RTX 3070 Options

londiste

Chassis Packer
Nov 22, 2019
Got a 3070FE. This really does not work well in A4. I suspect it has to do with the blowthrough hole being against flat of the case and sides of FE are mostly blocked so air has nowhere to go.

Turning PSU over sounds suspicious. I am not very willing to pump large amounts of heat through the PSU.

I am yet to try if the card itself works well I should probably pull it out of the case to test. But 1800rpm in TPU review is not what I am seeing in A4 - to keep its target 80C temperature fans will run at 3000-3200 rpm and that is... loud.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Did you remove the plastic sheet behind the gpu and tested the stand off trick?

londiste

Chassis Packer
Nov 22, 2019
Pulled the GPU out of case and it runs its fans at 2000 rpm in the worst case scenario, so yeah, 3000-series FEs really do not like their backside blocked.

Considering the air 3070FE pushes out, I really do not want to remove the plastic sheet. Or turn the PSU around.
What do you mean by stand off trick?

Edit:
For now, I do not have the case sides on which helps a lot with airflow and temperatures.

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
How to improve temps without flipping the PSU;

1) Install a 92x92x25 fan under the GPU blowing inside the case

2) Remove the A4-SFX plastic sheet behind the GPU you only need it on cards without a back plate.

3) Stand off trick:

The case does come with 4x 5mm stand offs.
1) Remove the GPU
2) Unscrew the riser on GPU postion
3) Install 2x5mm stand offs on top of the existing riser stand offs.
4) reinstall riser
5) Reinstal GPU (yes it is not longer perfectly aligned with the back holes)
6) Temps are much better

Now your temps will be very close to optimum.

Regards
Daniel

londiste

Chassis Packer
Nov 22, 2019
2) Remove the A4-SFX plastic sheet behind the GPU you only need it on cards without a back plate.
That is something I am wary of. Having tried that previously that plastic does seem to act as an insulator to some degree and that was without hot air blowing through cutout in the card like 3070FE does. PSU ran somewhat hotter without the plastic (not much but enough to not stop the fan when idle) and CPU heated up a bit. More concerning, the M.2 SSD at the back of the motherboard got a sizeable temperature increase and it is toasty already.

I will try the fan under PSU - have to clean up cables first - and the standoffs. Hopefully that'll work well enough. Thanks for the tips.

Edit:
Added standoffs. It is a really snug fit and the top DP port was already very tight and now basically is not normally usable. Fortunately, that is no biggie for me. Those few mm make a big difference, even without added case fan. 20 min of Furmark resulted on 77C and 2400rpm which is OK considering the circumstances. Hopefully case fan will give some further improvement once I get that in place.

For reference, card outside the box (but hanging on the port so blowing air into case) was doing 74C and 2000rpm. Card just added to the case with backside blocked did 80C and 3200rpm. Room temperature 25-26C.

Last edited:

Irbaboon

Efficiency Noob
Nov 26, 2019
Well just wanted to share I bought a Zotac 3070 Twin Edge and have decided to return it. First, the card is unbelievably loud inside the Dan A4v1 case (and apparently loud in general). I was getting 68dB 12" from the case at 80% fan speed. Second, it runs hot, really hot compared to my previous 1080ti, it would hover around 79-80c under gaming conditions. Tried adjusting the fan curve and also undervolting a bit but the gains weren't that significant. In the end, it meant having to fight to make something I wasn't pleased with work so I'm returning it. Here are some pictures of how it fit in the Dan A4, hard to tell but the left fan sits up and to the left of where the mesh ends on the side panel (perhaps a factor in it's heat issues):

gamecrusader

Chassis Packer
Sep 27, 2020
Well just wanted to share I bought a Zotac 3070 Twin Edge and have decided to return it. First, the card is unbelievably loud inside the Dan A4v1 case (and apparently loud in general). I was getting 68dB 12" from the case at 80% fan speed. Second, it runs hot, really hot compared to my previous 1080ti, it would hover around 79-80c under gaming conditions. Tried adjusting the fan curve and also undervolting a bit but the gains weren't that significant. In the end, it meant having to fight to make something I wasn't pleased with work so I'm returning it. Here are some pictures of how it fit in the Dan A4, hard to tell but the left fan sits up and to the left of where the mesh ends on the side panel (perhaps a factor in it's heat issues):

I have a Zotac 3070 Twin Edge in my A4 as well and I do notice it is a little noisy under load (not so much that I'm ready to pull it out).

That said, what would you be replacing it with (options are limited AND then there is the challenge of even finding another card)?

Irbaboon

Efficiency Noob
Nov 26, 2019
I have a Zotac 3070 Twin Edge in my A4 as well and I do notice it is a little noisy under load (not so much that I'm ready to pull it out).

That said, what would you be replacing it with (options are limited AND then there is the challenge of even finding another card)?
A well, funny story, I thought my ASUS 1080ti Turbo had died on me. It couldn't run games and was flickering on video playback, I was convinced it was the culprit because it happened after I was doing some OC tests on it... After two months of stock checker Discords I was able to snag the 3070 and still had the same problem! Turned out it was the HDMI cable... 🤦‍♂️

So yea, 1080ti still running strong and much more quietly. Don't expect to look for a replacement until 2024 at least lol

The consolation prize was snagging a 5600X at MSRP too :)

Reactions: gamecrusader

londiste

Chassis Packer
Nov 22, 2019
@dondan, what is the idea behind removing the plastic sheet?
my experience so far is that it acts as a bit of a thermal insulator, especially with 30x0fe.
without it case, psu and also cpu get some temp increase.

Topnotch

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 19, 2022
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3070No
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3070 OCNo
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3070No
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3070 OCNo
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070No
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 OCNo
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Eagle 8GYes
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Eagle OC 8GYes
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GNo
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8GNo
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3070 Master 8GNo
Manli GeForce RTX 3070No
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming TrioNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X TrioNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 2XNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 2X OCNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 3XNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OCNo
Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 FEYes
Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GamingProNo
Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GamingPro OCNo
Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GameRockNo
Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GameRock OCNo
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin EdgeYes
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OCYes
Gainward GeForce RTX 3070 PhoenixNo
Gainward GeForce RTX 3070 Phoenix GSNo
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3070 iCHILL X3No
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3070 iCHILL X4No
Sorry for responding on this a year later :)

For 3 years i'm not a happy owner a Dan A4 v2 :D , so far used a MSI Aero GTX 1060, but looking for an upgrade, in order to game 1440p @ 144 fps.
The 3070 Eagle seems te best choice for in my setup (Silverstone 450w, so only 8 + 6 pins PSU available).
However it's quite hard to find a used one for decent price without it being used for mining.
Every now and then I bump into an EVGA XC3 Ultra or Black or Gaming.. but i'm wondering if it will fit as is?

From what i could find on the EVGA website it's 2.2 slot.. it's not in above list.. but i did found the 3080 list, posted by dondan.. from that i got the impression it will only fit without backplate... is it fair to assume same applies to 3070 XC3?
Not really a fan of removing the backplate myself, so wondering if anyone knows if it will also fit as is ?
Cheers!

definelicht

Caliper Novice
Sep 24, 2020
Sorry for responding on this a year later :)

For 3 years i'm not a happy owner a Dan A4 v2 :D , so far used a MSI Aero GTX 1060, but looking for an upgrade, in order to game 1440p @ 144 fps.
The 3070 Eagle seems te best choice for in my setup (Silverstone 450w, so only 8 + 6 pins PSU available).
However it's quite hard to find a used one for decent price without it being used for mining.
Every now and then I bump into an EVGA XC3 Ultra or Black or Gaming.. but i'm wondering if it will fit as is?

From what i could find on the EVGA website it's 2.2 slot.. it's not in above list.. but i did found the 3080 list, posted by dondan.. from that i got the impression it will only fit without backplate... is it fair to assume same applies to 3070 XC3?
Not really a fan of removing the backplate myself, so wondering if anyone knows if it will also fit as is ?
Cheers!
The answer is "no, but yes", if you Google around a bit you'll find people who made it work. Apparently you put some felt pads on the front of the GPU to prevent it from scraping against the side panel, and that makes it technically possible :-)

Reactions: Topnotch