Discussion Ryzen 5 3000 Manual Overclocking

ricsonc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
I have recently build a Ryzen system. I have fully dialed in the manual overclocks I want. However, whether or not PBO is enabled or disabled. My processor is not thermal throttling. What is the proper way to ensure

Relevant specs as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 4.125Ghz @ 1.2v core 1.15v SoC
MB: Gigabyte Aorus B550 Master
RAM: 4 sticks of 16GB RAM 3400 16 20 20 20 38 @ 1.35v
HSF: AXP 100 full copper

I can lower CPU voltages to 1.175v on core but my Cinebench score lowers, increasing to 1.25v does not improve score.
C-states are on in my BIOS. I also would prefer overclocking in BIOS over using Ryzen Master.

I did read that PROCHOT option is in Ryzen Master and have not tested if this solves my problem as using Ryzen Master is not my preferred mode of overclocking.

Here is what HWiNFO looks like. It shot up to 97C in P95 and thermal throttling did not occur. In Cinebench R20 I am able to maintain 70C average.
Ultimately my goal is to throttle in case I do accidentally run an AVX workload.

Last edited:

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
Running a manual OC with even a 65 W Ryzen 3000 part at a 1.2V Vcore in a small-ITX environment will shoot up your thermals in P95 to the 90-100 degree range instantly. Your CPU PPT looks like it shot up to 103+ Watts. A stock Ryzen 5 3600 has a max PPT of 88 W at full load, and thats the impact of running a fixed VCore at that frequency, because you remove the chip's ability to adjust the Vcore voltage depending on the temps.

ricsonc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
Running a manual OC with even a 65 W Ryzen 3000 part at a 1.2V Vcore in a small-ITX environment will shoot up your thermals in P95 to the 90-100 degree range instantly. Your CPU PPT looks like it shot up to 103+ Watts. A stock Ryzen 5 3600 has a max PPT of 88 W at full load, and thats the impact of running a fixed VCore at that frequency, because you remove the chip's ability to adjust the Vcore voltage depending on the temps.
From what I understand this means that thermal throttling is not possible under manual overclocking? The reason I manual overclocked in the first place is because if I keep everything stock I can see that there are voltage spikes to 1.4v even if I use voltage offset my motherboard does not seem to honor it and still spikes to 1.4v every so often in hwinfo.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
This data, says a bad CPU cooler mount, to me.

From what I understand this means that thermal throttling is not possible under manual overclocking? The reason I manual overclocked in the first place is because if I keep everything stock I can see that there are voltage spikes to 1.4v even if I use voltage offset my motherboard does not seem to honor it and still spikes to 1.4v every so often in hwinfo.
Voltage offset doesn't really accomplish much, especially compared to manually locking the clocks/volts--for single CCX Ryzens.

Voltage spikes to 1.4V aren't abnormal under Ryzen. They're designed for it....BUT...the boosting logic is designed for a worst-case bin of silicon, you really have to lose the silicon lottery to have a Ryzen that needs 1.4V to do 4.2gHz all core...which for an R5 with only one CCX, you get better results manually locking clocks/volts.

ricsonc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
This data, says a bad CPU cooler mount, to me.

Voltage offset doesn't really accomplish much, especially compared to manually locking the clocks/volts--for single CCX Ryzens.

Voltage spikes to 1.4V aren't abnormal under Ryzen. They're designed for it....BUT...the boosting logic is designed for a worst-case bin of silicon, you really have to lose the silicon lottery to have a Ryzen that needs 1.4V to do 4.2gHz all core...which for an R5 with only one CCX, you get better results manually locking clocks/volts.
I have remounted my cooler multiple times with same results. I am not thinking my thermal paste is bad. I am using Hydronaut. Guess I should find an alternative?

Regardless, my goal is to still thermal throttle at 90C with manual overclocking. Seems not possible I guess.

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
With that small cooler in a small case, then yes, you are going to hit 90+ degrees with a Ryzen 5 3600 when OCing, even at 1.2V.

Ryzen 3000 will run hot in an ITX-case where you are limited in the types of coolers you can use, even at stock.

ricsonc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
What I am trying to confirm is if there is a way to just throttle at 90c while on manual overclock.
I know it hits 90 and over whatever I do on an ITX case.
If I return to stock throttling will happen at 95c but I end up with unwanted 1.4v spikes.
I know it runs hot. I know I have no other cooler choices.

Hope it makes initial question clear.
What I am trying to confirm is if there is a way to just throttle at 90c while on manual overclock.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Mine was running even in full auto at 90C inside SM550 with Wraith Stealth. I guess these are normal. Especially when you factor that the heat is actually coming from only one half of the cap.

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
I know it hits 90 and over whatever I do on an ITX case.
If I return to stock throttling will happen at 95c but I end up with unwanted 1.4v spikes.
I know it runs hot. I know I have no other cooler choices.

Hope it makes initial question clear.
If you're manually OC'ing, the chip will not monitor temperatures. I'm not sure how else to answer this.

Its going to run at whatever frequency and voltage you set for it.

I will say even though AMD says that even running at 95 is considered "normal", I would not run a Ryzen CPU every day consistently at 90+ degrees.

ricsonc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
If you're manually OC'ing, the chip will not monitor temperatures. I'm not sure how else to answer this.
I see... Got it. I did not initially catch that this is what you meant. Thanks for clarifying :)

I will say even though AMD says that even running at 95 is considered "normal", I would not run a Ryzen CPU every day consistently at 90+ degrees.
Yeah I agree, but then even on stock I hit this temps then throttle and still see 1.4v spikes. I will keep my settings then and be more mindful