S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Got my S4 up and running.

Here's how it looked before I crammed in the HDPlex:

By the way, the HDPlex 250's ATX cables are NOT pin-compatible with the HDPlex 300. The 300 has a single cable and I wanted to use the shorter cable from the 250, so I got a little scared when I put everything together and nothing happened. Switched back to the 300 ATX cable and it posted fine.

The ASRock Z270 ITX Gaming motherboard has been out of stock for over a month now so I said screw it and got the normal ASRock Z270 ITX, which actually has more USB ports, has the M.2 drive on the top side, lower profile heatsinks for the chipset/VRMs, and is a great value at $120 compared to all the various "Gaming" brands from ASRock and others.

I used Aviator snips to sheer the ridges from the 120mm fan bracket, so that I could use the Cryorig 140mm fan and it would lie flush. It fits absolutely perfect, and the rubber grommets on the other side of the fan rest on top of the ram heatsinks, so no vibration at all.

The heatsink is a two-heatpipe, very low profile Thermaltake: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106152

Using it with the fan gets decent cooling performance at inaudible decibels, even two feet from my head. I'm running it at a fixed RPM.

The CPU I'm using is the 7700k Kaby Lake. What I actually did it slightly underclocked it (it usually runs 4.2ghz with 4.4 boost, but I clocked it to 4.0ghz and undervolted it all the way down to 1.08v (motherboard won't let me go lower). According to HWMonitor, this took the wattage while running Prime95 from 90 watts max while stock, all the way down to 50 watts max while running my configuration. I'm very pleased with this as now I have 55% less wattage for the cooling and less PSU to deal with, with just 4 to 9% less CPU speed.

The only thing making noise in the rig now is the Zotac 1080 Mini and *jeez* is it loud by my standards. The 100mm fan's lowest speed (37% fan speed) is an annoying low hum, and there's no way to hack it to make it quieter. If I tape the fan in place, the thermals hardly rise during benchmarking, but the card becomes near-silent because the 90mm fan is apparently plenty. Great heatsink design I guess! If anything, I'd consider using an adapter to run the 100mm fan off the motherboard so I could get the RPM lower than the minimum.

On the other hand, this 1080 also has pretty bad coil whine. Using Rivatuner to cap the frame limit to 75fps (to match my monitor) reigned it in somewhat, but more intensive games will still really make this card squeal. Googling anecdotes about Zotac suggests they have more coil whine issues than other brands, maybe they just use cheaper inductors. Or maybe the others are fine and I got a dud.

Word of warning, pay special attention if using the S4 Mini with VR. I snagged the headset cable and tipped the case over with a slam. To it's credit, no damage to the case or any components. Wireless VR can't come fast enough...

well, I did it.
Transplant mostly successful, though for some reason I don't think the 1060 is working? I need to poke around more.
Computer is working fine, the 1060 just isn't showing up in device manager, maybe something in the bios changed during the transplant.

Also worth noting, that RGB E-switch vandal switch I got works as a single color if you just wire the r, g, or b and a ground. I've got it wired to R right now and it's got a nice red glow. :)
Nice setup! Have you guys considered starting build threads? Or posted your PC partpicket lists in your sig? Id like to see your threads or your parts/parts list in your sig to more easily recognize everyone's rigs. There;s so many of us now... I can only imagine how Josh or any of us can keep track of each other's rigs.

If either of you have a 7700k in the S4, how's it running temp-wise? And have you delidded it?

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Y'know, I totally meant to start a build thread but after getting my power button soldered I was too excited to do anything but build haha
I'll start one soonish.
I'm using a 3570K for now, I'll post more details in the thread once I get it up.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
General question: are there any S4 builds that use a 250mm+ riser cable to flip the GPU so that its fan faces the same direction as the CPU heatsink and fan?

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm hoping to have funds in March to go all in on a dedicated S4 mini build. I see there is the option for that nice silver brushed finish this time. Is the 5mm wraparound bezel always gonna be a complementary color whether you choose silver or black, like in your shop page's photos? Or will it be possible to also order silver along with the wraparound being silver too?

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
General question: are there any S4 builds that use a 250mm+ riser cable to flip the GPU so that its fan faces the same direction as the CPU heatsink and fan?

I'd be interested in this as well.

Wouldn't necessarily be a hard mod, but would be an easy to implement option.

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
I dont think the GPU mounting bracket can be reversed on an S4 mini. (Maybe a new feature Josh could implement into the next batch of S4 mini's?) even though it kinda intersects with the S3 design philosophy.

It'd be quite easy to mod ( and even easier to add as an option from the get go as well ).

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm hoping to have funds in March to go all in on a dedicated S4 mini build. I see there is the option for that nice silver brushed finish this time. Is the 5mm wraparound bezel always gonna be a complementary color whether you choose silver or black, like in your shop page's photos? Or will it be possible to also order silver along with the wraparound being silver too?

Haven't decided yet. It was expensive and complicated for me to run both (the options now are all silver or all black) and I have gotten the most requests for silver with black bezel. I'd like to reduce complexity if possible.

Reactions: K888D and CC Ricers

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017

That's what the S3 Mini was, but Josh can say if he plans to bring back that style.

My dream case would be a flipped GPU, with the dimensions done so that the GPU chip is exactly the same height as CPU height. Then someone could make a single huge, low profile heatsink that spans across both of them, and use two 140mm fans like my current build does.

Yeah, you'd need to have the custom heatsink produced, but twin 140mm with a heatsink that big would let you cool a GTX 1080 and a 100watts+ overclocked CPU at very low decibels.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

Cohesive Reality

Efficiency Noob
Feb 19, 2017
Hello everyone! Just read thru all 100 pages and just wanted to drop a line saying thank you to all the awesome people on here. I'm new to SFF and I feel super confident going into this adventure that there is a great group of people to come to for help and bounce ideas off of. I cant wait to get an S4 mini and join in the fun with all of you!

Last edited:

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
If you are going to have a heatsink made you can just flip the PCIE key on the S4 MINI and do the same. Peace!

What about making a short flexible PCIE riser, and using vias to flip the GPU PCIE end backwards? Then the GPU could be installed upright with the motherboard, but the GPU I/O ports would be on the opposite side of the case as the motherboard I/O?

It would look weird but in effect it would let you have it be face up without needing a super long riser. Apparently, one exists but I can't find evidence of anyone actually using it (probably because there's no case to take advantage of it). But check out how the traces are flipped:

Just a thought if you try a flip-GPU model again. Not having to run a ribbon cable across the whole underside of the GPU would solve some other design issues too.

Or, if people wanted to stick with the longer ribbon cable style, maybe mount the PCIE slot on a plate with some screws, so that people can flip it one way or the other without having to make two different cases.

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
It would look weird but in effect it would let you have it be face up without needing a super long riser. Apparently, one exists but I can't find evidence of anyone actually using it (probably because there's no case to take advantage of it). But check out how the traces are flipped:

Just a thought if you try a flip-GPU model again. Not having to run a ribbon cable across the whole underside of the GPU would solve some other design issues too.

Oh man, that's a great find - was just looking for something like that (ideally as a short ribbon or a double L so that I could have a setup w/ the motherboard backplane mounted facing the GPU backplane... Sadly, looks like the 16X model you showed is listed as discontinued: http://www.adexelec.com/extenders.htm

Reactions: Ceros_X

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
What do you guys think about this kind of no-brick build?

- i7-7700T 35W
- low profile 1050TI
- hdplex direct plug 160W DC-ATX
- hdplex 19V internal AC-DC 160W
- (custom hole and screw holes for IEC C-13 made on demand by NFC himself?)

Isn't anybody else super excited by how much we can accomplish nowadays while still staying within the 160W limit? We're so close to doing 7700T + 1060 it hurts...next gen maybe...also imagine if there was a place in the S4 to tuck in the 160W AC-DC while still being able to use a non-LP 1060/1070-class short gpu...

Honestly I think a lot of SFX/flexATX lovers are turned off by external power bricks and it's very exciting to see features trickle down to what it's possible within the 160W limit..

Reactions: cmyk78

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
Upon further research I just realized the upcoming (April/May) 300W internal AC-DC by HDPlex could fit the S4 with a short enough GPU (R9-sized i.e. ~155mm) woo-hoo!

Would be nice if NFC offered a "no brick edition" with everything in place (mounting holes and such) to use
- hdplex 300W DC-ATX
- hdplex 300W AC-DC (upcoming)
- IEC C13 power connector on the back

This way we could comfortably wait for a next gen ~120W 155mm GPU..

Also it may be the time to start thinking about a slightly taller S4plus that takes into account the DC-DC ongoing revolution in the SFF circles by offering a dedicated space for combos of direct input 24pin board + everyhing_else board + internal AC-DC brick (with good, deliberate contact with the chassis) without sacrificing GPU lenght. (even better, pushing GPU lenght to the "beast short card" class, imagine an S4plus that can take a short zotac gtx 1080 without modding required).

A bit taller, sligthly longer, and this kind of no-brick configuration could be a reality
- intel 35W or 65W i7
- beastly short card (let's say 180mm to be on the safe side)
- hdplex 300W ac-dc
- hdplex 160W picopsu-style direct input dc-atx
- kmpkt Dynamo "everythig else" dc-dc card
- nfc "S4plus"

TheWhiteWolves

Caliper Novice
Jul 28, 2016
Upon further research I just realized the upcoming (April/May) 300W internal AC-DC by HDPlex could fit the S4 with a short enough GPU (R9-sized i.e. ~155mm) woo-hoo!

Would be nice if NFC offered a "no brick edition" with everything in place (mounting holes and such) to use
- hdplex 300W DC-ATX
- hdplex 300W AC-DC (upcoming)
- IEC C13 power connector on the back

This way we could comfortably wait for a next gen ~120W 155mm GPU..

Also it may be the time to start thinking about a slightly taller S4plus that takes into account the DC-DC ongoing revolution in the SFF circles by offering a dedicated space for combos of direct input 24pin board + everyhing_else board + internal AC-DC brick (with good, deliberate contact with the chassis) without sacrificing GPU lenght. (even better, pushing GPU lenght to the "beast short card" class, imagine an S4plus that can take a short zotac gtx 1080 without modding required).

A bit taller, sligthly longer, and this kind of no-brick configuration could be a reality
- intel 35W or 65W i7
- beastly short card (let's say 180mm to be on the safe side)
- hdplex 300W ac-dc
- hdplex 160W picopsu-style direct input dc-atx
- kmpkt Dynamo "everythig else" dc-dc card
- nfc "S4plus"

Problem with having an S4Plus is that would require enough people to want to buy that specific one for Josh to even start designing it, atm he makes very little money on the S4 cases and alot of the time makes them at a loss.

Making a bigger one means, redesigning the original, more material during production, having to find enough interested people to buy a variant. All of that costs money out of his pocket.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
What about making a short flexible PCIE riser, and using vias to flip the GPU PCIE end backwards? Then the GPU could be installed upright with the motherboard, but the GPU I/O ports would be on the opposite side of the case as the motherboard I/O?

Or, if people wanted to stick with the longer ribbon cable style, maybe mount the PCIE slot on a plate with some screws, so that people can flip it one way or the other without having to make two different cases.
I thought about using something similar, but there was no flexible version on the market. Also your GPU ports would be facing the 'front' of the case and your MB ports the 'rear'. Not an insurmountable problem - I used a 50cm HDMI FPV cable
In my Deployment Box build to reroute my video (you could get an HDMI pass through panel mount) in the rear of the case but this is an expensive and clunky solution.

I've seen riser cables routed underneath the motherboard and the GPU put on the left side of the motherboard - this seems to be a better solution than the method discussing above. Only issue is possibly conflicting with m.2 drives mounted underneath the motherboard and super low standoffs (found in 1U / 2U motherboards).