News [REVERSED] AMD says X470, B450 WILL support Zen3

This is kind of a big deal. It's not the end of the world because it's likely that, just like with B350 and X370, some motherboard manufacturers will make it work, but I think the net/net is people that bought B450 boards expecting to go to Zen 3 may be disappointed :(

EDIT: AMD has reversed this decision and decided to enable motherboard manufacturers to upgrade 400-series motherboards to support Zen3. Details to be unveiled later.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018
What I'm wondering is if it's possible to flash a new bios with a processor which is not supported with said bios.

Example :
- current situation : 2400G with compatible bios
- flashing the new bios (which is not compatible with the 2400G)
- remplacing the 2400G with a more recent processor (4700G for example), post bios flash

?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 10, 2019
What I'm wondering is if it's possible to flash a new bios with a processor which is not supported with said bios.

Example :
- current situation : 2400G with compatible bios
- flashing the new bios (which is not compatible with the 2400G)
- remplacing the 2400G with a more recent processor (4700G for example), post bios flash

?
The 4700G is a bad example because it's not a Zen 3 processor (it will be Zen 2 + Vega). But lets say you wanted to go from your Ryzen 2600X to a 4700X in the future.
You would boot your 2700 in the motherboard, flash the BIOS with the new Zen 3 BIOS, then after flash is complete, shut it down and swap CPUs. Then it should boot again.

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018
The 4700G is a bad example because it's not a Zen 3 processor (it will be Zen 2 + Vega). But lets say you wanted to go from your Ryzen 2600X to a 4700X in the future.
You would boot your 2700 in the motherboard, flash the BIOS with the new Zen 3 BIOS, then after flash is complete, shut it down and swap CPUs. Then it should boot again.
Yeah, my example was not the most accurate, I agree.
In fact, the core of my question was if the bios flash would finish correctly even if the new bios is not compatible with the currently installed processor. You think so ?

Last edited:

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 10, 2019
Yeah, my example was not the most accurate, I agree.
In fact, the core of my question was if the bios flash would finish correctly even if the new bios is not compatible with the currently installed processor. You think so ?
I don't know how else you could do it. Old BIOS doesn't support new chip so it's impossible any other way. I believe the BIOS is read entirely into memory on boot, which is why you can flash the BIOS at all.