S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Dang, @Josh | NFC , let me make sure we're talking about the same panel... I'm talking about if you can put skyslots on this side I'm pointing at with my finger, if so I'll gladly send it your way and pay whatever price (for real) WHAT I WOULD GIVE FOR SKYSLOTS ON THAT SIDE XD:

P.S. Yeah I got that Silder Grade A bezel, i posted about it earlier (oh wow thanks, i thought i ordered a grade C). i'm waiting to do the 1080mini fan mod to post pics of it. Thanks for the mounting screws bro! You're the best!

I think that's a cut that would have to be done before the panel is bent into shape. it could probably be done with a dermal if you have the skills

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 16, 2017
shameless self-quote. XD

Okay so, I'm looking to remove my 1080mini's fans and shroud to swap them with the 2 NHL9i fans i have. I want to run thermal tests of the GPU beforehand, and noise tests too...

<rest deleted>

Late to the conversation on this topic but wanted to add my 2 cents. I tried dual Noctua 92x14mm fans on my 1080 TI in my S4 build (build log in sig) and to be honest I was under whelmed from a performance perspective. I even tried a mix of the Noctua 92x14mm and 92x25mm fans and it wasn't that great. You can find some comparisons at the post below.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/s4-mini-w-ryzen-1700-and-1080-ti.3062/page-7#post-67332

Now, this is on a TI so maybe the heat on the 1080 is more manageable by the fans. They just felt like they were under performing (grant it I was testing 120mm fans).

On the topic of TIM, I'll be interested to see your results. On the 1080 TI different TIMs didn't have any appreciable impact.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Late to the conversation on this topic but wanted to add my 2 cents. I tried dual Noctua 92x14mm fans on my 1080 TI in my S4 build (build log in sig) and to be honest I was under whelmed from a performance perspective. I even tried a mix of the Noctua 92x14mm and 92x25mm fans and it wasn't that great. You can find some comparisons at the post below.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/s4-mini-w-ryzen-1700-and-1080-ti.3062/page-7#post-67332

Now, this is on a TI so maybe the heat on the 1080 is more manageable by the fans. They just felt like they were under performing (grant it I was testing 120mm fans).

On the topic of TIM, I'll be interested to see your results. On the 1080 TI different TIMs didn't have any appreciable impact.
wow @Reglar that is a huge resource of gret fan information, thank you! I'm curious though, why didn't you also post a control, like the stock fans... along with the other results, for comparison? I'm curious how the stock fans performed and sounded in relation to all those custom setups.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 16, 2017
I have this tendency to decide to do things without a ton of pre-planning. Originally I was just going to pull off the fans and put on something else and then I thought "Hey, let's do some measurements, etc" but I was already part way in and just didn't have the patience to put the original fans back on. Definitely an oversight.

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
I purchased the Zotac 1080 mini and had serious coil whine while gaming and idle fan noise was really annoying while browsing the web but it turns out the card was faulty so have the option to refund or request a new one. Purchased Josh's 2d acrylic bezel and carbon plate which adds room to fit a powerfully card like this which should be coming soon. So i've narrowed it down to two cards for my s4 mini classic upgrade, Zotac 1080 mini and the gigabyte 1080 mini. looking for recommendations on which is best to get to aid the performance of the mini. Haven't heard much on the gigabyte 1080 mini so would love to know and how it performs and if it fits inside the s4 mini and what mods are required? Any help is much appreciated and just to note, the monitor i'll be using is a 1440p 21:9.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Well I regret modding that bezel now lol. I want to go back to stock and maybe return my 1080 mini and get the smaller Gigabyte one. I have used other Gigabyte cards before and the fans have well loud! I’m not sure what to do! :/

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I have this tendency to decide to do things without a ton of pre-planning. Originally I was just going to pull off the fans and put on something else and then I thought "Hey, let's do some measurements, etc" but I was already part way in and just didn't have the patience to put the original fans back on. Definitely an oversight.
thats okay, i understand. no biggie. I may not end up doing it now... :( although if I could find a place to mill my original wrap around... so i could keep the stock fans, then just move my vent cover plate over to the original wrap around, i might do that.

I purchased the Zotac 1080 mini and had serious coil whine while gaming and idle fan noise was really annoying while browsing the web but it turns out the card was faulty so have the option to refund or request a new one. Purchased Josh's 2d acrylic bezel and carbon plate which adds room to fit a powerfully card like this which should be coming soon. So i've narrowed it down to two cards for my s4 mini classic upgrade, Zotac 1080 mini and the gigabyte 1080 mini. looking for recommendations on which is best to get to aid the performance of the mini. Haven't heard much on the gigabyte 1080 mini so would love to know and how it performs and if it fits inside the s4 mini and what mods are required? Any help is much appreciated and just to note, the monitor i'll be using is a 1440p 21:9.
i havent had problems with the 1080mini, as you can see above @ngriesdo may prefer the shorter gigabyte 1080 mini... so its up to you bro.

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
thats okay, i understand. no biggie. I may not end up doing it now... :( although if I could find a place to mill my original wrap around... so i could keep the stock fans, then just move my vent cover plate over to the original wrap around, i might do that.

i havent had problems with the 1080mini, as you can see above @ngriesdo may prefer the shorter gigabyte 1080 mini... so its up to you bro.
know if the gigabyte 1080 mini fits inside the s4 mini and is it the same size as the gigabyte 1070 mini?

witu

Chassis Packer
Dec 13, 2017
The 1080 mini is very simple and can be run off a Dell 330.

I can't for the life of me get the Zotac 1080 mini + Intel 7700 working unless I underclock the 1080 as far as possible in Afterburner. This is with the HDPLEX 400 and Dell 330w brick. It just crashes whenever I start Heaven or a game.

I'm picking up a power meter today or tomorrow to see if I have a bad power supply. Any other ideas on what might be going wrong?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
How much did your Dell 330 cost you? There's a fair number of counterfeit units floating around and you might just have a dud/knockoff. My sense is the brick is likely the issue as the HDPlex 400W should crush that combo without issue.

Reactions: witu and Biowarejak

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Anyone here have a silver or likewise bezel they would like to get rid of let me know lol. @CubanLegend I only want the Gigabyte 1080 for size concerns but if I can’t find a bezel then I’ll use my Zotac card with my wooden bezel that I should have in the next 1000 years XD.

Reactions: CubanLegend

witu

Chassis Packer
Dec 13, 2017
How much did your Dell 330 cost you? There's a fair number of counterfeit units floating around and you might just have a dud/knockoff. My sense is the brick is likely the issue as the HDPlex 400W should crush that combo without issue.

You're spot on - seems I got a bad Dell brick from Amazon. Tested the system with a power meter and it's drawing ~240w max with the GTX 1070. Even with the 1080 it shouldn't have been more than ~300w, which has been confirmed by others.

It seems some of the Dell bricks either aren't legit, or have really bad quality control. I've returned mine and ordered one directly from Dell this time.

Thanks!

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Heads up to anyone using the Guryhwa adapter with the custom S4 DC jack... the "8-pin" version of the jack can't handle the 400 watts range and can melt itself and potentially catch fire. He has a more robust version that should be able to carry more amps, but I figure there might already be other users of the 8-pin DC jack who are pulling 400+ watts and I wanted to warn you.

My full post is in his thread:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...vailable-direct-order.1983/page-10#post-77757

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Holy shit. Any damage to your case? That would be an awful shame, especially considering the S4M-C is going out of production and it will be a collector's item.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Holy shit. Any damage to your case? That would be an awful shame, especially considering the S4M-C is going out of production and it will be a collector's item.

Case is perfectly fine, melting was entirely localized to the plug and jack. Glad I have my case up on a VESA mount, makes it easy to visually notice issues.

Someone in the other thread says that Guryhwa is already insisting that people order the 12-pin version of the jack when they're using a 1080ti, so I think that should do the trick.