Completed REVOCCASES RCC-BRICKMOD500 / build your own power brick with up to 500W output

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I made a size comparison of the different power supply solutions available which are capable of >=200W output.

If you keep in mind that the DC-DC solutions still need the corresponding AC-DC unit to work, you wont safe any space in your case if you put the AC-DC part inside. You could just buy a FLEX PSU.

some examples (not considering cables and connectors):

HDPLEX 400W Set internal mounted: 0,43 liter + 0,20 liter = 0,63 liter

FLEX 400W (non modular): 0,54 liter

HDPLEX 200W Set internal mounted: 0,43 liter + 0,05 liter = 0,48 liter

RCC-COOLMOD1 & RCC-PWR1 400W Set internal mounted: 0,55 liter + 0,04 liter = 0,59 liter

Long story short: my initial idea was to provide a solution for you to build a small, nice looking and powerful external AC-DC unit for powering 12V DC-DC ATX boards. 1st to make up space in your cases and 2nd to get rid of that chunky DELL adapter which is one of the few available solutions except some also chunky LED drivers.

To come back to "robbee's" question before: you are right. If you need some internal solution for 400W, better get a ENHANCE FLEX PSU, put a Noctua fan in it and you are good.

Reactions: timginter

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Awesome to see you doing your own load testing and the case looks real nice! I'm definitely an internal PSU fanboy though.

My issue with HD Plex and FlexATX is the 24pin cable. That's one of the great perks of the DC/ATX plugin units.

Also that Enhance FlexATX model everyone likes is so damn expensive.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I made a size comparison of the different power supply solutions available which are capable of >=200W output.

If you keep in mind that the DC-DC solutions still need the corresponding AC-DC unit to work, you wont safe any space in your case if you put the AC-DC part inside. You could just buy a FLEX PSU.

some examples (not considering cables and connectors):

HDPLEX 400W Set internal mounted: 0,43 liter + 0,20 liter = 0,63 liter

FLEX 400W (non modular): 0,54 liter

HDPLEX 200W Set internal mounted: 0,43 liter + 0,05 liter = 0,48 liter

RCC-COOLMOD1 & RCC-PWR1 400W Set internal mounted: 0,55 liter + 0,04 liter = 0,59 liter

Long story short: my initial idea was to provide a solution for you to build a small, nice looking and powerful external AC-DC unit for powering 12V DC-DC ATX boards. 1st to make up space in your cases and 2nd to get rid of that chunky DELL adapter which is one of the few available solutions except some also chunky LED drivers.

To come back to "robbee's" question before: you are right. If you need some internal solution for 400W, better get a ENHANCE FLEX PSU, put a Noctua fan in it and you are good.

Note: The Plugin units take up space already occupied by the motherboard.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
bad news / good news update

bad news:
I didn't consider the production tolerances of the PCB and the aluminum extrusion case. The power supply I got for testing is slightly larger and the inner dimensions of the extrusion slightly smaller. That means there is not enough space for my FR4 and Lexan insulators. And as someone on reddit was jocking: no, I do not want to get anybody killed.

Long story short: I would have to increase the overall dimensions of the case and that would clearly make it less attractive in terms of size compared to available options.

good news:
as I have learned during my tests, the RPS/EPP-400 & RPS/EPP-500 will provide you with up to 90% of the rated max. output power if your case is well enough ventilated (e.g. the PSU sits somewhere near the intake fan). So if you want to go for internal, you do not need some additional cooling mod, just get the normal version with the protection "cage" and don't forget to put a ground (earth) connection somewhere on the chassis.

Should there be interest for some external solution (turn the RPS and EPP into an external brick) , just let me know. Else I will close the project.

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty2k1

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
bad news / good news update

bad news:
I didn't consider the production tolerances of the PCB and the aluminum extrusion case. The power supply I got for testing is slightly larger and the inner dimensions of the extrusion slightly smaller. That means there is not enough space for my FR4 and Lexan insulators. And as someone on reddit was jocking: no, I do not want to get anybody killed.

Long story short: I would have to increase the overall dimensions of the case and that would clearly make it less attractive in terms of size compared to available options.

good news:
as I have learned during my tests, the RPS/EPP-400 & RPS/EPP-500 will provide you with up to 90% of the rated max. output power if your case is well enough ventilated (e.g. the PSU sits somewhere near the intake fan). So if you want to go for internal, you do not need some additional cooling mod, just get the normal version with the protection "cage" and don't forget to put a ground (earth) connection somewhere on the chassis.

Should there be interest for some external solution (turn the RPS and EPP into an external brick) , just let me know. Else I will close the project.

Is that extrusion custom or off the shelf?

Also, consider that the enhance 7660b can be customized.

And Adapter tech released their 300W external GAN unit.

Both of the above units can be had with enough moq. COnsidering after all the engineering and assembly work you have to do, check out how those options compare.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Is that extrusion custom or off the shelf?

Also, consider that the enhance 7660b can be customized.

And Adapter tech released their 300W external GAN unit.

Both of the above units can be had with enough moq. COnsidering after all the engineering and assembly work you have to do, check out how those options compare.

One of our suppliers had this profile on stock and from the drawings it would have been a perfect fit.

My original idea was that I provide only the case together with thermal pads, FR4/Lexan insulators, (maybe fan control) and the necessary connectors. So people could buy an RPS/EPP 400/500 and put it in the case DIY to have a safe, powerful and small external (or internal) power brick.

Well, since internal makes no sense as I learned from my tests, I'm not sure to follow up my idea for external (since this is too unpopular). On the other hand this could have been one of the the most powerful small sized external bricks out there and yet affordable.

Last edited:
Reactions: lambino

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
How much bigger would this make it? Or maybe just provide additional cooling options for the cage version?

If going with another extrusion case, the next bigger size I have available would be 10mm wider and 4mm higher.

But I just had another idea...

How about a bracket to make these kind of PSUs mountable to an standard SFX cutout? Could probably also include a small fan holder somewhere in this design? And you could mount it facing inside or outside on your cases.

Would this make sense?

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
If going with another extrusion case, the next bigger size I have available would be 10mm wider and 4mm higher.

But I just had another idea...

How about a bracket to make these kind of PSUs mountable to an standard SFX cutout? Could probably also include a small fan holder somewhere in this design? And you could mount it facing inside or outside on your cases.

Would this make sense?
Stock some adapters for FlexATX to Meanwell too :)

D

Deleted member 19228

I think open design like some lightweight gaming mice will make it look more unique, also it will have room for another air flow from case fans.

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
I think open design like some lightweight gaming mice will make it look more unique, also it will have room for another air flow from case fans.
It depends if there is a direct airflow from the case fans. Otherwise it may cause hot air pockets in the case.

D

Deleted member 19228

It depends if there is a direct airflow from the case fans. Otherwise it may cause hot air pockets in the case.
This may lead me to the idea: sandwich mount, usually put their psu between bottom and top fan, so why don't we make a open-air psu case for this? Since then, It may help many custom waterblock build to show off their cases without negative heat from the psu.