Prototype REVOCCASES FLEX to MEANWELL PSU Bracket - RCC-FLEXWELL500

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
It seems many people are looking for alternatives to FLEX and HDplex power supplies at the moment.

Here is one more DIY option for you which I am currently working on: The REVOCCASES FLEX to MEANWELL PSU Bracket

The bracket provides a solution to mount MEANWELL RPS and EPP 500W (open frame, non case) power supplies to the FLEX PSU cutout of your case. Combining this with a powerful plug-in PSU (for example my RCC-PWR1) makes this a neat internal PSU setup.

WARNING: If you have no clue what I'm talking about and are not aware how dangerous AC voltages can be, this is not for you.

Specs (TBD):
  • 40x10mm fan support
  • 140x80x42mm size (compare FLEX: 150x82x40mm)
  • black anodized aluminum
  • pre-configured AC IEC pigtail cable included
  • bracket acts as additional heatsink, thermal pads for better passive cooling included
Compatible AC-DC power supplies (choose different voltages depending on your DC-DC ATX PSU) :
Size comparison:

Last edited:

JohnCA

Average Stuffer
Dec 2, 2018
Very nice!
But make sure that the chosen fan provides enough airflow for the psu. I've seen people modifying the fan on Flex psus before, and it usually gets faulty after a couple months due to overheating...

Reactions: sergiiua

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Very nice!
But make sure that the chosen fan provides enough airflow for the psu. I've seen people modifying the fan on Flex psus before, and it gets faulty after a couple months due to overheating...

I am only going to provide the bracket, thermal pads, screws and AC cable. Getting a fan and the Meanwell power supply will be up to the user. I can only give recommendations here.

Reactions: JohnCA

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Excellent idea, though I will say users should be careful in their case choice, I've found many of the mini sandwich style cases leave exactly 40.5mm of space for the flexatx unit so framing 42mm in would be impossible.

But oh the joys of eliminating the 24 wire cable...!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Excellent idea, though I will say users should be careful in their case choice, I've found many of the mini sandwich style cases leave exactly 40.5mm of space for the flexatx unit so framing 42mm in would be impossible.

But oh the joys of eliminating the 24 wire cable...!

Unfortunately I only have the MetalFish S3 to test it and it leaves a few mm on each side in this case.

I am currently making some prototypes. If someone would like to check it out and give some feedback just let me know. Bracket is for free, I'll only charge the shipping cost.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Looks like some disappointment with the new FSP 500w flex unit:
If your meanwell psu fits in the place of the flexpsu for most cases and is readily available and packaged as a complete unit with the 24pin plug in unit I think these would FLY off shelves.

Considering the chance units are expensive and often must be purchased through Taobao something direct to the customer may be a huge bonus for some.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Looks like some disappointment with the new FSP 500w flex unit:
If your meanwell psu fits in the place of the flexpsu for most cases and is readily available and packaged as a complete unit with the 24pin plug in unit I think these would FLY off shelves.

Considering the chance units are expensive and often must be purchased through Taobao something direct to the customer may be a huge bonus for some.

Would like to know if the fan on the FSP is push or pull. I think the solution which Huntkey is using is pretty good. Fan sits inside but blows out to the back to prevent hot air trapped inside the case. Would be worth checking out just turning the fan around in the FSP.

Yeah, let's wait for my prototypes and tests with the Meanwell. If it works out as planned this could be a real solution to the flex problem. :)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
prototypes are ready....

Its not difficult to put it all together but it is very important to stick the thermal pads at the correct positions. The black heatsinks from the MEANWELL carry high voltages and you need to insulate them with the thermal silicone pad so that they can never ever touch the case!

After this, you just install your fan and screw down the case/bracket onto the MEANWELL RPS-500.

I am still not sure if I should include some thermal fan controller with the bracket?

Unless case designers chose a press-fit for the FLEX form factor it will fit totally fine. In the METALFISH it leaves quite a few mm on each side.

Next up: load testing to see how it performs...

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
prototypes are ready....

Its not difficult to put it all together but it is very important to stick the thermal pads at the correct positions. The black heatsinks from the MEANWELL carry high voltages and you need to insulate them with the thermal silicone pad so that they can never ever touch the case!

After this, you just install your fan and screw down the case/bracket onto the MEANWELL RPS-500.

I am still not sure if I should include some thermal fan controller with the bracket?

Unless case designers chose a press-fit for the FLEX form factor it will fit totally fine. In the METALFISH it leaves quite a few mm on each side.

Next up: load testing to see how it performs...
Looks great. I think it's usually the vertical height that is restricted to 40.5mm or so, but since you're using the meanwell that doesn't come supplied with a cage I think you save some height there.

Btw I'd have zero issues doing my own thermal pad installation as I've installed plenty of heatsinks and what not, but I suspect you would get a lot more customers if the product came assembled/bundled. I understand this causes issues with carrying more stock etc. Maybe assemble the 500w versions and have some empty cases for anyone that wants to build their own?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Looks great. I think it's usually the vertical height that is restricted to 40.5mm or so, but since you're using the meanwell that doesn't come supplied with a cage I think you save some height there.

Btw I'd have zero issues doing my own thermal pad installation as I've installed plenty of heatsinks and what not, but I suspect you would get a lot more customers if the product came assembled/bundled. I understand this causes issues with carrying more stock etc. Maybe assemble the 500w versions and have some empty cases for anyone that wants to build their own?

true, it is a tiny bit higher than FLEX but not much with 42mm. Official FLEX specs says 40.5 +/- 0.3mm for the height. Unfortunately I am not 100% familiar with all the cases out there but I guess it should fit in most.

I would be totally fine to offer this pre-assembled with the PSU but from my POV this brings a few disadvantages for the customer:
  • Higher import tax and customs fees due to higher value of the product.
  • Warranty of the MEANWELL: customer would have to return it back to me if the MEANWELL should have issues. If they buy locally this would be much easier.
Personally I would prefer to sell the kits in bulk without PSU to different case vendors out there (maybe VELKASE, SFF Time, CC Ricers, ... ? ?) so they could offer this to their customers and maybe even pre-assemble in their cases. I think this would be the best solution for the customers in terms of cost and ease-of-use.

As a second option I'll just put the kit on my shop but I guess shipping cost will kill it already (ca. 20,- USD to the US).

But first let's see how it performs before starting to sell it ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty2k1

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
test results are promising!

the bracket acts like a big heatsink and together with a small (non-audible) 4010 Noctua it keeps the MEANWELL cool enough to provide your build with up to 500W @ 12VDC

@300W for one hour: PSU keeps around 50C

@500W for one hour: PSU keeps around 65C

Notes: I achieved the best (thermal) results making the Noctua intake and closing off the vent holes I put in the bracket. I also still have another few ideas for improvement which will flow into the final version.

Now, anybody interested to check it out?

Reactions: JohnCA

JohnCA

Average Stuffer
Dec 2, 2018
Results seem good, did you test it with actual pc hardware? Would be nice to see a complete build with it running inside :D

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Any updates on this?

I didn't follow up since it will be slightly larger (higher) than FLEX and therefore won't fit in certain popular cases like Velka 3.

If you have a case like the MetalFish, it will fit perfectly though. Anyone (seriously) interested in this I can offer a set together with GxR-ONE - build to order