Completed REVOCCASES RCC-BRICKMOD500 / build your own power brick with up to 500W output

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I mean, the external case for any sff psus, nearly like what seasonic did with their ATX titanium psus https://seasonic.com/prime-titanium-fanless, but still have space for a 92mm fan. The benefit for sandwich case is that air blown from bottom fans can't be block, it would go through the power supply and go up.

Now I get it. :)

Which dimensions or compatibility do you have in mind? A case like that would almost be as big as a standard Sfx power supply. Except the airflow, not many advantages here I can see.

Wouldn't my Sfx to meanwell bracket be enough already?

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
not giving up just yet... I found a suitable profile which would fit perfectly...

I'll build a prototype in the coming days and see how it turns out.

Could be a nice alternative to the modded DELL bricks if it works as planned.

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
I'm surprised by the disinterest in external psu. Personally my dream would be to have a premium passively cooled (I could deal with a fan that turns on and off) metal 500w brick. Then have aviator connectors from the brick to your PC. Then have a aviator connector or something else to molex/atx cable inside the PC. This would open up so many possibilities in cooling for a lot of the sff pcs. I keep looking at my Dan a4 and really just want the whole psu gone so I can easily put in a full custom loop.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I'm surprised by the disinterest in external psu. Personally my dream would be to have a premium passively cooled (I could deal with a fan that turns on and off) metal 500w brick. Then have aviator connectors from the brick to your PC. Then have a aviator connector or something else to molex/atx cable inside the PC. This would open up so many possibilities in cooling for a lot of the sff pcs. I keep looking at my Dan a4 and really just want the whole psu gone so I can easily put in a full custom loop.

You just read my mind. One small brick like that could easily replace two big DELL bricks and power your Gunique, HDplex, or similar DC-DC converter.

Yeah, I was planning to use XT60 as DC output connector and also offer some cable options.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Looking good!

So for getting power from here to the system. I know we can use a pico psu, g-unique, or hdpelx 200w for the motherboard and CPU. But how about a high powered gpu? Are there any decent solutions?

Working on it.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Today I found a little time to load-test my MEANWELL-Brick concept. It's working better than expected.

I am using a small fan controller which can be set that the fan stays OFF under light load and will increase fan speed as the power supplies heats up under heavier load. With only one small Noctua fan I was able to pull more than 400W out of the MEANWELL RPS-400-12 continuously (I stopped after 45 minutes) without the Brick even getting hot.

Guess I can go ahead and start a small batch production of my RCC-BRICKMOD1 :cool:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Today I found a little time to load-test my MEANWELL-Brick concept. It's working better than expected.

I am using a small fan controller which can be set that the fan stays OFF under light load and will increase fan speed as the power supplies heats up under heavier load. With only one small Noctua fan I was able to pull more than 400W out of the MEANWELL RPS-400-12 continuously (I stopped after 45 minutes) without the Brick even getting hot.

Guess I can go ahead and start a small batch production of my RCC-BRICKMOD1 :cool:

Looks like a real game changer for some builds! Is the overall package size larger than FlexATX? If it's the same or smaller I could see this being a popular internal solution too - quiet fans are not very achievable with FlexATX except a few SKUs and also eliminates the 24pin cable.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Looks like a real game changer for some builds! Is the overall package size larger than FlexATX? If it's the same or smaller I could see this being a popular internal solution too - quiet fans are not very achievable with FlexATX except a few SKUs and also eliminates the 24pin cable.

Yes, it's bigger than Flex but smaller than any affordable / available external brick with that kind of power. A few posts back I already said you can use the meanwells internal and don't need some enclosure to keep them cool enough given the case has enough airflow. But sure, if some case designers would adapt my form factor, similar what we have seen with HDplex, why not.

For now I'm focused to provide a small and nice looking external solution which you can pair with plug-in PSUs. I'll keep you update when the final version is ready. :)

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Very nice! What are the exact dimensions of it? I would like to see a 500w version of this packaged with your plug-in pico psu. Rumor has it the new Nvidia rtx 3000 series will need over 300w, so 500w will be good future proofing.

Edit: How's the noise of the fan?

Last edited:
Reactions: REVOCCASES

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Definitely can dig this as a alternative to the other bricks out there.

Im probably the minority of people that like this but I'm also using a Enermax steel wing that. If I used it with the stock internal psu would be roasting itself constantly. Crazy how cool it got when I went to the external acdc

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Very nice! What are the exact dimensions of it? I would like to see a 500w version of this packaged with your plug-in pico psu. Rumor has it the new Nvidia rtx 3000 series will need over 300w, so 500w will be good future proofing.

Edit: How's the noise of the fan?

Thanks. :)

Dimensions: 106x55x158mm (WxHxL)

I used the Noctua NF-A4x10 which is non-audible, even if you try hard to hear it. For 500W I would recommend a stronger fan though.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
This is great! I didn't see it mentioned, but I like that it's not plastic. I would like to see a smaller ~200-250W model.

Thanks. :)

It's all solid anodized aluminum (mentioned on the first page).

From my point of view a 200~250W model is unnecessary because:
  1. the RPS 400 is only 25 bucks more than the RPS 200
  2. going for the RPS 400 instead of 200 makes it future-proof for updates
  3. the RPS 400 can run totally passive in this enclosure if only stressed with 200W (no need any fans)
  4. IF you want to use the RPS 200 anyways, you CAN put it in this enclosure
But I'm always open to change my mind if you have pros for a 200-250W model :cool: