Completed Revoccases RCC-NUC1 | NUC Dedicated Graphics Enclosure

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
RCC-NUC1 is a Custom Designed Graphics Card Add-On for 8th Gen and 10th Gen NUCs

Why not give your NUC a decent GPU Boost while maintaining the small footprint on your desk? Sure, you can connect a graphics dock via Thunderbolt, but then you`ll loose that port for other accessories and you`ll have another case on your desk. RCC-NUC1 tries another approach, putting the graphics card directly under the NUC and connecting it via PCIe to the internal M.2 port.

Advantages:
  • Keep the NUCs small footprint
  • Keep all Thunderbolt ports free to use (e.g. Thunderbolt SSD)
  • Choose your own favorite GPU
  • Future proof: Just update your NUC and/or your GPU
  • Slightly better performance compared to Thunderbolt eGPU
Disadvantage:
  • You’ll loose the ability to use M.2 SSDs and need to use a SATA SSD instead
The set includes:
  • Black anodized aluminum enclosure
  • 12V, 400W Power Supply to power NUC and Graphics Card
  • PCIe to M.2 riser cable
  • Screws and accessories
What you still need:
  • Intel 8th GEN or 10th GEN NUC (tall version with SATA SSD support recommended!)
  • AC power cord
  • elbow HDMI adapter
  • <= 145W Graphics Card
Optional Accessories:
  • M.2 to ThunderBolt 3 adapter (EUR 100,-)

Option 1: NUC Graphics Booster

Option 2: Standalone eGPU

Last edited:

elect

What's an ITX?
New User
May 4, 2020
Nuc 10i7fnk2 here (10th Gen, slim)

It's really a pity choosing only M.2, I'd love to buy something like this, but it should allow TB3 connection

Why don't offer both? Isn't TB3 better than M.2?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Nuc 10i7fnk2 here (10th Gen, slim)

It's really a pity choosing only M.2, I'd love to buy something like this, but it should allow TB3 connection

Why don't offer both? Isn't TB3 better than M.2?

Mainly due to cost reasons but M.2 is also a bit faster. TB is better if you need to be flexible and use it for different applications but since this is specifically designed for NUCS I choose cost and speed over flexibility.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh wow, combining this with a fast NUC will be quite the pocket gamer PC ! Interesting project !

Reactions: REVOCCASES

basal

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 17, 2020
This is amazing I really wanna do smth similar I have the nuc10. 6 cores.
CAN i use the ADT-LINK R43, PCIe3.0 x4 M.2 to PCIe Extension (with a stronger PSU to hook it up to 5700 xt ultra ((500W GPU))? becuase I read this extenstion can only handle up to 75w but in their website it says it can handle the vega 64???

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
This is amazing I really wanna do smth similar I have the nuc10. 6 cores.
CAN i use the ADT-LINK R43, PCIe3.0 x4 M.2 to PCIe Extension (with a stronger PSU to hook it up to 5700 xt ultra ((500W GPU))? becuase I read this extenstion can only handle up to 75w but in their website it says it can handle the vega 64???

Yes, if you buy the R43SG you just need a powerful PSU and nothing more to make it work. For my project I was using another version of the R43 though. You'll have to check, they offer different versions depending on your application.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I had a little time to follow up on my niche project and started to build two prototype enclosures.

Now I am thinking which GPU I should get to test it with. I could get a factory sealed R9 NANO for 120,- or a GTX1660 for 180,- bucks. For testing thermals and power stuff the R9 would probably be a good choice. ?

PS: gthe design also works as a eGPU enclosure for other PCs / Notebooks over TB3. You just need to get a M.2 SSD to TB3 adapter like this:

Last edited:
Reactions: THUMPer

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Build log:

1) install fans, PSU, Riser and SSD

2) if you have one of the tall NUCs you can also re-use the drive cage of that one

3) connect all the cables to the NUC and fix it to the chassis (that is the most difficult part)

4) install your graphics card

5) assemble the cover and done

6) power it up and have fun

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
NUCs are crazy small. That eGPU box looks huge until you see how small the GPU inside is!

Great looking product.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
NUCs are crazy small. That eGPU box looks huge until you see how small the GPU inside is!

Great looking product.

Yeah, if you only see the case from a photo you might think it's quite huge. But it's really tiny. Probably the smallest eGPU enclosure with internal PSU out there.

Still need to move the power button to the back. Looks kinda stupid although it's just 16mm.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Yeah, if you only see the case from a photo you might think it's quite huge. But it's really tiny. Probably the smallest eGPU enclosure with internal PSU out there.

Still need to move the power button to the back. Looks kinda stupid although it's just 16mm.
Max GPU dimensions? Didn't see it listed anywhere

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I started this project to have a neat little gaming rig for my living room. Now I have finally finished my build with one of the prototypes.

NUC on STEROIDS

build log:

get the case parts ready

assemble the riser cable

install the power supply (don't worry to bend the riser cable, it's a good one)

prepare the power cables

connect ground!!! and AC wires

connect the DC output cables

connect the remote power ON line to PIN #3 on the PSU

connect DC power for PCIe riser and (optional) fan(s)

screw in the standoffs

fix the NUC's SSD caddy to the chassis

connect the PS ON wire to the NUCs front header (5V PIN)

connect SATA and PCIe M.2 cables to the NUC

fix the NUC to the chassis

put in your GPU

slide over the cover

slots at the back are for cable ties (cable management)

almost done

note: power button is optional if you use it with a NUC. This is only necessary if you use this enclosure as traditional eGPU with your Notebook instead of a NUC.

external cable management

last but not least:
  • connect your monitor to the HDMI port of the NUC
  • install the GPU drivers
  • reboot
  • connect your monitor to the (e)GPU
  • ready to go

size comparison with his BIG1 brother

Last edited:

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
This is a really cool (but really niche) idea! Wouldn't it be possible to power the Nuc itself off the PSU in the GPU enclosure? That way you would only need 1 power plug and the entire thing becomes brickless.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
This is a really cool (but really niche) idea! Wouldn't it be possible to power the Nuc itself off the PSU in the GPU enclosure? That way you would only need 1 power plug and the entire thing becomes brickless.

Thanks.

Yes indeed. The final version will be completely brickless. ;)