S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
Weather in my area prevented me from being able to do my modification and this weekend is not looking any better.

M̶y̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶r̶a̶n̶/̶c̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶r̶a̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶a̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶t̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶r̶e̶a̶k̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶t̶u̶t̶o̶r̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶m̶u̶n̶i̶t̶y̶.̶
̶
̶P̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶e̶m̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶i̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶r̶c̶e̶.̶ ̶O̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶"̶o̶p̶e̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶r̶e̶s̶"̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶s̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶o̶a̶m̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶l̶i̶c̶a̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶g̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶
̶
̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶u̶g̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶a̶b̶o̶r̶/̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶n̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶C̶P̶U̶ ̶c̶o̶o̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶b̶s̶e̶s̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶.̶ ̶W̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶s̶u̶b̶m̶e̶r̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶t̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶/̶s̶i̶l̶e̶n̶t̶.̶
̶
̶E̶n̶s̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶s̶o̶r̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶D̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶r̶i̶s̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶/̶w̶a̶r̶p̶i̶n̶g̶.̶
̶
̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶ ̶a̶c̶h̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶i̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶u̶l̶t̶s̶.̶
̶

Along with the NF-A9x14 I planned to dye the HDPlex 24 pin cable for those who wanted a simple aesthetic mod.

Edit: Reason for needing to be outdoors during this is that the dye including the steam will stain work surfaces and has an odor that is not toxic but undesirable. Also, the dye is iDye poly specifically not Rit/DyeMore/other fabric dyes. This product is used by keyboard enthusiasts to dye plastics with fantastic results. Any questions on supplies or process just shoot me a PM if this starts clogging the thread.

UPDATE EDIT: My theory for dyeing the fan is correct but my execution was sub-par resulting in only partial dye absorption. I have edited with strikethrough admitting that dyeing of the fan blades separate from frame is not possible because optimal temperatures of both the dye and fan surface are difficult to control (they cool off rapidly)

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@CXH4 That's nuts!!!!

@Kmpkt Looks like a LP53 was on my office desk when I got home. Was that you? Whoever sent it to me, thanks! Or maybe I ordered it. I don't remember. Feel free to take credit.

XD
an LP53?! HYPEEEE You gonna attempt fitment in the z270i with the fins parellel to RAM? Or do you plan doing and temp video of it in the S4 mini comparing it to the NH-L9i?

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Lol I I was on a list in early October and got mine early February.
Sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for: this is one of those things.
Yep, oh well... The S4 Mini was my 2nd choice, but would have become the first if availability was better than my first. It's not, so I've now backordered my A4-SFX ;)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Yep, oh well... The S4 Mini was my 2nd choice, but would have become the first if availability was better than my first. It's not, so I've now backordered my A4-SFX ;)
I understand if you'd need a computer sooner rather than later, but in my case the wait allowed me to choose more newly released hardware, increasing my hardware options.

For example I was able to upgrade my GPU choice from the 1070mini to the new 1080mini, and my platform from z170/6600k to the more future proof chipset/better CPU combo of z270/7700k. If i'd waited a week or two longer I'd even been able to go from normal DDR4 to RGB DDR4 that would've synced with my mobo's build-in RGB.

Reactions: CXH4

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
I love my RGB set! It's so worth it with that MB.
I understand if you'd need a computer sooner rather than later, but in my case the wait allowed me to choose more newly released hardware, increasing my hardware options.

For example I was able to upgrade my GPU choice from the 1070mini to the new 1080mini, and my platform from z170/6600k to the more future proof chipset/better CPU combo of z270/7700k. If i'd waited a week or two longer I'd even been able to go from normal DDR4 to RGB DDR4 that would've synced with my mobo's build-in RGB.

Reactions: CubanLegend

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
So I have a bit of an issue with my build and I'm not sure where to go from here. My i5-7600 is running low 70C in games in a open air environment. I know there are a lot of variables and I know those temps are safe but I don't like how high they are so I am at a crossroads. I'm thinking about jumping to a 7700T but I'm wondering if I would lose any performance for games or would I gain any or just about the same? My 1060 is running at about 65-66C max. I love the performance for the money big thanks to @Josh | NFC for recommending that GPU, it's super quiet and very little whine.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Which cooler and thermal paste are you using? As far as loss of performance, it'd really be a matter of what you're playing and what it's inclination to CPU vs. GPU bounding is.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
So I have a bit of an issue with my build and I'm not sure where to go from here. My i5-7600 is running low 70C in games in a open air environment.

70C is a pretty normal CPU temp. You shouldn't start worrying until you're getting over 80C and even then, 90C-100C is the 'real' red zone.

If you're unhappy with your thermals, your options are:
  • See if your CPU/Chipset/Motherboard allow Underclocking and Undervolting. (Cheapest solution.)
  • Double check your application of thermal paste. Maybe try new/better-reviewed paste. (Next cheapest solution.)
  • Try a different CPU cooler.
  • Try a different CPU. (Most expensive.)

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Alright I just ran a couple of tests with the stock cooler with NT-H1 on it. I ran H1Z1 for a while and averaged out at 77C and then I tested Prime95 on it and it destroyed temps I was sitting at 100C all cores and throttling down to 3.3 from 3.7 and 4.2 turbo. I don't even have an unlocked chip.... I will retest the noctua and try my results again because I know the stock cooler is trash haha.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Unless you are in a really hot environment, I think your temps are a bit high for a test bench for sure. Not dangerous as I mentioned in the email, but high. Keep in mind though you have a CPU built for tower coolers and you are using a teeny SFF cooler, so 70s is really not bad all things considered for 100% workloads.

Peace.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
This is true, I just find it very odd that others are getting lower temps with higher end chips like Techeverything I believe is his YouTube channel. He only had 60's with his i7, I'll be it he didn't really say what games he was playing but even the stress results were better then this i5 is doing. I'm just worried I'm going to throw this in the mini and it's going to be even hotter under load then it is now.
Unless you are in a really hot environment, I think your temps are a bit high for a test bench for sure. Not dangerous as I mentioned in the email, but high. Keep in mind though you have a CPU built for tower coolers and you are using a teeny SFF cooler, so 70s is really not bad all things considered for 100% workloads.

Peace.
T

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

Peace.
This is a very true point from Josh and it is very important for you to understand @ngriesdo... here's what i discovered:
normal idle temps with big Full-ATX Coolers would get about 32c idle on AIR(in a case) on a stock K chip. Remember they have a HUGE HSF that can dissipate heat way better than the tiny NH-L9i.

36-37c was my idle on my stock 7700K in an open test bench on my NH-L9i.
38-39c was my idle on my OC'ed 7700K (1.25vcore 4.8GHz) again on an Open Test Bench.
46/47c was my idle on my stock 7700K IN THE S4 Mini on my NH-L9i (side panel off)
50-51c was my idle on my stock 7700K IN THE S4 Mini on my NH-L9i (side panel on)
51-52c was my idle on my OC'ed 7700K (1.28vcore 1.8GHz) in S4 Mini & NH-L9i (side panel on)

HUGE DISCLAIMER the temps from IN the S4 mini would drop 1-3c from the above if my AC was blowing, as my room's ambient temp would drop to 22c/73F as the S4 sits right under where the cold Central A/C air hits from the ceiling vent.

ALSO NOTE: although Idle temps seem like a good indicator of a HSF's heat dissipation when there's no load... it's the in-game LOAD temps are a better indicator. Just remember that load temps are affected by if the game is CPU-bound and those load temps can be affected if your HSF is experiencing heat soak.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdZ and ngriesdo

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Yes, I agree with Josh. I just finished re-testing with the noctua l9i again, it was better but still worse then I had hoped. I run about 38c idle in a 71F room. It's currently 30F outside my door so it's not adding extra heat to the room and I have the test bed to the left of my monitor off the floor on my desk away from any heat sources. I can't imagine how hot this thing will get when summer hits.. Anyways the re-test got me about 69c on average in game so it dropped a couple of degrees but it still throttled hard in Prime95 98c on two cores and 100c on the other two. I know that that won't be a normal load but I would have thought that it may have cooled better then it did. I think what I am going to do is return this i5 and get a i7 7700T to try and get the temps do even further. This CPU is the one problem in this build and I don't like those temps enough to keep it.

Reactions: McTeags