RTX 3060Ti Aero alternative? Meet the DIY PALIT StormX 3060Ti ITX Edition

slowboytommy

Efficiency Noob
Mar 31, 2022
Hey @ChinStrap : Could you please advise if it was the one below:

Images on Reddit:
  1. What were the final dimensions after the mod?
Any issues/concerns in usage?

I'm just about to buy this one once I hear back from you :) really excited.
Late reply but yes. I have the same card. I have not measured it, but it should be same dimensions as the Palit Non-Ti 3060 where the heatsink was from.

Another widely available card that might work is the PNY 3060Ti XLR8. It's not confirmed here, but the PCB look promising.

Reactions: nerdbit

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
FWIW, I did some research a while back which 3060 Ti cards are compatible with the StormX Heatsink:

- PNY XLR8
- Inno3D Twin X2
- KFA2 non-EX
- Palit Dual
- Gainward Ghost
- Manli
- Dell OEM
- Lenovo OEM
- Any RTX A4000 (PNY, Dell, Lenovo, HP)

I'm pretty sure there's even more. So feel free to add any from your experience.

Concerning the Fan-shroud for the StormX Heatsink: I've been working on a universal shroud that replaces the stock one and lets you attach two fans while still keeping the overall length <175mm. I printed two prototypes yesterday (2x80 and 92/80) and will hopefully have some time over the weekend to test. I'll keep you guys posted. If it works, I'll share the files so you can print them yourself if you want.

Last edited:

nerdbit

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2021
www.nerdbit.nz
Late reply but yes. I have the same card. I have not measured it, but it should be same dimensions as the Palit Non-Ti 3060 where the heatsink was from.

Another widely available card that might work is the PNY 3060Ti XLR8. It's not confirmed here, but the PCB look promising.
So, the DELL OEM 3060 ti should work with the coolers from Ali? Do I understand that correctly? 😀

nerdbit

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2021
www.nerdbit.nz
FWIW, I did some research a while back which cards are compatible with the StormX Heatsink:

- PNY XLR8
- Inno3D Twin X2
- KFA2 non-EX
- Palit Dual
- Gainward Ghost
- Manli
- Dell OEM
- Lenovo OEM
- Any RTX A4000 (PNY, Dell, Lenovo, HP)

I'm pretty sure there's even more. So feel free to add any from your experience.

Concerning the Fan-shroud for the StormX Heatsink: I've been working on a universal shroud that replaces the stock one and lets you attach two fans while still keeping the overall length <175mm. I printed two prototypes yesterday (2x80 and 92/80) and will hopefully have some time over the weekend to test. I'll keep you guys posted. If it works, I'll share the files so you can print them yourself if you want.
Wow! That is incredible, I'm lovin 🤓 this community now that I've finally officially joined it. I was intending to create a comprehensive list same as yours. So, would be great if we got this post pinned at some stage as makes it super easy for newcomers.

I like the idea of the universal shroud, as it does add another alternative to the StormX Heatsink currently available on Ali, but it also might soon run out and be out of stock forever. In the long run, a solution like this would be a lifesaver! Hence, thanks in advance, and good luck with the prototypes.

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
I like the idea of the universal shroud, as it does add another alternative to the StormX Heatsink currently available on Ali, but it also might soon run out and be out of stock forever. In the long run, a solution like this would be a lifesaver! Hence, thanks in advance, and good luck with the prototypes.
Thanks! Just to be clear: You will still need the StormX heatsink. I'll just replace the single fan shroud with a bracket to attach two fans of your choice and direct airflow onto the heatsink. It will almost certainly increase the thickness of the card though.

Reactions: nerdbit

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Sorry for the late reply: I bought my cooler off ebay, not Ali. It was listed as a “PNY/OEM Heatsink w/ Fan for 3060/3060TI”. My research was not professional level, I just used the stare and compare method. Things looked like they would line up, and the PCB shots I was able to find from the Dell confirmed it looked OEM. I took a shot and it worked out. Previous to the Dell, I was looking at the Zotac, as others here have used that model.

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
It's alive! World's smallest dual fan 3060 Ti ;-)

Using the Palit StormX Heatsink, a custom 3d printed shroud and two Akasa 80mm Slim fans.

Running the first tests and results look really promising:
Furmark (200W load, 15 minutes)
100% Fan speed: 67°C GPU / 79°C Hotspot
50% Fan speed: 79°C GPU / 92°C Hotspot
Stock fan curve peaks at ~75°C

I did repaste the GPU with Arctic MX-6 which also made the temps drop a good bit for sure.

Generally much lower noise level. However the card is a good 8mm thicker than with the stock shroud which may cause issues depending on the case. Interestingly, the shroud with 92/80mm fans performs slightly worse at a similar noise level.

I'll run some more tests and need to make some slight adjustments to the shroud, then I'll share the files so you guys can print it if you want.

Last edited:

JModding

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 6, 2022
Guys do you think I can preform this mod on the "Asus RTX 3060Ti Dual Mini" It looks to have the same shape as the palit, but i can't find any detailed pcb photos of it. Also would it even be worth doing if it is possible? I'd like to do this to try and make it a bit smaller but I have no idea if this is going to make the thermals go down or just increase them. This is all hypothetical right now, but if it is possible without any negatives then I might try it.

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Guys do you think I can preform this mod on the "Asus RTX 3060Ti Dual Mini" It looks to have the same shape as the palit, but i can't find any detailed pcb photos of it. Also would it even be worth doing if it is possible? I'd like to do this to try and make it a bit smaller but I have no idea if this is going to make the thermals go down or just increase them. This is all hypothetical right now, but if it is possible without any negatives then I might try it.

it will definitely fit. it's been done before, even with the 3070 that's on the same pcb. if you end up doing it, i'd definitely buy that heatsink from you.

Reactions: rfarmer

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
it will definitely fit. it's been done before, even with the 3070 that's on the same pcb. if you end up doing it, i'd definitely buy that heatsink from you.
That' not correct afaik.

The 3070 you're talking about is (the very rare) Asus 3070 Dual SI Edition. It uses the same PCB as the Asus 3060 Phoenix. However, this is NOT the reference PCB which the Palit Heatsink is made for. I highly doubt it will fit without any modifications.

I'm not sure about the Asus 3060Ti Dual Mini. It looks like it might work, but I don't know of any Asus GPU that uses a reference design. So it could very well be a similar sized PCB with a different layout, like the one from the 3070 Dual SI or the 3060 Phoenix. If you want to know for sure, you will have to try.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

FoxTrotl_Alpha

Trash Compacter
Aug 11, 2018
I am researching itx modding gpus as im about to buy one soon, but I cant seem to decide for various reasons.
The Asus Dual SI / Phoenix mod depends if one can find a 3060 broken.
For some reason, you cant get a heatsink only, anywhere. Tho I found a ton of MSI, Zotac, even EVGA coolers.

Was thinking about the RTX A4000 mod, as its the easiest, but the A4000 aint cheap to begin with and I dont trust the used market as they may have been used for mining.

Only other thing ive found is that a certain Zotac 3070ti has a very similar, if not the same pcb design, as the 3070 Twin edge.
And ive found twin edge heatsinks on Ali so that might work.

However, I am stupid and want my gpu to "fit just right" so to speak, i hate when there is room available and i didnt fill it out :D

If anyone knows a case that can barely fit the 3070 twin edge, im all for it.

Otherwise, I might just wait for the 4060/ti or 4070 but thats a while away. Dont really want to wait that long.

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
If anyone knows a case that can barely fit the 3070 twin edge, im all for it.

Otherwise, I might just wait for the 4060/ti or 4070 but thats a while away. Dont really want to wait that long.
You could try the Densium 4+. The Zotac Card is 10mm too long on paper, but you might be able to shave them off by getting rid of the backplate and deshrouding the card. Worst case, you need to cut the fins on the upper side of the heatsink. I'm almost 100% sure you can make it fit... with some dedication ;)

Last edited:

FoxTrotl_Alpha

Trash Compacter
Aug 11, 2018
You could try the Densium 4+. The Zotac Card is 10mm too long on paper, but you might be able to shave them off by getting rid of the backplate and deshrouding the card. Worst case, you need to cut the fins on the upper side of the heatsink. I'm almost 100% sure you can make it fit... with some dedication ;)
Yes, I've looked into it. I just need to deshroud it and dremel off a few mm.
So far my best option, I dont need to buy two cards XD
Found the heatsink on Ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...00031338410146!sea&curPageLogUid=yC7DUBEWydrP

sanakess

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2021
Wow, guys. Just complete a4000 itx build and its really OP. Powerful and cold as ice. I have really good silicon. Can do 1800mhz on 800mv it's +300 in afterburner. On maximum power drow 140w and full fan speed I have 62c. On 3060ti with identical cooler I need to cut some freq, to stabilaze temperature on 75c and 160w. A4000 completely destroy 3060ti. Buy it today from 435$ thx for miners. 3060ti buyed from 375$

nerdbit

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2021
www.nerdbit.nz
Wow, guys. Just complete a4000 itx build and its really OP. Powerful and cold as ice. I have really good silicon. Can do 1800mhz on 800mv it's +300 in afterburner. On maximum power drow 140w and full fan speed I have 62c. On 3060ti with identical cooler I need to cut some freq, to stabilaze temperature on 75c and 160w. A4000 completely destroy 3060ti. Buy it today from 435$ thx for miners. 3060ti buyed from 375$
That’s amazing dude! Did you use the aftermarket cooler on that a4000? Please share some photos if possible. Cheers