Power Supply PSU for Ryzen 7 1700 S4 Mini Build

reodds

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Hi Everyone. I built a Mini-ITX pc in a NFC S4 Mini Case, using an Asrock AB350 Mini-ITX board, Ryzen 7 1700, Zotac GTX 1060 mini GPU, 32GB DDR4 2400 RAM, Samsung 250GB M.2, 2 - Samsung 500GB EVO SSD.

I had a G-Unique Arch Demon PSU that worked for a week, died, was replaced, and has lasted since January and died toiday, There was no overclocking, or overheating. The PSU just died. The first time it was replaced, Guryhwa told me the FET died. I'm not going back for another drive. Thanks Josh for the warning, sorry I didn't listen!

I was thinking about the HDplex 160w PSU, but am not sure it's enough power.

Does anyone have a recommendation for me of a solid no nonsense PSU that will fit the Asrock MB and S4 Mini case?

Thanks for your help!

Roger

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
When you say the psu died again, which unit? The brick or the direct plug psu?

If it's the direct plug you might be able to repurpose the brick if it's the right voltage.

About wattage you're right 160W is pushing it. You might be close to 250W total peak, avg 200W. At that wattage I guess right now it's only dell 330W brick.

With the dell, pair it with a single hdplex 400W dc-atx, OR, kmpkt's dynamo 360 and 160 combo.

If you like living on the bleeding edge you can try asking @Thehack for his prototype dc board. If your gunique brick lives this might be a good idea. Otherwise get a Meanwell 200W unit. It seems to do a good job handling more than 200W for longer time.

reodds

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Thanks for the info. The G-Unique modified brick is fine, it is the DC-DC plug-in that died. As I mentioned, Gurywha said it was the FET that died in the first unit. I just don't want to mess with it yet again. If nothing else, the time getting it here (Connecticut, USA) is way too long and frustrating.

Roger

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for the info. The G-Unique modified brick is fine, it is the DC-DC plug-in that died. As I mentioned, Gurywha said it was the FET that died in the first unit. I just don't want to mess with it yet again. If nothing else, the time getting it here (Connecticut, USA) is way too long and frustrating.

Roger

You have 2 options on the market right now:

1. HDPlex 400 + dell external brick

2. KMPKT 360 + 160 + dell external brick

I am working on a 3rd option that won't be released until later this year:

DISTRO 400 + PLUGin. https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/one2-distro-400-a-12v-power-distribution-board.7687/

You may be able to re-use your 12V brick.

reodds

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Thank you! I am leaning on the KMPKT design. Waiting to hear from Craig, especially since I have a good 400w external brick from Gury.

LungButter

Efficiency Noob
Bronze Supporter
Sep 16, 2018
Thanks to the OP and responders. I am working up a build that is nearly identical (same GPU and mobo, Ryzen 5 1600 instead) build and was wondering the same about the power supply.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
A 160XT cannot power a 1700 and 1060 at load.
I didn't explain myself properly. By 'fine for a while', I meant that it'll boot and usable daily, not for continuous gaming, and while waiting for your solution - the distro board that can take the gpu load off the pico.

reodds

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
According to Craig (KMPKT), all of the hardware necessary to have a "brickless" build will be available in the the next few weeks. So, I will wait to hear from him again about this.

reodds

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Hi Everyone. I know this thread is old, but unfortunately, time and life has gotten in the way., and I have not progressed successfully from the original build. To reiterate I built a Mini-ITX pc in a NFC S4 Mini Case, using an Asrock AB350 Mini-ITX board, Ryzen 7 1700, Zotac GTX 1060 mini GPU, 32GB DDR4 2400 RAM, Samsung 250GB M.2, 2 - Samsung 500GB EVO SSD It works well with an old external PSU, but I would like a built in PSU., it's time to close the case and make this rig portable.

Can anyone recommend a good current PSU to fit the NFC S4 Mini case in the configuration I have?

Thanks to you all for the help, it's greatly appreciated!

Roger

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I am currently looking for beta testers for my RCC-PWR1 plugin. Not sure if there are some suitable 12V AC-DC power supplies which would fit inside your case but you could also have a look at my RCC-BRICKMOD1 PSU case. Wouldn't look to bad with the Skyreach.

Just drop me a message if you are interested to check it out for your build.