Discussion Auto undervolting with Ryzen Master (2.9.0.2093)

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
After reading that there was a new release of Ryzen Master this week, which allows for automatic undervolting from within Windows, I decided to give it a try yesterday.

My System

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge WiFi (BIOS 1.9/AGESA 1.2.0.6c)
Noctua NH-U9S
NCASE M1 v6

I have the U9S configured with a single fan as intake from the rear of the case with a Phanteks T30 120mm mounted on the side bracket opposite the PSU as exhaust. This has given me the best results after trying many configurations with both single and dual fans (attached to the U9S) set to both intake and exhaust.

The U9S simply doesn't provide enough cooling for the Ryzen 7 5800X, and while the undervolt doesn't change that, it does improve things.

Ryzen Master Curve Optimizer

The process for the undervolting isn't exactly one click, but it's pretty close.

You can download Ryzen Master from here: AMD Ryzen™ Master Utility for Overclocking Control | AMD

Installation is a simple next, next, finish affair. I don't remember if I was required to reboot after the installation, but I did anyway.

I opened Ryzen Master from the desktop shortcut and agreed to the warning.

I then selected Control Mode as Default and Curve Optimizer Mode as All Cores and clicked "Start Optimizing"

The process took around 43 minutes, and although it warned that reboots would occur, I didn't have any during the process. I did need to reboot afterwards before finally applying the optimized profile.

The default test duration is 30 seconds, but you can change this from the Settings button at the bottom.

The Per Core option took a little over an hour using the same 30 second test duration, but tests each core.

In my testing both "All Cores" and "Per Core" yielded the same -30 setting for each core.

I was a little concerned about the fairly short test duration, so I increased the test duration to 240 seconds, and ran the Per Core optimization again over night. It yielded the same -30 setting for each core.

Before and After Results

I used Cinebench R23 - 10 minute Multi Core and HWiNFO to test before and after. I reset the HWiNFO Stats 1 minute into the benchmark, and then took a screenshot 9 minutes later (with Cinebench still running - My 10 minute test takes about 10 min 30 seconds to complete the 12th pass before it ends).

The stock and undervolted results below are both averages of two runs.

Stock settings resulted in a score of 13945 with an average core clock of 4066MHz.

Undervolted settings increased to 14880 with an average core clock of 4328MHz.

In addition to the Cinebench runs, I have also run the AIDA64 Stress test with CPU, FPU, and cache options selected for over 30 minutes and everything seems stable. I'll be playing some games later today, and running longer duration stress tests to check the stability further.

While I do need to upgrade my U9S CPU Cooler to a 240mm AIO at some point, I'm snowed under with work at the moment, and I can't do the installation, and all the tweaking I would want to right now. When I do get around to it, I'll probably run this again with the Auto OC option and see what results I get then.

For now, an extra 6-7% performance for very little effort seems pretty good, and my CPU idle temps are down around 5-10 degrees C.

I'd be interested to see what results others get from doing this. Post them here!

Here's an image of the HWiNFO from each of the four 9 minute runs of Cinebench R23:

Last edited:

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Apr 8, 2022
interesting, i couldnt run the mod through Ryzen Master as it shut down during the tests for cinebench at around 85degs. I ended up setting the neg PBO curve around 20 and 27 resulted in it crashing mid game etc. I like the fact you are using a M1, i was wondering what i could build smaller than my NR200.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
interesting, i couldnt run the mod through Ryzen Master as it shut down during the tests for cinebench at around 85degs. I ended up setting the neg PBO curve around 20 and 27 resulted in it crashing mid game etc. I like the fact you are using a M1, i was wondering what i could build smaller than my NR200.

I think a lot of this comes down to being lucky with the particular CPU you have. Mine is from late 2021, and I may have got lucky with one that can undervolt well.

I do feel like I may run into stability problems once I change to an AIO and hopefully remove the thermal limits I'm currently running into. I'll be running the optimization again when I do.

I built a system for a friend last year and used the NR200, and I was very impressed with it. Unfortunately the NCASE M1 has been discontinued, but if you do want a smaller case then have a look at the new FormD T1 v2 (Production - FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST) | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net)). That's just under 10L, which is even smaller than the M1, and look like a great option. I'm thinking of getting one myself, once availability gets a bit better.

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Apr 8, 2022
I think a lot of this comes down to being lucky with the particular CPU you have. Mine is from late 2021, and I may have got lucky with one that can undervolt well.

I do feel like I may run into stability problems once I change to an AIO and hopefully remove the thermal limits I'm currently running into. I'll be running the optimization again when I do.

I built a system for a friend last year and used the NR200, and I was very impressed with it. Unfortunately the NCASE M1 has been discontinued, but if you do want a smaller case then have a look at the new FormD T1 v2 (Production - FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST) | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net)). That's just under 10L, which is even smaller than the M1, and look like a great option. I'm thinking of getting one myself, once availability gets a bit better.
i was also thinking of the meshilicious, but to be honest im a bit standoffish as it only has the ability to have intakes being the AIO and there is no fan ability anywhere else. Same goes for most of these smaller cases. I know with my NR200 i have 2x 120's on the top and the bottom and the 280mm RAD on the side and that machine with the PBO neg curve still struggles to stay under 80 degrees. I just feel like it would be worse depending on the amount of active cooling. I've never done my own water cooling before, so really afraid of how badly i could stuff it up