S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

TheChristoph99

Efficiency Noob
Oct 17, 2019
@Josh | NFC
josh i've watched your video on the noctua l9i proper instalation

I've been trying it on my asus b150i gaming wifi mini-itx motherboard and I can't install it with the fins in the vertical position. the capacitor next to the io of the motherboard is too tall and won't make good contact between the cpu and the heatsink. I know it's the caps because after the installation the caps are slightly bent. have you ever face this issue with another board? how can i fix this? I do wish to install it like you do for better thermals

Marv21

Caliper Novice
Feb 28, 2016
Hello boys,
my 1060 SC died and iam searching for a replacement. Something in the € area ~400€. Like a 2070s oder 5700xt. Is there something that will fit in an S4Mini Classic without Mods? I have the extern Dell Brick and only the HDPlex in Case.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Hello boys,
my 1060 SC died and iam searching for a replacement. Something in the € area ~400€. Like a 2070s oder 5700xt. Is there something that will fit in an S4Mini Classic without Mods? I have the extern Dell Brick and only the HDPlex in Case.
Check the gigabyte 2070 mini, it should have similar fitment to the giga 1070/1080 cards

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Brickeless S4M-C build with low profile graphics card and HDPLEX ACDC.
No modding of case, but motherboard's backplate is modded to fit power plug entry.
See one of images below for details.

Somehow, as of sometime last year, the HDPLEX 200w ACDC unit had loud coil whine noise issue and I returned to HDPLEX.
HDPLEX ACDC 400w version 2 has no issue with coil whine noise. At least unnoticeable and inaudible so far.
Noise issue for HDPLEX 200w ACDC may be solved by now, but I am not sure.
I went with 400w, but 200w ACDC should fit, too.

PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GiantEnemyCrab/saved/PHrQD3

Last edited:

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
Hello boys,
Found the German

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Brickeless S4M-C build with low profile graphics card and HDPLEX ACDC.
No modding of case, but motherboard's backplate is modded to fit power plug entry.
See one of images below for details.

Somehow, as of sometime last year, the HDPLEX 200w ACDC unit had loud coil whine noise issue and I returned to HDPLEX.
HDPLEX ACDC 400w version 2 has no issue with coil whine noise. At least unnoticeable and inaudible so far.
Noise issue for HDPLEX 200w ACDC may be solved by now, but I am not sure.
I went with 400w, but 200w ACDC should fit, too.

PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GiantEnemyCrab/saved/PHrQD3
Hi! It was great to see you on the NFC Discord yesterday!.. just wanted to ask.. how did you exactly make the hole for the C5/C6 power connector/cable in the back of your motherboard I/O? Did you cut a small hole for the 3 prongs, and then drilled 2 tiny holes for the screws... how did you attach the screws, did you tap the holes you drilled for them??

Reactions: A415Hz

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
I just drilled the motherboard backplate.
The hole for the 3 prongs is not too small but enough to accommodate it.
For screws, I did drill very small holes. A bit smaller than the screws to make the fit tight enough.
I need to be very gentle when pulling the cord. It's not perfect but it is doing ok so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: CubanLegend

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Does anyone know which RTX 3080 cards can be "hotrodded" out of this case if I have the wraparound bezel removed? So far the only two models that looks like they'll work are the Founders Edition and the EVGA XC3. Everything else is more then 2 slot width or are significantly taller than the GPU bracket you screw into the case.

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
Hi guys! I'm looking to upgrade my S4M-C, most likely with a new graphics card. This is my current setup, which is about 3 years old:

GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING
Intel i7-7700 + Noctua NH-L9i
Asus ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB DDR4 3000
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
HDPlex 400W + Dell 330-Watt AC Adapter

What's the best I can upgrade to without having to get a bigger PSU? The one I have already feels pretty tight in the case and I'm not looking to do any modding.

Reactions: paullusty

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
If you want to stay below 120 Watt (like the 1060) you don't have so much options. 1660 TI or 1660 Super are a bit faster but already a bit dated. AMD has currently no interesting options. If you can wait a bit, see how the upcoming Geforce 3060 and 3050 will perform. Maybe one of these will fit into your PSU limit.

Did you checked how close you are to your PSU limit with your current setup? I am running a Ryzen 2600 with a 1070 TI (180 Watt) and HDPlex 400W AC (inside s4m non classic). I did a bit UV for CPU/GPU. In Games my system is usually below 250 Watt. So maybe you could also use stronger GPU?

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
Josh said the RTX 3060 Ti should technically fit as the old SM4-Cs were designed for video cards up to 8 inch length.

The power requirements are: "minimum of a 600 Watt power supply. Total Power Draw: 200 Watts"

Whereas the eVGA says the GTX 1060 requires "400 Watt or greater power supply."

So I'm not sure if the HDPlex 400W is enough...