S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Finished a build for a customer: Sanguis Crassior Est

Family is very important to him and wanted his family crest and other details in honor of his brothers brought into the build. There is alot of custom work in this system, but the relevant part is the front bezel. Fits the 1080 MINI with no modding:

killer looks.. hahah pun intended. those ram cutouts so sexy. I wish i could buy a separate cover just to so this. Loving the 3d bezel as well looks very clean. I am guessing the d brand skin on one side. I also really like the hex bolts that were used just for the added touch.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
killer looks.. hahah pun intended. those ram cutouts so sexy. I wish i could buy a separate cover just to so this. Loving the 3d bezel as well looks very clean. I am guessing the d brand skin on one side. I also really like the hex bolts that were used just for the added touch.

It's actually 100% legit carbon fiber. Took 5 hours to mill. XD

KilnicCaskpike

What's an ITX?
May 29, 2017
I certainly hope so. I'd totally upgrade from my HDPLEX-300 and my Dell-330W to a G-Unique 400w and modded Dell-400w. or maybe I'd spring for a 500W and 500W modded Power brick? :D

We shall see, only time will tell if I'll need to upgrade my PSU solution. I might skip the 1080 Ti Mini if it's not worth the upgrade yet, and I might wait until the next gen Ti mini... if I can hold out that long. I'm still paying off my old S4 mini build slowly at least until November of this year, XD
I hear you! I am slowly paying off my build and some of it isn't even here yet haha

Reactions: br3nd0

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
Are we living in a world of pure imagination?
I'm kind of saddened by that. You lose bragging rights for the highest top end build (except for any preference for storage past M.2 above 250GB's, because it's all personal needs at that point), when the highest top end build can potentially include a $1,999 processor. i7-7700k being king was easily doable, now, we all just free floating in space.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I'm kind of saddened by that. You lose bragging rights for the highest top end build (except for any preference for storage past M.2 above 250GB's, because it's all personal needs at that point), when the highest top end build can potentially include a $1,999 processor. i7-7700k being king was easily doable, now, we all just free floating in space.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...e-with-intel-x299-and-skylake-x/#73c88d88db95

Wait for AMD 16 core, 32 "Threadripper" to come out for less than $1000 and then feel better about it? Although I don't think the cooling solutions for either of the CPUs could fit in an S4 Mini even if there are ITX boards for both platforms. It's all about what's necessary though. Do you really need 64 cores to do whatever it is you need to do? (*Cough* Play games *Cough*)

BrainTaste

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2017
steamcommunity.com
We're at the point where we are just trying to cram the most powerful parts we can into such a small enclosure. Sure, no one 'needs' that much power, but that is kind of subjective, and that's not what I like about building in the S4. I like trying to make the system a powerhouse and a half.

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
We're at the point where we are just trying to cram the most powerful parts we can into such a small enclosure. Sure, no one 'needs' that much power, but that is kind of subjective, and that's not what I like about building in the S4. I like trying to make the system a powerhouse and a half.

Exactly. I want a single gpu system with the highest power/liter ratio. i want a computer that ultimately becomes sentient and murders me in my sleep. That is the point of this exercise. If I wanted practicality, I wouldn't have spent hundreds of dollars on a case that's the size of a thick "choose your own adventure" story.

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
Has anyone or Josh ever milled out an opening on the original bezel and then put vent plate over it? Might not look thaaaat good.. but could still look _good_ not sure.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Josh mentioned in an older NFC video about fitting the Gigabyte GTX 1070 in the case that buyers should request a mode be done to the standard DC-IN jack if you were planning on using an HDPlex 300. Not sure how the HDPlex 400 is going to handle the DC jack, but do those currently require a request for a mod still or has that been addressed in the main design? Didn't see any mention of this on the store page.

Thanks!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Josh mentioned in an older NFC video about fitting the Gigabyte GTX 1070 in the case that buyers should request a mode be done to the standard DC-IN jack if you were planning on using an HDPlex 300. Not sure how the HDPlex 400 is going to handle the DC jack, but do those currently require a request for a mod still or has that been addressed in the main design? Didn't see any mention of this on the store page.

Thanks!

Hello, Reldey.

Hopefully I can answer your question. I think you might be combining two video's information.

1. You do not need to do any modding to the R3 MINI to install an HDPLEX DC Jack. For the very first run, you needed to drill another hole or turn them into slots. This is now irrelevant and had been for a while.

2. The Gigabyte 1070 Mini is a very tall card and basically occupies the space where the HDPLEX's DC jack goes. You need to mod the connector, or relocate it to use this card in the MINI.

Either way the model of the HDPLEX doesn't matter. Does this help a bit? If not please let me know.

Peace

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Hello, Reldey.

Hopefully I can answer your question. I think you might be combining two video's information.

1. You do not need to do any modding to the R3 MINI to install an HDPLEX DC Jack. For the very first run, you needed to drill another hole or turn them into slots. This is now irrelevant and had been for a while.

2. The Gigabyte 1070 Mini is a very tall card and basically occupies the space where the HDPLEX's DC jack goes. You need to mod the connector, or relocate it to use this card in the MINI.

Either way the model of the HDPLEX doesn't matter. Does this help a bit? If not please let me know.

Peace

Haha, I assume you meant S4 Mini, but yes point 1 answers my question. Thank you!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I'm totally satisfied with my 7700k/1080mini S4 Mini's performance and portability at this time (i haul it to and from work every day (so much so that I might even buy a SECOND Dell-330W power brick, just to minimize having to carry it around too). And I am SUPER hyped for the x299 Mini-ITX boards and Sky-X and Kaby-X chips... not salty at ALL to lose the "top performing S4 Mini" build bragging rights in the future, lol. If you future S4 Mini owners (or current ones can who will upgrade) will have your builds to fit a 1080 "Ti" Mini, and a HUGE 6-8-10-12 Core Intel x299 CPU in there, by all means do it, but let's also keep our hype realistic, fellas.
Okay, so X299 Mini ITX boards seem to exist. But we all need to remember some VERY IMPORTANT FACTS, these motherboards are going to be running Skylake-X and KabyLake-X CPUs in socket LGA2066 ... which all are over 112-140 Watt TDP...

We already have temperature issues with the 91W 7700k and 6700k (unless we delid it AND spend $$ to Frankenstein an LP53 and NF-A9x14PWM fan to fit in an S4 Mini) ... So a Kabylake-X CPU like the 4C/8T 7740k (which is the lowest they have) is NOT going to be able to be cooled decently inside an S4 mini unless we get a better CPU HSF thats under 47mm along with a better fan too... OH and have we even SEEN any LGA 2066 CPU HSF's that are under 47mm? Or at least mounting options for our current Mini-ITX coolers like the NHL9i or LP53 that work for LGA2066?...

But there's hope: something that MIGHT helps is if we decide to DELID a Skylake-X or Kabylake-X chip (which seems to be possible) but without a proper CPU HSF solution, delidding an LGA2066 CPU STILL might not be enough to cool a 112 or 140watt TDP chip inside an S4 Mini. :(

And lets not forget that these x299 ITX mobos will probably all be dunning DDR4 So-DIMMS, lol.
AND these x299 CPUs have no integrated graphics, so we're giving that up as well.

So guys, let's be hyped for the availability of these amazingly compact x299 Socket 2066 Mini-iTX mobo's, BUT... let's keep expectations real.

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
Ahh OK, I had heard the Run 3 term used previously, didn't realize that the upcoming September orders are also designed the same as the R3. That clears things up.
As I have pre-ordered an S4-R3, can I confirm: I will be able to use an HD-Plex 400W, no mod necessary? Also, Josh, is it possible to have a non acrylic, wrap around bezel that will accommodate the upcoming 1080Ti mini? I like the original case design, but I want to embarrass my friends with both uncompromised performance AND aesthetic.

Reactions: Biowarejak