S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
cuban legend had a setup like that and said the fan was too close to the case and didnt perform well, thats why i think the super slim 80mm fan would be nice for this

its all speculation though

EDIT
I wonder if you could put some standoffs or washers under the sky bracket and between the fan so that the fan would be further away from the case edge and closer to the heatsink

Reactions: Biowarejak

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
cuban legend had a setup like that and said the fan was too close to the case and didnt perform well, thats why i think the super slim 80mm fan would be nice for this

its all speculation though

EDIT
I wonder if you could put some standoffs or washers under the sky bracket and between the fan so that the fan would be further away from the case edge and closer to the heatsink

Yeah. I think putting washers between the fan and the bracket is def. possible. I'll buy some out and test out the temps. I also went ahead and bought a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek 120mm fan (15mm thick). If it fits, I'll test it out.

In the meantime, I can without hesitation say that my current set-up is not good heat-wise. As soon as I booted up Prime 95 I was seeing temps in the 90s and quickly climbing to 100. I quickly cut off Prime95 when I saw that. I'm idling in the 50s. Granted I am using the iGPU with two monitors so that might be raising temps some, but probably not more than 1 or 2 degrees (really I have no idea).

I'll do the tests mentioned above and report back. I think I'll be able to report back before Sunday. We'll see how crazy this weekend is.

Completed build for now.

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
instant get :)

tall cooler - hole
tall memory modules - hole
tall storage - hole
custom asymmetric stand - hole
display on the side - ... you can guess

Last edited:
Reactions: ECHO and Biowarejak

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
is it ok to mount your hdd like that with no tape? is it risking a short?

Also I would wager that because your fan is so close to the edge of the case you are getting turbulence and it is affecting the overall temps

I was able to find some washers to push the fan close to the heatsink. The fan actually didn't sound bad when I running it up next to the side panel, but I wasn't really paying attention. Nevertheless, it didn't bother me.

I should be getting the Prolimatech fan today so I'll do some tests and post the results soon. I'm interested to see how much the Prolimatech is affected by being so close to the side panel versus the Scythe being a few mm. under the panel.

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
S4 Mini Classic still has lots of potential :)
orangeteax let me buy the gigabyte gtx 1080 from his Aorus Gaming Box
the card is short but tall. it means that the DC-in has to be relocated (mobo backplate has lots of room) or replaced.
it has a pretty large fan (in diameter). due to that it is not easy to install just into any PCIe slots (typically motherboard manufacturers suggest to insert the GPU into the one closest to the CPU) into a regular motherboard, because it would collide with the second PCIe slot next to it. most likely the PCIe slot on the edge of the motherboard could accomodate it.
but because of the position of the card in the Mini, this is not a problem. in return the huge fan does great job at cooling the card.
I had a spare HDPlex 250W so the GTX1080 and the Ryzen 1700 is now served by that. I know it might not be enough but I will do some load tests. I expect the setup to run nicely at typical loads but may fail at peak load. either a stronger dc/dc or a custom bios to the 1080 might be needed.
also, due to the length of cables originally came with the HDPlex it is pretty difficult to manage them especially without affecting the cooling of some motherboard components. definitely requires apropriately tailored cabling.

long story short: a giga gtx 1080 can fit into Mini Classic with the beautiful bezel still on :)

ryzen

Trash Compacter
Jun 7, 2017
Yeah. I think putting washers between the fan and the bracket is def. possible. I'll buy some out and test out the temps. I also went ahead and bought a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek 120mm fan (15mm thick). If it fits, I'll test it out.

In the meantime, I can without hesitation say that my current set-up is not good heat-wise. As soon as I booted up Prime 95 I was seeing temps in the 90s and quickly climbing to 100. I quickly cut off Prime95 when I saw that. I'm idling in the 50s. Granted I am using the iGPU with two monitors so that might be raising temps some, but probably not more than 1 or 2 degrees (really I have no idea).

I'll do the tests mentioned above and report back. I think I'll be able to report back before Sunday. We'll see how crazy this weekend is.

Completed build for now.

Which S4M-C revision is your model? I'm very surprise you can fit your Titan with lot of space to spare. I'm having the similar issue to CubanLegend's titan and I used multiple motherboards. I still can't get enough clearance between the panel and fan. The thermals I had was the same as my LP53 + noctua.

Reactions: CubanLegend

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
Which S4M-C revision is your model? I'm very surprise you can fit your Titan with lot of space to spare. I'm having the similar issue to CubanLegend's titan and I used multiple motherboards. I still can't get enough clearance between the panel and fan. The thermals I had was the same as my LP53 + noctua.

I have the latest revision. Not sure the exact number. Josh knows since he just sold me this. I've only had it for about a month.

After doing testing, I've found that it doesn't cool that well. I've tried 4 different fans, Scythe 1200 and 1600 RPM, Prolimatech, and Noctua. Of course Noctua did the best but because it sits next to the side panel, it gets quite loud just as the Prolimatech did.

After only about 5 mins, they all were starting to throttle when doing a Prime95 blend test. I even tried with the side panel off and they all still throttled.

I'm thinking about getting the Thermaltake Engine 27 and seeing what kind of performance I can get from it plus a 120mm fan over it. Since it is only 27mm tall, I can definitely fit the Noctua slim 120mm over it. If it proves worthwhile, I may see about cutting out a hole in the side panel for the 120mm fan to avoid the turbulence issue. Josh has some cheap B grade panels for sale so it could be a fun project.

Reactions: br3nd0

ryzen

Trash Compacter
Jun 7, 2017
I have the latest revision. Not sure the exact number. Josh knows since he just sold me this. I've only had it for about a month.

After doing testing, I've found that it doesn't cool that well. I've tried 4 different fans, Scythe 1200 and 1600 RPM, Prolimatech, and Noctua. Of course Noctua did the best but because it sits next to the side panel, it gets quite loud just as the Prolimatech did.

After only about 5 mins, they all were starting to throttle when doing a Prime95 blend test. I even tried with the side panel off and they all still throttled.

I'm thinking about getting the Thermaltake Engine 27 and seeing what kind of performance I can get from it plus a 120mm fan over it. Since it is only 27mm tall, I can definitely fit the Noctua slim 120mm over it. If it proves worthwhile, I may see about cutting out a hole in the side panel for the 120mm fan to avoid the turbulence issue. Josh has some cheap B grade panels for sale so it could be a fun project.

Ah that probably explains it. I received the R2 instead due to my love for the anodized black panel. I was able to easily mount the Titan on my MSI z370i carbon pro without any capacitors interfering with the CPU (delidded 8600k) mount. I had 0mm clearance between noctua fan and panel which we can now conclude that titan cooler will not work due to the revision of my case. With side panels off, I idled 40c and was able to overclock it easily to 4.9ghz getting max at 76c using prime95 v2.6.6 for no avx offset. Switching back to LP53+noctua, I got better airflow so it shot down to 35c idle and max load at 72c. I hope someone with a Dynatron R31 1U Vapor Chamber provide their benchmarks.

Reactions: Choidebu

limaalpha0hacii

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2017
So i bought an S4-C Mini back in May but I've only started building in it now. Unfortunately but my version has those darn studs. How do you take them off?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Unfortunately but my version has those darn studs. How do you take them off?
Josh had a video on it

Mine also have studs, I've removed 3 out of all 5. The middle 2 I could get away with wiggling it for few minutes, but the bottom solo one didn't budge at all. He recommended using heat, and I got a lighter. I found it much faster and easier. Just heat, try turning it with pliers, repeat as necessary.

In place of the studs, I currently use the frame screws spare included in the case, the black small one.

Reactions: limaalpha0hacii

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
Gents,

this is a bit offtopic, sorry about it. we had a presentation in San Jose, CA, where the different usecases of our typical development, debugging and test environments were briefly explained. And the hardware for it was all packed into an S4M-C :) Please find a bit more info in my thread.

I am sure I could not be this successful without the Mini! Hail to the King, baby! :D

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
Hi guys,

I keep getting system restarts during games (ex. FF XIV on "High" settings at 1920x1200), and I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have a i7 7700 w/ Noctua NH-L9i + EVGA 1060 6gb + 2x8gb G.Skill Trident Z + ASUS Rog Strix + Samsung 960 Evo m.2 + Dynamo Mini 200 w/ Dell 330W power adapter.

Using XMP profiles for the RAM. CPU fan is set to "Turbo" PWM.

Looking at CPUID/Speedfan:
+5V is 5.080-5.120
+3.3V is 3.328-3.344
+12V is 12.096-12.192

CPU temps are between 45-55c idle, and 55-80c load.
CPU fan is running around 1600-2000 RPM load.

The GPU seems stable at 48-55c idle, 55-65c load.
Fan running 500-700 RPM idle, and 1100-1700 RPM load.

I wouldn't expect the CPU to be the bottleneck here... If I lower the graphics settings to "Standard" (low/medium) it's stable, but I thought this GPU should be able to handle most games at High settings. Could it be the PSU/brick?