RTX 3070 Options

word

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jun 13, 2020
Trying to figure out what options will work in the A4 with the 3070.

It looks like both ZOTAC and Gigabyte have options that are 41mm wide.

Anyone know if other makers have something that will fit?

I'm hoping the cooling situation for the 3070 is a little more straightforward in the A4 than the 3080 :D

gamecrusader

Chassis Packer
Sep 27, 2020
I was looking at this myself today.

First off, we now know the 3070 FE is using the same cooling method as it's bigger bothers (it was thought this not to be the case originally). Someone has installed a 3080 FE and it sounds like the cooling/noise isn't horrible, but maybe not ideal.

It's already been confirmed that the EVGA 3080 XC3 Black w/ no backplate fits inside the A4. Assuming that the 3070 will be the same size, it should also be a viable option.

A few others I have been looking at that seem to also fit, two of which you also ran across.
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 EAGLE 8G (GV-N3070EAGLE-8GD)

MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X

ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge (ZT-A30700E-10P)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3070No
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3070 OCNo
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3070No
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3070 OCNo
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070No
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 OCNo
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Eagle 8GYes
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Eagle OC 8GYes
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GNo
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8GNo
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3070 Master 8GNo
Manli GeForce RTX 3070No
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming TrioNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X TrioNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 2XNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 2X OCNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 3XNo
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OCNo
Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 FEYes
Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GamingProNo
Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GamingPro OCNo
Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GameRockNo
Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GameRock OCNo
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin EdgeYes
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OCYes
Gainward GeForce RTX 3070 PhoenixNo
Gainward GeForce RTX 3070 Phoenix GSNo
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3070 iCHILL X3No
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3070 iCHILL X4No

word

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jun 13, 2020
Thanks Dan. Unfortunately, couldn't get the ZOTAC or Gigabyte this morning.

Ended up getting a Ventus 2X, disappointed that doesn't seem to fit! Guess I'll have to start the search for one of the others.

Reactions: condelio

echodriver

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2020
The 3070 reviews seem to suggest the card runs slightly cooler so I'd wager probably not, if your'e air cooling the CPU

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Does anyone know the PCB length for Zotac 3070 Twin Edge or similar cards?

Jovogdiar

Caliper Novice
Apr 29, 2018
I just want to put out there that I once bought a Zotac Steam Machine. I needed a BIOS update to support current versions of Linux so I emailed them. Their response was that "There's no updates made to this old product which had EOL for years." The computer had been released 14 months earlier.

If you look at online reports of their customer service, they are terrible. They won't service their own products.

Avoid Zotac.

Reactions: conmanique

flyers25

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 7, 2020
I just wanted to chime in and confirm what others have found that the EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 XC3 BLACK GAMING (08G-P5-3751-KR) card barely fits into the Dan A4 Case. This is the version that does not have a backplate.

In my v4.1 case (silver riser cable) the fans barely touch the outside of the case with the card in the default position.

I was able to work around this by using a small cable tie to pull the card closer to the center of the case (note: only do this if the protective plastic shield is still in the case, otherwise the back of the card will come in contact with the metal cas).

I snuck the cable tie between the power supply and the power supply bracket and wrapped it wround the power cable connected to the video card. There might be a better way to do this, but this was quick and works well.

Unless you modify the pcie bracket on the video card the screw holes on the back will not line up. I just wrapped a cable tie around the pcie bracket to hold it in place. This keeps the back end of the card from shifting in either direction. The little metal bracket that sits above the pcie bracket (part of the DAN Case) provides additional support. The card isn't going anywhere.

Some pics:

flyers25

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 7, 2020
@flyers25 how are your temps?

Temps are good so far. I ran the FurMark stress test for a few hours and the temperature peaked at 67C. While playing Forza Horizon 4 the temperature hovered around 60C. This was with an ambient temp of 22C.

The fans shut off at idle. Under load they are quiet, but audible.

Stebster

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 13, 2020
I was able to work around this by using a small cable tie to pull the card closer to the centre of the case .

Thank you for the pictures and the information ?

I have a Dan A4 V4.1 and I am currently (nervously and not so patiently) awaiting an EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Black which I pre-ordered on release day.

I was wondering if you/I could potentially unscrew the PCIe riser cable at the GPU side and gain a few mm by removing the 5mm spacers... perhaps replace them with washers so the gap is a few mm smaller... which you'll gain on the other side where the fan is touching the side? Maybe it would mean the HDMI socket would be partially covered by case though?

flyers25

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 7, 2020
Thank you for the pictures and the information ?

I have a Dan A4 V4.1 and I am currently (nervously and not so patiently) awaiting an EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Black which I pre-ordered on release day.

I was wondering if you/I could potentially unscrew the PCIe riser cable at the GPU side and gain a few mm by removing the 5mm spacers... perhaps replace them with washers so the gap is a few mm smaller... which you'll gain on the other side where the fan is touching the side? Maybe it would mean the HDMI socket would be partially covered by case though?

I was prepared to reposition the GPU riser as you suggest, but never did it because it didn’t seem to be necessary.

I think you are correct that with this card (EVGA 3070 Black) moving the GPU riser will make it difficult/impossible to plug in a HDMI cable. The port is right on the edge of the bracket and shifting it towards the center of the case will likely put some of the connector behind the metal case.

tmuy3000

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2020
Hey all! I recently purchased ASUS DUAL NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming Graphics Card. On micro center site, it states that this card is dual slot, but after reading Dan's comment it seems that this won't fit? Do you think I should attempt or should I return it and try to look for a Zotac/gigabyte/FE 3070 card. Thanks for any insight!

tmuy3000

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2020
After further research, Newegg has this ASUS DUAL NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 card as a 2.7 Slot. If this is true then I guess it is not worth even attempting to fit it in the case :/

definelicht

Caliper Novice
Sep 24, 2020
Hey all! I recently purchased ASUS DUAL NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming Graphics Card. On micro center site, it states that this card is dual slot, but after reading Dan's comment it seems that this won't fit? Do you think I should attempt or should I return it and try to look for a Zotac/gigabyte/FE 3070 card. Thanks for any insight!

It will definitely not fit with the side panel on :-) you need the 3070 Gigabyte Eagle or Zotac Twin Edge or FE

tmuy3000

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2020
It will definitely not fit with the side panel on :-) you need the 3070 Gigabyte Eagle or Zotac Twin Edge or FE
Yeah :/. I was originally going to try to take the backplate off the gpu but I'll just return the gpu and be patient. Eventually, I'll get the card I need.

condelio

Case Bender
New User
Mar 25, 2019
Thanks Dan. Unfortunately, couldn't get the ZOTAC or Gigabyte this morning.

Ended up getting a Ventus 2X, disappointed that doesn't seem to fit! Guess I'll have to start the search for one of the others.
Could you install it removing the plastic cover? Don Dan says it doesn't Fit but idk why, or if i can do something to make it work. Why? Availability, ofc

literal

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 29, 2020
So, in TechPowerUp reviews I see that the 3070 FE is 30dB under load, the Gigabyte Eagle is 32db, and the Zotac is 35dB. If I care about noise, should I get the founder's edition card? Does its unconventional fan configuration work well in the Dan A4 case?