Benchmarking & Overclocking - Questions, etc.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
So I didn't see another thread on overclocking so I decided to make my own. Hopefully, I'm putting it in the right place.

Anyways, I'm having some weird things happening to me while benchmarking and attempting to OC which I'll explain below:

Firstly, I can't seem to change any of my OC settings in my BIOS, I press enter on the correct option (like baseclock) but nothing happens. My mobo also says that the Bclk is set to 100 but I only see 96-97 in CPU-Z. It also fails to boot if I enable XMP (my Ram is on the compatibility list) so I'm gonna try updating the BIOS to the latest version since I finally noticed that it's not beta anymore (it was in beta for a looong time)

I'll report back in once I get to do that but I wondered if anyone had ever had that happen to them?

And while I'm here, am I the only one who noticed that I get lower scores in benchmarks after each run or once my computer has been on for a bit? THis happened in XTU, Cinebench R15 and Geekbench3 specifically

Also, in XTU I happened to just run it again with a ton of background tasks and stuff running and that was the run that gave me the best score. Seems odd to me, anyone have any thoughts or experience on the best time to run benchmarks and such in regards to PC on time?

Any thought appreciated, thanks!

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
So I didn't see another thread on overclocking so I decided to make my own. Hopefully, I'm putting it in the right place.

Anyways, I'm having some weird things happening to me while benchmarking and attempting to OC which I'll explain below:

Firstly, I can't seem to change any of my OC settings in my BIOS, I press enter on the correct option (like baseclock) but nothing happens. My mobo also says that the Bclk is set to 100 but I only see 96-97 in CPU-Z. It also fails to boot if I enable XMP (my Ram is on the compatibility list) so I'm gonna try updating the BIOS to the latest version since I finally noticed that it's not beta anymore (it was in beta for a looong time)

I'll report back in once I get to do that but I wondered if anyone had ever had that happen to them?

And while I'm here, am I the only one who noticed that I get lower scores in benchmarks after each run or once my computer has been on for a bit? THis happened in XTU, Cinebench R15 and Geekbench3 specifically

Also, in XTU I happened to just run it again with a ton of background tasks and stuff running and that was the run that gave me the best score. Seems odd to me, anyone have any thoughts or experience on the best time to run benchmarks and such in regards to PC on time?

Any thought appreciated, thanks!
I run firestrike but not so much on the cpu benchmarks. It is pretty consistent to me actually. MY score may change but not by much at all. Now for overclocking i usually follow what the manufacturers auto-overclock. Then i start messing with voltage until it is just right. usually you can adjust the multiplier instead of the base clock.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Usually you can adjust the multiplier instead of the base clock.

Usually yes but on my current mobo/bios combination literally the only thing I can change is the pre-made OC profile but none of the parameters :/ I'm pretty certain its just a bios issue in my case so hopefully updating will fix that.

Thanks for the rest of you comments too though, I'll probably run a few rounds of firestrike as well before I update to see if I still get the fairly significant variances or if it seems mainly related to the CPU benchmarks.

Thx!