you know how the base clocked (~1600mhz) 1080ti mini performs compared to a regular 1080 mini? Any benchmarks to compare to, ambient temps, case orientation, etc?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Try this video..:)
Zotac GTX1080ti mini is, well, well, at similar level to FE model...so expect only something like 1600Mhz/1700Mhz with high noise level and not so great temperature.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
I agree, I saw that video as well. Now that I got the case back (pictures in next post), I'll be playing with the settings and seeing how they perform.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Case pictures! I used the sun to light them, but it's like 5pm here in Dallas and the sun is just too low, it's causing my color to shift red, the true color is what you see at the top of the case in the pictures.

I went with the acrylic front panel, and had no clearance issues at all. I know Josh ended up making a new one for himself but I got lucky (my backup was to go with the zebra wood but I don't think it would have gone as well).

Like Josh, I ditched the original screws, but that was because I had a bunch powder coated and I didn't like how they looked. It was too glaring a transition, I wanted smooth. So instead I went with contrast.

Oh, and build tip, if you use the acrylic cover, use a hex nut socket adapter to hold the nut while you tighten the screw. Less chance of dropping that small nut (which I did 3 times before I broke out my socket set).

Here's the right side.

Here's the different angle.

Here's the left side.

Here's another angle on the left.

Here's a closeup of the front bezel opening, you can see the 1080 TI is right up next too it but it's not exerting any outward pressure.

And here it is laying down. I still need to put the feet on it. Now some of you are going to say "Hey dufus, you have it upside down"; I am doing this deliberately to make it easier for the 1080 TI to pull in air. I have no idea if it will make any difference, but I've picked a horse and I'm riding it all the way.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
And here's a picture of the back with the feet on. The color of the case is better in this picture as well.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Well, scratch having the unit "upside down". I ran AIDA64 CPU test and the CPU temp hit 80! Ideally I want 70, no more than 75.

In the vertical position I get 70/71, so I'll use that orientation. I'll let this soak a bit more then do more tests with the 1080TI.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Looks super dope! I love that color. Prismatic makes great powders. Did you go with it over Ink Black or a silver or a grey? Looks like a lighter base.

Very interesting that your 3D Bezel fits. I figured it would vary. The difference in mine was 1.7mm, which can be made up in alot of areas.

Peace

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
How much did you pay for that powdercoat? Looks pretty sweet

Was $95 USD; it was a special order color. If I had gone with a black or "normal" color it would have been $50.

Looks super dope! I love that color. Prismatic makes great powders. Did you go with it over Ink Black or a silver or a grey? Looks like a lighter base.

It's over a white base coat, with a clear coat added as well for protection/shine.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Another quick update. So even vertical the CPU went over 80 when I run the AIDA64 CPU test with MSI's Kombustor GPU burner with the GPU memory burner profile.

With just Kombustor running, the CPU pegs at 56, so the 1080 TI heat is definitely making the overall air of the system warmer which means the CPU cooler can only go so far (CPU utilization for this test is just 7%).

And for comparison, at idle the temps are CPU low 40's and GPU mid 30's.

Going to do a test now with the GPU Limited to 80 degrees, with the AIDA 64 CPU test, and see what the CPU gets to.

Once I do this I will likely tinker with adding an extra fan into the chassis to see if it makes any difference. That will be Wed's activity.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Well that didn't help at all unfortunately. CPU still went over 80. So going to run just AIDA64 CPU and it's own GPU burner and see what happens temp wise.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
And that test showed the same temps on CPU (80) and GPU. Definitely need to play with adding an additional fan.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Based on your initial pics, the L9i is oriented in a sub-optimal way. You want the fin gaps to be parallel with your ram; if you rotated the L9i by 90 degrees I bet you'd get better cpu temps

Thanks Siba. I'll try that.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Well, I've come to a screeching halt in my testing. I booted up the PC this morning and no video output. I tried different monitors and different outputs on the card, no joy.

When my son comes home tonight from work I'll borrow his PC and test the card there. If still no joy then I'll be RMAing it.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Fans spin but with no display seen, I can't get into the UEFI to change anything. I'd be doing it blind.

I put it in my son's PC and it also wouldn't work, fans spin but no display.

RMA time.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Fans spin but with no display seen, I can't get into the UEFI to change anything. I'd be doing it blind.

I put it in my son's PC and it also wouldn't work, fans spin but no display.

RMA time.

Right--but I am suggesting taking the GPU out, then using your onboard video to enter the UEFI to make the change. But if it was in your sons PC too and no go...then RMA time!

Peace

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Right--but I am suggesting taking the GPU out, then using your onboard video to enter the UEFI to make the change. But if it was in your sons PC too and no go...then RMA time!

Peace

The Ryzen 7 1700 has no on-board video. I believe the next CPUs out have the built in video. I did test it in case I was wrong; no video.

how many lbs of powdercoat did you buy from Prismatic?

No idea, they didn't tell me. I didn't do it myself, paid a local shop to get the powder and shoot it.