Recommended distance between mobo and rear panel?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
I'm making a custom case, and I need to position the mother board now inside the case.
My question is now simple: what is the recommended distance between the edge of the motherboard and the rear panel/wall of the case so that the IO backplate also fits there?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwljs460h8fk5nc/Slide1.jpg?dl=0

I have previously found that 2.0 - 2.1 mm is the preferred distance. Is that true? Or should it be closer/further away?

Also, what is the standard hole size dimensions for the cut-out for the IO-shield?

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
The distance between the bottom of the motherboard and bottom is 6.35mm. The distance between the bottom of the I/O shield and bottom is 4.1148mm.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
~2.1mm between the inside of the chassis and the edge of the board, according to the spec. You might want to bump it to 2.5-3mm to make it a little easier to install those annoying foam-backed I/O shields motherboard manufacturers have taken a liking to, though.

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
~2.1mm between the inside of the chassis and the edge of the board, according to the spec. You might want to bump it to 2.5-3mm to make it a little easier to install those annoying foam-backed I/O shields motherboard manufacturers have taken a liking to, though.
Is this also enough space for a back-mounted m.2 drive?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Is this also enough space for a back-mounted m.2 drive?
Both you and @HeroXLazer have misunderstood what the OP is asking about; they aren't asking about the distance from the underside of the board to the motherboard tray, but from the rear edge of the board to the inside of the rear of the chassis. This distance, per the spec, is 2.108mm.

The distance from the underside of the board to the tray, on the other hand, is specified as a minimum of 6.35mm. That should be enough for an m.2 drive, yes.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Both you and @HeroXLazer have misunderstood what the OP is asking about; they aren't asking about the distance from the underside of the board to the motherboard tray, but from the rear edge of the board to the inside of the rear of the chassis. This distance, per the spec, is 2.108mm.

The distance from the underside of the board to the tray, on the other hand, is specified as a minimum of 6.35mm. That should be enough for an m.2 drive, yes.
Oh...

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
There are a bunch of guides in the resources section of this very page.

What you are looking for specifically is for example covered in this resource from protocase: http://www.protocase.com/resources/how-to-design-for-motherboards/
(you'll have to scroll down a bit to get to I/O part)

Thank you guys. You basically confirmed what I had already found. It is also good to learn that it is not THAT strict with the distance (i.e. 2.1 - 2.5 mm of leeway). Makes it much simpler for an amateur tinkerer like me.