Discussion Plastic shielding on sandwich-style cases?

hammy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Feb 8, 2020
Hey everyone, I'm having some fun and making some custom cases. I just had a question on the "plastic shielding" I see on some sandwich-style cases (like the Dan case).

There seems to be a plastic shield between the riser/gpu and the motherboard. Is there a reason for this? Is there a reason some cases do this and some don't? What kinds of designs should have that kind of plastic divider (or is it more dependent on the riser itself)?

Thanks in advance!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
AFAIK, the plastic shield is to prevent any possible electrical short between the back of the display card with other parts (eg the case, the mobo...etc). If the card has a backplate, the plastic sheet is not necessary.
(If you do provide a 'plastic' shield, be careful to choose the material so that static electricity is not introduced.)

hammy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Feb 8, 2020
AFAIK, the plastic shield is to prevent any possible electrical short between the back of the display card with other parts (eg the case, the mobo...etc). If the card has a backplate, the plastic sheet is not necessary.
(If you do provide a 'plastic' shield, be careful to choose the material so that static electricity is not introduced.)
Huh, that's really interesting. Thanks for the info. Is there a reason why so few case makers seem to actually put the shielding in place? Thank you!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Huh, that's really interesting. Thanks for the info. Is there a reason why so few case makers seem to actually put the shielding in place? Thank you!
I think it is because this is just a precaution and is not an absolute must. If one pays a little attention (even when using a display card without a backplate), there should not be any problem.
It is nice to have one but not really have-to-be.
So, some case makers just omit it.
My guess only.