Discussion Recommend software for planning SFF Builds

findingmyfeet

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2021
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any recommended software programs that help in planning layouts for builds. I looked through and saw there was a thread from a few years back that recommended Sketchup Make as a useful free software. Have there been any developments in that space over the past few years that are any better or would this still be the best start point?

I'm pretty novice in this area but always happy to play around and figure stuff out.

Thanks in advance.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
I sketched up 3 of my last builds in Blender, it's pretty convenient and easy to use. For modelling individual parts I use Fusion 360, the UX is pretty terrible ngl but that's typical for CAD software. I also tried sketching up a whole build in Fusion and that turned out to be very time-consuming compared to Blender. The main problem is the lack of absolute positioning, however, you save some time by not having to convert parts to a format that Blender can import.

Reactions: findingmyfeet

findingmyfeet

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2021

findingmyfeet

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2021
I sketched up 3 of my last builds in Blender, it's pretty convenient and easy to use. For modelling individual parts I use Fusion 360, the UX is pretty terrible ngl but that's typical for CAD software. I also tried sketching up a whole build in Fusion and that turned out to be very time-consuming compared to Blender. The main problem is the lack of absolute positioning, however, you save some time by not having to convert parts to a format that Blender can import.
Thank you very much Blender looks great. Lots to learn, but no different I suppose to picking up something like GIMP and becoming familiar with that.

As for Fusion 360, are there any known libraries of parts that can be imported in to it at all? Just wondering as libraries are common in CAD CAM software to save time.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Thank you very much Blender looks great. Lots to learn, but no different I suppose to picking up something like GIMP and becoming familiar with that.

As for Fusion 360, are there any known libraries of parts that can be imported in to it at all? Just wondering as libraries are common in CAD CAM software to save time.
Lots of free CAD models here: https://grabcad.com/library. Fusion 360 with free personal license can import STEP/IGES, for IPT and SLDPRT, the other 2 popular formats, you'd need an external converter.

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
Simple Autocad (or any other similar) for direct modeling. Very easy and fast but lacks the advantages of parametric modeling.
Fusion 360 for parametric modeling. Not very easy (at least at the beginning), not very fast but gives almost all the tools you may need for modeling and later for manufacturing.

Both are useful and can be used at the same time.

findingmyfeet

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2021
Simple Autocad (or any other similar) for direct modeling. Very easy and fast but lacks the advantages of parametric modeling.
Fusion 360 for parametric modeling. Not very easy (at least at the beginning), not very fast but gives almost all the tools you may need for modeling and later for manufacturing.

Both are useful and can be used at the same time.
Thanks very much. AutoCAD is in my experience quite a PITA, but will give it a go along with Fusion.