S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
sorry for the double post, catching up on tht thread after my Titan TTC-25 fun last night. XD this is the SAME issue I had with the Titan TTC-25, I couldn't clear the capacitors on my z270i STRIX board. I hope you figure it out bro, FOR SCIENCE! I'd love to see your temps, I'm still praying that I find something that BEATS the LP53 & NF-A9x14 combo I have, cuz it's the king right now.

Thanks, I went ahead and got the Dynatron B6 from NewEgg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114149

Eyeballing it, I should be able to just barely clear the capacitors.If that doesn't work, the last resort is the B4: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...5114147&cm_re=dynatron-_-35-114-147-_-Product

Dynatron does do OEM stuff... I wonder what the cost would be to design a 115X all-copper vapor chamber if there were a group-buy thing. It boggles my mind they have so many super-obscure all-copper vapor chambers for really obscure sockets but never did one for 115X.

Edit: Come to think of it though, maybe these super-obscure sockets actually have hundreds of thousands of servers in datacenters, and they're they only people making heatsinks for them. Still, wouldn't hurt to ask what they're willing to do.

Edit 2: Crap, on further examination, the B6 vapor chamber is actually pretty much flush with the bottom of the heatsink, as it looks like there's a steel reinforcement frame surrounding the copper contact plate. It does seem like the steel plate might only be riveted on (as opposed to bonded with strong adhesive), so I may still be able to remove the steel plate to make a gap for the capacitors.

Last edited:

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
The Gigabyte 1070 and 1080 minis fit, but some modding needs to be done to the HDPlex power connector. Does anyone know what kind of modding needs to be done if using one of Gury's power supply?

Reactions: Biowarejak

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@CubanLegend I originally had the same mobio as you, until I switched to the 8700k. It was perfect flat on mine. Let me take my cooler off and check how I have it setup.
sweet, thanks! I wonder if your thermal grease on the CPU IHS was spread evenly, cuz mine wasnt and it clearly showed that the cooler wasnt making full contact. :(

@CubanLegend honestly Cuban thank you for all you post on here, it has been tremendously helpful to me getting started in sff. Before my s4 I thought my caselabs s3 was small form factor!
Awww, thanks @kittysox I just enjoy sharing my findings if it can help someone else with their future S4 builds.

Thanks, I went ahead and got the Dynatron B6 from NewEgg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114149

Eyeballing it, I should be able to just barely clear the capacitors.If that doesn't work, the last resort is the B4: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...5114147&cm_re=dynatron-_-35-114-147-_-Product

Dynatron does do OEM stuff... I wonder what the cost would be to design a 115X all-copper vapor chamber if there were a group-buy thing. It boggles my mind they have so many super-obscure all-copper vapor chambers for really obscure sockets but never did one for 115X.

Edit: Come to think of it though, maybe these super-obscure sockets actually have hundreds of thousands of servers in datacenters, and they're they only people making heatsinks for them. Still, wouldn't hurt to ask what they're willing to do.

Edit 2: Crap, on further examination, the B6 vapor chamber is actually pretty much flush with the bottom of the heatsink, as it looks like there's a steel reinforcement frame surrounding the copper contact plate. It does seem like the steel plate might only be riveted on (as opposed to bonded with strong adhesive), so I may still be able to remove the steel plate to make a gap for the capacitors.
Nice! I hope this Dynatron works out!

Felidire

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame there's no 40mm tall heatsink with horizontal (or slightly diagonal) fins. Pop two 40mm fans on one side of that, and I'd bet it would perform nicely; the surface area increase should make a big difference. I'm guessing Dynatron probably charges an arm & leg for special requests though.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
@CubanLegend So do you run into any fitment issues with the LP-53? Do you have any problems with the fan getting too close to the side panel and causing some noise?

Also does anyone know how to keep the bezel on the S4 and fit a 1080 in it? Lol I bought it for the bezel and want to keep the bezel!

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
I bet the gigabyte 1080 wouldn’t interfere with the bezel. I think the power connector does require I minor mod to its pcb though.

Last edited:

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
@CubanLegend So do you run into any fitment issues with the LP-53? Do you have any problems with the fan getting too close to the side panel and causing some noise?

Also does anyone know how to keep the bezel on the S4 and fit a 1080 in it? Lol I bought it for the bezel and want to keep the bezel!
only way to make it fit is by removing the fans and fan shroud and even then the fins will be touching the bezel.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

Check my build log. I think i detailed the LP53 install in this post.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
The Gigabyte 1070 and 1080 minis fit, but some modding needs to be done to the HDPlex power connector. Does anyone know what kind of modding needs to be done if using one of Gury's power supply?

If you're talking about the classic S4 Mini, you don't have to mod anything for Gury's power supply, his plug-in connector mounts to the outside of the case (screws mount on the inside). The inside of the case only has two extremely flexible wires to carry the power, they are silicone jacketed I believe so they are easy to snake around anything. Just make sure to show him the pics of my connector when you order, because I believe he makes different kinds.

Here's mine:

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Thought you all might get a kick out of this, my S4 with 1080ti can actually mine cryptocoins at 400 watts sustained with the Gury PSU and Meanwell HEP-600-12:

So, it costs me 67 cents a day in electricity to make $3.06 profit, and dump 400 watts of heat into my room, since it's freezing here in Boston right now that's a welcome bonus. With the S4 Mini mounted on my Ergotron monitor arm, and the 1080ti Founders Edition being a blower cooler, I can actually tilt the thing to blow towards my chair or bed.

S4 Mini, the adjustable heat blower that pays you to use it!

I usually roll my eyes at the whole Bitcoin thing but it takes 5 minutes to set up NiceHash and Coinbase.com so you can just cash it out to USD every week or so.

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017

1. Have a custom bezel made out of 3/8 aluminum and mill out a recessed part for the extra length

2. Do what this guy did:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-systems-s4-mini.96/page-196#post-64034

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thought you all might get a kick out of this, my S4 with 1080ti can actually mine cryptocoins at 400 watts sustained with the Gury PSU and Meanwell HEP-600-12:

So, it costs me 67 cents a day in electricity to make $3.06 profit, and dump 400 watts of heat into my room, since it's freezing here in Boston right now that's a welcome bonus. With the S4 Mini mounted on my Ergotron monitor arm, and the 1080ti Founders Edition being a blower cooler, I can actually tilt the thing to blow towards my chair or bed.

I usually roll my eyes at the whole Bitcoin thing but it takes 5 minutes to set up NiceHash and Coinbase.com so you can just cash it out to USD every week or so.

If you leave it running whenever you aren't using your computer, you can actually feed your Humble Bundle addiction :) if you have one, that is

Reactions: robbee

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
Sweet, just ordered my Titan TTC-NC25/HS on ebay. I wish I could get the little metal fan brackets it comes with when you get the OFFICIAL Heatsink (AND FAN) combo.... :( Anyone know where I can get some 92mm fan brackets to fit that Titan CPU Cooler? it would be nice to be able to mount the NHL(i's NF-A9x14 on top for a test

Also, just ordered that 120x12 slim prolimatech vortex fan, and the Noctua NF-A12x15. I can use them with the Titan when it arrives and the NEXUS LOW-7000 R2 if temp testing from that one by @ceski pans out. :D

So i got my titan in and I dont have a clue about clips for the 92mm noctua fans BUT i got the clips off of this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00501PZ7C/?tag=theminutiae-20 to work with a slim 80mm Akasa fan and it fits perfectly

Ill have to keep searching for a 92mm fan clip solution though.

EDIT: Think you could just bend the ones that came with the titan 6mm each side?

Last edited:

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
If you leave it running whenever you aren't using your computer, you can actually feed your Humble Bundle addiction :) if you have one, that is

I unsubscribed from Humble Monthly, since IGN bought Humble Bundle and most of the Humble Monthly proceeds go to them now. But since I can send the weekly Bundle proceeds to charity and devs I still get those, good idea to use Bitcoin on that.

Also I had no idea that a 7700k can actually mine NiceHash profitably. I now have it mining with CPU and GPU at the same time, it brought my daily earn from $3.73 to $4.32, for only 10 extra watts. Seems the CPU can mine as well at it needs at only 50% utilization. Still have plenty of power left over to surf the web.

Check out this action shot as the S4 showers me with warmth and money:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I unsubscribed from Humble Monthly, since IGN bought Humble Bundle and most of the Humble Monthly proceeds go to them now. But since I can send the weekly Bundle proceeds to charity and devs I still get those, good idea to use Bitcoin on that.

Also I had no idea that a 7700k can actually mine NiceHash profitably. I now have it mining with CPU and GPU at the same time, it brought my daily earn from $3.73 to $4.32, for only 10 extra watts. Seems the CPU can mine as well at it needs at only 50% utilization. Still have plenty of power left over to surf the web.

Check out this action shot as the S4 showers me with warmth and money:

Nice! :)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

awesome, while my S4M-C is at home I'll have it running this. :D I could use some extra food money at the end of the week from fueling my new SRM build savings account!

martinel91

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 25, 2017
I have my z370 Strix board, msi 1060 and nvme drive all ready and waiting to go into my s4. i5 8400 will be here Monday so I can finish it all. I’m going to be swapping out the hdplex 400 in favor of a 160 unit in this pc. The 400 can go in something else once orders open up again.

hi, can you tell me how well the hdplex 160w can handle that configuration? because i'm a bit skeptical. I want the same config but i can't understand how that PSU can power that config in full load, where just GPU take 120w and ~80w CPU, and Xw motherboard, and storage and etc

ECHO

Trash Compacter
Dec 3, 2016
Has anyone seen MSI's 330w laptop brick? Seems quite reasonably priced XD

That said, I have been thinking about using a Meanwell unit for 500w+ of future headroom:

...my S4 with 1080ti can actually mine cryptocoins at 400 watts sustained with the Gury PSU and Meanwell HEP-600-12...

I do like the sound of that :p

---
On another note, it seems the Sapphire ITX RX 570 is back in stock at Newegg - I can't find any stock locally (Australia), and I already have a Freesync monitor - so if you're also after a Red card, I don't know if they'll be around for long.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017