S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
If you've compared the two, would you say the 6700T is worth getting over the 6700K for lower temps?
When I tested a 3570S against a K the 12W difference didn't seem to change much, but I imagine halving the TDP would be a notable change.

The mod on the connector doesn't look too hard from what I can see, I'm still excited to try my hand at this.

I'm really drawn to the cleanliness of the pico psu, but you guys are right.

You could try your luck at using the Z4-ATX-200 unit and a 300W power adapter.
The 6700T under a a 5 minute XTU burn test will heat up to about 60 degrees (VC45+A9x14 and Arctic Silver).

Depending on how actual cooling performance is within the S4, I might just swap the VC45 out for the L9i that I have on hand so that there's a little bit more breathing room for air intake.

edit; I suspect by this time next year - the Nvidia mid-range Volta cards may just deliver 980 Ti/1070 performance in a 100-120W TDP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curiosity

Shaun

Chassis Packer
Apr 23, 2016
You could try your luck at using the Z4-ATX-200 unit and a 300W power adapter.
The 6700T under a a 5 minute XTU burn test will heat up to about 60 degrees (VC45+A9x14 and Arctic Silver).

Has anyone else tested the Z4?

My own tests of the Z4 have been disappointing.

Setup:
i5-6500
Zotac GTX 1060 Mini
16GB Ram
256GB M.2

3 test scenarios:
1) HDPlex
2) Pico 160W
3) Z4 200W

All powered using a OEM 300W adapter.

For pure office type workload - think spreadsheets, surfing the web, docs, Z4 works perfectly fine with no hiccups. For gaming, total system load fluctuates between 130-190W for DOTA 2. This works perfectly fine on HDPlex and PICO. Using a Z4 will cause the system to shutdown. I suspect it either overheats or triggers a safety shutdown or something during peak watt pulls. The moment DOTA 2 boots up, within 2-5 mins of gameplay BOOM, dead PC. It'll take a little while before it can be powered up again.

The Z3 was notorious for having a cut off load way less than stated on its marketing materials. This was supposedly fixed with the Z4, but from the one i tested, doesn't seem like it. If someone could test and tell me i got a lemon, that'd be much appreciated!

The wires are pretty cool though :D

loc125

Caliper Novice
Jun 21, 2016
All, I know you guys want to use the size of the pico (etc), but, don't skimp on the power supply on these systems, opt for the HDPLEX 250W, modify the wirers and carry-on with your build. The HDPLEX has been a wonder to work with and has the juice needed to power the system and more.

The regular size systems iv'e built, I have always opted for a OP power-supply for that main reason. (a pc part you don't go cheap on)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Honestly I wasn't super impressed with the Z4-ATX-200. It blew with my second HDPlex 160 ACDC, but now that I've got a replacement and it seems really stable with the HDPlex 160 DCDC, I wonder if it might have been the issue all along. Certainly when looking at the quality of build and I presume the componentry, the HDPlex certainly looks like a superior product. To solve the cable clutter and rigidity issues I've had with both the stock and my own customs being too rigid for my application in the S4 mini, I've ordered in some of this:

http://www.polarwire.com

If the cables work out, the Pico shouldn't looks so appealing anymore.

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
modding the power adapter is fine, I was more concerned about the s4 case, I don't want to damage it, other things, especially the electronics are easy.

Especially if you let us all know how you went about it. :D
Yes, do let us know how you modded the power adapter!

So the C7 (with it's own fan) doesn't fit the case as you probably already know, hence the XT. The XT whilst seemingly fit in 120mm brackets, DOES NOT fit into Josh's 120mm fan bracket due to the bracket's angled "holders" that are bent at 90 degrees on both sides. So there are two ways to get around this:

1) Modify Josh's fan bracket by either cutting/bending the angled "holders" to make the entire bracket one flat piece, or,
2) Use a dremel and shave away the portion of the Fan that gets in the way of point 1 above.

Honestly I think it's too much trouble, and the best bet is just stick to Scythe slim fans, they work great. In fact, even without an extra fan, the CPU area is usually not too warm and can do without the extra fan. Then it's just a toss up if you think the extra fan will sufficiently cool the pico/HDPlex/bits of the GPU, but in my experience, the GPU, together with the long HDPlex cables, PCIE connector AND it's own shroud, is almost fully compartmentalized in it's own little section of the case, and any air from the fans don't help it that much.
Thats a great point - the bracket in the sketchup model I was using wasn't bent 90 degrees. I wasn't planning on using the bracket anyway though because of RAM clearance issues.

Edit:
i will definitely give you guys more details when I get to my room, currently on deployment across the other side of the world.
Thank you!

TheWhiteWolves

Caliper Novice
Jul 28, 2016
All, I know you guys want to use the size of the pico (etc), but, don't skimp on the power supply on these systems, opt for the HDPLEX 250W, modify the wirers and carry-on with your build. The HDPLEX has been a wonder to work with and has the juice needed to power the system and more.

The regular size systems iv'e built, I have always opted for a OP power-supply for that main reason. (a pc part you don't go cheap on)

A question for you loc, whats the powerdraw on your system, interested to know how far I could push it with the cpu if i had the 1070 e.g. do i stick with 6700 or try for the 6700K, that kind of thing

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
Has anyone else tested the Z4?

My own tests of the Z4 have been disappointing.

Setup:
i5-6500
Zotac GTX 1060 Mini
16GB Ram
256GB M.2

3 test scenarios:
1) HDPlex
2) Pico 160W
3) Z4 200W

All powered using a OEM 300W adapter.

For pure office type workload - think spreadsheets, surfing the web, docs, Z4 works perfectly fine with no hiccups. For gaming, total system load fluctuates between 130-190W for DOTA 2. This works perfectly fine on HDPlex and PICO. Using a Z4 will cause the system to shutdown. I suspect it either overheats or triggers a safety shutdown or something during peak watt pulls. The moment DOTA 2 boots up, within 2-5 mins of gameplay BOOM, dead PC. It'll take a little while before it can be powered up again.

The Z3 was notorious for having a cut off load way less than stated on its marketing materials. This was supposedly fixed with the Z4, but from the one i tested, doesn't seem like it. If someone could test and tell me i got a lemon, that'd be much appreciated!

The wires are pretty cool though :D
I had tested the Z4 for quite some time, both with a 4 year old GTX 660ti and the GTX 1060 both were set to consume less power than usual. I played GTAV for a good 6-8 hours and I had no crashes with the GTX 660ti, as for the GTX 1060 it handled GTAV with no crashes as well. I believe the power brick gave out before the Z4 did, but that was due to me bumping into the power brick most likely. So perhaps you put it under too much load, or you may have gotten a lemon; but from my experience the Z4 works great for gaming. My only concern is the heat output. Hope this helps!

Shaun

Chassis Packer
Apr 23, 2016
Hi Shaun,

Can you do me a solid and take a picture of the 192W AC-DC power brick you used side by side with the Dell power brick? How's the weight compared to the Dell? Thanks!

Rene

Rene - see the images below, hope this helps. Weight wise.. all pretty similar.

! Left to Right: Pico 192W, Flextronics PA-9E 240W, DELL 300W

I had tested the Z4 for quite some time, both with a 4 year old GTX 660ti and the GTX 1060 both were set to consume less power than usual. I played GTAV for a good 6-8 hours and I had no crashes with the GTX 660ti, as for the GTX 1060 it handled GTAV with no crashes as well. I believe the power brick gave out before the Z4 did, but that was due to me bumping into the power brick most likely. So perhaps you put it under too much load, or you may have gotten a lemon; but from my experience the Z4 works great for gaming. My only concern is the heat output. Hope this helps!

Good to know, thanks! Maybe in the future i'll have a go again, but i'll just stick to the HDPlex for now.

Cheers
Shaun

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
So the C7 (with it's own fan) doesn't fit the case as you probably already know, hence the XT. The XT whilst seemingly fit in 120mm brackets, DOES NOT fit into Josh's 120mm fan bracket due to the bracket's angled "holders" that are bent at 90 degrees on both sides. So there are two ways to get around this:

1) Modify Josh's fan bracket by either cutting/bending the angled "holders" to make the entire bracket one flat piece, or,
2) Use a dremel and shave away the portion of the Fan that gets in the way of point 1 above.

Honestly I think it's too much trouble, and the best bet is just stick to Scythe slim fans, they work great. In fact, even without an extra fan, the CPU area is usually not too warm and can do without the extra fan. Then it's just a toss up if you think the extra fan will sufficiently cool the pico/HDPlex/bits of the GPU, but in my experience, the GPU, together with the long HDPlex cables, PCIE connector AND it's own shroud, is almost fully compartmentalized in it's own little section of the case, and any air from the fans don't help it that much.

Looking at the design of Cryorig XT fan and its mounting holes it seems to me other 140mm fans with 120mm mounting holes still might fit depending on the area around the mounting holes. But yeah I did not notice the 90 degrees bend on the fan bracket holder before your post so have to be aware of that.

Also sure the gpu might not benefit much by a larger fan over the cpu area however here we are talking about replacing the cpu fan entirely by a larger diameter fan. But one thing I am concerned about is how such a fan configuration will work pushing air though a rather compact heatsink as most of these smaller heatsinks are. They seem to rely on relatively high fan speeds to deliver adequate cooling.

Unfortunately I haven't since I don't have one yet.
But I do still have the fan, and once I get my hands on one of the cases I'll make sure to try it.
The problem I had with it was that at the time my build was all but inaudible, even at 100% load. I was running a 750ti passively, and wanted to get it away from it's 80C load temps, and tried adding the USV14, but when it ran at a really low speed it was audible. At it's default speed it wasn't that the motor was loud, it just moved too much air and made a whoooosh.

Thanks for the info. Please try it if you can when you receive your case and share the result. I would be very interested.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Question - are there any 192w+ adapters out there using the 4-pin DIN connector?

My PicoPSU came with another screw-on 1-pin power connector but not sure which adapters it'll work with...

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
Question - are there any 192w+ adapters out there using the 4-pin DIN connector?

My PicoPSU came with another screw-on 1-pin power connector but not sure which adapters it'll work with...

Here in Europe it's the Adaptec? , sold in the same place where they sell the pico units. They also sell them bundeled and ready to go, has the 4-pin din connector for your case bundled aswell. I was tempted to get the pico 160XT + Adaptec 192w , but seeing that I would be on the powerlimit and the 192w brick isn't that much smaller than a Dell or Voodoo unit. I think I'll stick to the Hdplex since it hasn't let me down so far.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Here in Europe it's the Adaptec? , sold in the same place where they sell the pico units. They also sell them bundeled and ready to go, has the 4-pin din connector for your case bundled aswell. I was tempted to get the pico 160XT + Adaptec 192w , but seeing that I would be on the powerlimit and the 192w brick isn't that much smaller than a Dell or Voodoo unit. I think I'll stick to the Hdplex since it hasn't let me down so far.

Yikes, I should've been more specific. I already have the 192W Adaptec -- was wondering if there are higher wattage units using the 4-pin DIN.

MeroVanq

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2016
Loc125 looks great setup - I look forward to the breakdown when you're back.

My question is around noise levels with that set up? Mirrors what I'd like to put into the case but concerned around noise levels idle or under load. Also hows the temperature with that level of hardware?

Thanks

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Seeing how slim that flextronic is I'm almost tempted to go with a 1060 just so I can use the slimmer power brick without really worrying about power output, aha.

Last edited:

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
If one decides to use the gtx 1060 with the pico XT160 or any other gpu requiring a 6 pin connector, would it be okay to use a molex to 6pin adapter? I might go with this option obviously I will have to power limit gpu somewhat or the 3770 and gtx 1060 will draw to much power.

I could also solder the gpu directly to the pico psu or try to make some custom cables however I do not have the equipment for crimping molex connectors so I would rather avoid it if I can.

Luckily I am in no rush and will also the consider the rumoured gtx 1050 although it depends on the performance.

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
If one decides to use the gtx 1060 with the pico XT160 or any other gpu requiring a 6 pin connector, would it be okay to use a molex to 6pin adapter? I might go with this option obviously I will have to power limit gpu somewhat or the 3770 and gtx 1060 will draw to much power.

I could also solder the gpu directly to the pico psu or try to make some custom cables however I do not have the equipment for crimping molex connectors so I would rather avoid it if I can.

Luckily I am in no rush and will also the consider the rumoured gtx 1050 although it depends on the performance.

It would be alright to use a Molex to 6 pin with the 160XT, I've been using that for maybe a month now with the 1060 at 90% without a boost clock just to be safe. You could probably push more power out of it if you'd like, but it depends on the power consumption of your CPU, as well as the games or benchmarks you may be tinkering with.

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
It would be alright to use a Molex to 6 pin with the 160XT, I've been using that for maybe a month now with the 1060 at 90% without a boost clock just to be safe. You could probably push more power out of it if you'd like, but it depends on the power consumption of your CPU, as well as the games or benchmarks you may be tinkering with.

Good to know. How do you disable boost clocks? And did you measure the power consumption from the wall?