Power Supply Review / Teardown | 700W Modular FLEX Power Supply from TaoBao 7760B (MF-700F)

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
OR just get the tried and true 7660B from Velkase. It's what I'm going with.

the person designing my custom PC said that the shortened cables, on Velkase's ENP 7660B, are too short.

specifically, they were talking about its 24-pin CPU cables.

i believe its about 250mm long, but he needs 300- 350mm long.

can anyone please advise on whether that's right ???

Last edited:

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
the person designing my custom PC said that the shortened cables, on Velkase's ENP 7660B, are too short.

specifically, they were talking about its 24-pin CPU cables.

i believe its about 200mm long, but he needs 300mm long.

can anyone please advise on whether that's right ???
It is mentioned in the description that the 24pin is 250mm long so its too short if you need 300mm

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
It is mentioned in the description that the 24pin is 250mm long so its too short if you need 300mm
thanks.

so basically if the SilverStone unit is not powder coated, my best option is to either :

a) mod it to swap with a 20mm Noctua fan, & then re-paint it.

or

b) purchase stock ENP 7660B, then mod cable color to black.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
thanks.

so basically if the SilverStone unit is not powder coated, my best option is to either :

a) mod it to swap with a 20mm Noctua fan, & then re-paint it.

or

b) purchase stock ENP 7660B, then mod cable color to black.
c) a short cable extension to make up the length difference.

d) a TaoBao PSU like the one REVOCCASES reviewed.

e) the Enhance moded by GEEEK, then paint it.

I love the many options you have in this hobby.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
All (black) PSUs I know are powder coated.

someone told me they know a " SFFTEC " version ENP 7660B, is not actually powdercoated black, because it started getting scratched off, after they bought it.

generally, actual powdercoating is difficult to scratch off.

@REVOCCASES ,can you please advise on this ??

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
someone told me they know a " SFFTEC " version ENP 7660B, is not actually powdercoated black, because it started getting scratched off, after they bought it.

generally, actual powdercoating is difficult to scratch off.

@REVOCCASES ,can you please advise on this ??

I don't have a SFFTEC 7660B so I can't comment on that question.

mylighterside

Cable Smoosher
May 20, 2021
facebook.com
I needed a new FLEX power supply for my RCC-SMALL2 project and I know some of you are also looking for alternatives to the famous ENHANCE 7660B.

Some time ago I spotted a promising new FLEX PSU on TaoBao which is supposed to deliver up to 700W. The manufacturer is a Chinese Company called "Extreme Cat Electronics" (极致猫电子) and they are already in the business for some time. The company is mainly doing OEM, so their PSUs sell under different names / brands. The one I got sells as MF-700F but some sellers like YTC also just call it 7760B.

So let's have a look what we can get for CNY 700,- (ca. USD 110,-) ...

the PSU comes with modular soft white cables, which should fit for most builds

the manufacturer claims 700W max output and 90+ efficiency so let's have look what's inside...

I am pleasantly surprised that they use quite good brand components and nothing "no-name" like many other TaoBao FLEX PSUs I have seen before. Overall I think the price of ~110 USD is fair, I wouldn't pay more though. The small heatsink is a good indicator that it has a decent efficiency. I am not so happy that the screw locking washer for the grounding wire is missing. Normally that is mandatory if they want to get a CE certificate so I doubt the CE they printed on the label is legit.

Just FYI, below is the "METALFISH 500W FLEX" PSU for comparison. Guess even if you have no idea about power supplies you can tell that there is a big quality difference.

The side view reveals an SRC/LLC+SR Controller which is another indicator that it really has 90+ efficiency.

Some things that should be improved IMO: one of the smaller caps is touching a solder spot and the wires from one of the buck chokes are touching a screw on this heatsink there. Although that this seems to be no issue I would feel more comfortable having some insulation or creepage distance there.

soldering quality looks clean, not too much tin and no cold solder spots

fan / noise: I could not find any datasheet for the fan they are using but it seems to be a 9000RPM one which sounds like a jet engine at full RPM. The fan is silent in idle but starts to make a high pitched unpleasant sound when going over 200W. It is controlled by the output load, not by temperature so keep that in mind if you want to do a fan swap. Update: the fan is temperature controlled and will ramp up from 20% @ 30C to 100% @ 60C. At full load, that tiny fan needs to get rid of ~75W heat and a Noctua 5000RPM fan just can not do that. I haven't tested it yet but I would guess you should be OK with a Noctua fan up to 400W load.

for PSUs it's important that materials used are UL approved / flame retardant so I am glad to see that the insulating materials do not burn

if you are interested, the manufacturer "Extreme Cat" also did some own videos showing the performance and internals of his PSUs, thanks @tinyitx for sharing

I'll post an update here once I did a a fan swap and tested the PSU for some time.

My thoughts so far:

this one is probably the best Chinese TaoBao FLEX PSU I have checked so far but is it worth to buy? Well, consider this...
  • VELKA is selling the original ENHANCE 7660B for USD 160,-
  • The MF-700F sells for 700,- CNY (ca. 110,- USD) on TaoBao plus you have to use Superbuy and pay a lot for shipping, perhaps also customs / import fees
  • If there are quality issues, you would have to return it to China on your own cost and waiting a long time to get it repaired / replaced
  • unless it has to be black and modular, modded second hand 500W ~ 600W FLEX server PSUs are much cheaper and also do the job

to be continued....
Mate, just want to say that I wholly appreciate this teardown and analysis you did. This might be a good go to for me since I live in Asia and flex psus are scarce and needs to be imported either from Mainland China or Taiwan.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I'm still conflicted if it's worth the money for Black and Modular, two things I really want in my build lol.

i have ordered both a stock ENP 7660B, & the 500W version of what @REVOCCASES is reviewing here.

i'll report results with a semi-silent fan, by june or july.

however, i'll note this specific item is $130 USA dollars, with UPS shipping [ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001406139977.html ] ,& has 15 day free returns.

with 15 day free returns, i don't see how you can go wrong, as that's more than enough time to open it, & see if its inside is quality.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
with 15 day free returns, i don't see how you can go wrong, as that's more than enough time to open it, & see if its inside is quality.
You better check the warranty and/or return details.
AFAIK, none of PSU makers would allow a return of an unit if it is opened.
So, if you plan to open it, be prepared to forfeit the return.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
You better check the warranty and/or return details.
AFAIK, none of PSU makers would allow a return of an unit if it is opened.
So, if you plan to open it, be prepared to forfeit the return.

if you purchase with paypal, then their policy supersedes whatever policy the seller has.

when i've sold with paypal, i never won a return dispute, without a report from a USA law enforcement agency, such as a local sheriff's office or local police department.

other than that, my complaints to paypal about buyers opening items, fell on deaf ears, like talking to a brick wall.

however, its a moot point as i've decided to have the PSU tested first, before opening it up and taking photos.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
PSU : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001406139977.html

1st report out of 2 :

a) color vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( silver color ) ,result SFFTEC unit wins

b) fan noise vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( noise is equivalent to average of reviews on this forum, but this has a lower price, so after swapping Noctua fan, it evens out in terms of price ) ,result AliExpress unit wins

c) shortened cables vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( 24-pin and SATA cables are shortened, and white/silver color, CPU cable is not shortened. all cables are modular ) ,result AliExpress unit wins

d) price, factoring in ship quality/time, vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( UPS shipping, arrives in about 1 week to USA, total price of unit is about $65 less ) ,there is no comparison here, result AliExpress unit wins

e) purchase security vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( although both had paypal buyer protection, this also has 15 day free returns, so you don't even have to file a paypal claim ) ,there is no comparison here, result AliExpress unit wins

Overall result : AliExpress unit wins by a lot, please wait for report on actual power wattage

EDIT: please use my new weblink below for a black color unit, as i do not recommend any PSU, other than the one in this new weblink.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
PSU : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001406139977.html

1st report out of 2 :

a) color vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( silver color ) ,result SFFTEC unit wins

b) fan noise vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( noise is equivalent to average of reviews on this forum, but this has a lower price, so after swapping Noctua fan, it evens out in terms of price ) ,result AliExpress unit wins

c) shortened cables vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( 24-pin and SATA cables are shortened, and white/silver color, CPU cable is not shortened. all cables are modular ) ,result AliExpress unit wins

d) price, factoring in ship quality/time, vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( UPS shipping, arrives in about 1 week to USA, total price of unit is about $65 less ) ,there is no comparison here, result AliExpress unit wins

e) purchase security vs SFFTEC ENP-7660B ( although both had paypal buyer protection, this also has 15 day free returns, so you don't even have to file a paypal claim ) ,there is no comparison here, result AliExpress unit wins

Overall result : AliExpress unit wins by a lot, please wait for report on actual power wattage

Looking forward to part two.

Especially interested in:
  • Internal build / components quality
  • Performance under higher load (temperature and noise)

Reactions: scatterforce

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Looking forward to part two.

Especially interested in:
  • Internal build / components quality
  • Performance under higher load (temperature and noise)

i'm hoping its around 405W with default, noisy fan; and around 255W with Noctua fan swap.

if it doesn't meet that, i'm going to use the 15 day free return policy.

however, if it gets to 255W with Noctua fan swap, there's no doubt that its a good deal, at only $130 USA dollars with UPS shipping.

i would be shocked out of my mind, if it could get to 330W with Noctua fan swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: scatterforce

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
If you are not comfortable changing the fan by yourself - IIRC, some sellers like YTC offer the 7760B also pre-modded with a Noctua fan

obviously, you're aware that i bought the 550- 600W version of this, but i was wondering if you still had your 650- 700W version, with Noctua fan installed.

Last edited: