Prototype RCC-SMALL2 | minimalistic 6L ITX console / slim tower case with NH-L12S support

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
had some time today to cut the first parts, guess I can test the prototype next week...

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
1st SMALL2 prototype build incoming...

first of all, I got myself a "700W Platinum" FLEX PSU from TaoBao which I already wanted to check out for some time now. Well, actually I ordered the 600W version but seems they didn't have stock and just send me the 700W for the same price. It is supposed to be a (more affordable) copy of ENHANCE, but well, let's see. I will prepare a more detailed review about the PSU later, but if you are interested, here is the link [click].

now back to the SMALL2 prototype build:

The design still needs a few tweaks but overall building in the case works as expected.

As you can see, besides having the option to mount two 2.5" (7mm high) SSDs/HDDs, the layout also allows you to use one 120 x 25mm fan to support GPU cooling and that works very well as we can see later...

In this picture I had the fans on my IS60EVO set as exhaust but changed back to intake later because that worked better for me. Guess with an NH-L12S exhaust could perform better...

the 120mm fan for the GPU can be offset by 5mm from the case to reduce turbulence / fan noise. I think those mounting holes could also be used for an 120mm radiator if going for an APU build.

a few details of the design:

thumb-screw GPU mounting

SSD/HDD & Riser Bracket:

motherboard stand-offs can be used to mount case feet for horizontal orientation:

CPU stress test with my 3800X (standard fan profile, ambient temp = 26C)

Result: 79C +/-1C

GPU stress test with my R9 Nano (standard fan profile, ambient temp = 26C)

Result: 65C +/-2C

overall I think the concept works pretty well and should provide a good cooling / noise performance even for 200W GPUs and 100W CPUs

Last edited:

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
Interested to see what you think of that Flex PSU. From what I understand, apparently the design of that PSU is "inspired by Enhance 7660B" but not made by Enhance themselves. Another problem is that they also advertise it as "7660B" and "7760B" which i am skeptical of and also doesn't help because Enhance doesn't even have that model number.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Interested to see what you think of that Flex PSU. From what I understand, apparently the design of that PSU is "inspired by Enhance 7660B" but not made by Enhance themselves. Another problem is that they also advertise it as "7660B" and "7760B" which i am skeptical of and also doesn't help because Enhance doesn't even have that model number.

I wanted to try it for a few days before opening it up and voiding warranty. What I can tell so far: if YTC is selling it usually means it's not total crap - but of course you can't expect the same quality like ENHANCE.

Noise wise it is silent in idle. During my benchmarks it didn't get loud or hot but the fan made a unpleasant high pitched sound. Not as loud as the coil wine coming from my R9 but I could clearly hear it.

I'll make a new thread with my experience in a few days.

If it performs well up to ~400W with a Noctua fan swap I'm ok. If not, I'll resurrect my idea of a MEANWELL to FLEX adapter.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Do you have an expected launch for this? I'd be very curious to see if a 120mm AIO with a slim fan could be put under a deshrouded itx card. That would be truly amazing.

I'd also happily volunteer to do some test builds as well :)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Do you have an expected launch for this? I'd be very curious to see if a 120mm AIO with a slim fan could be put under a deshrouded itx card. That would be truly amazing.

I'd also happily volunteer to do some test builds as well :)

I've send two beta unit cases out for powder coating today. Should get them back end of next week.

I don't think a normal AIO with dual slot ITX card would fit. maybe could do a small custom loop with an slim XSPC rad and 15mm fan. But I'll have to check.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
I've send two beta unit cases out for powder coating today. Should get them back end of next week.

I don't think a normal AIO with dual slot ITX card would fit. maybe could do a small custom loop with an slim XSPC rad and 15mm fan. But I'll have to check.

Nice, in any event, it's a super cool concept. Please do let me know if you need beta testers.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

hereforthefeast

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 25, 2019
So this is the idea of a similar case I had - move the ITX card so that it sits flat against the same panel as the mobo. In the now empty space where you would have had the ITX card and 70mm CPU cooler below it you fit a vertical 240mm rad. With a TX240 and slim fans and a low profile cpu block it could fit in close to the same width as the flex psu.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
So this is the idea of a similar case I had - move the ITX card so that it sits flat against the same panel as the mobo. In the now empty space where you would have had the ITX card and 70mm CPU cooler below it you fit a vertical 240mm rad. With a TX240 and slim fans and a low profile cpu block it could fit in close to the same width as the flex psu.

you mean like this? could work if I increase the volume to 7L. you would have to use an ALPHACOOL LT, 15mm fans and XSPC 20mm rad.

curious to see if a 120mm AIO with a slim fan could be put under a deshrouded itx card

so I checked again: currently only 33mm clearance below a normal ITX dual slot card and the tubes would be in the way with a normal AIO.

what could maybe work somehow: 1 to 1.2 slot card, XSPC rad and 15mm fan, but not sure how to route the tubes etc...

also possible: APU build with normal 120mm AIO instead of GPU

but on the other hand, a NH-L12S does not perform much worse than a budget 120mm AIO ;)

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Nice! Thanks for checking. I have an IS60 EVO that I could use, but wanted to give the a deshrouded PNY 1660s (1ish slots) a shot over it. From eyeball math, removing the single fan cooler gives about 20-22mm of clearance, which with the 33ish mm should be juuuuuuuust enough space for a 27mm rad and potentially a 25mm fan. Im sold on trying out the concept any in either event, so I'm definitely a buyer on the case. Thanks for posting the pics

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Nice! Thanks for checking. I have an IS60 EVO that I could use, but wanted to give the a deshrouded PNY 1660s (1ish slots) a shot over it. From eyeball math, removing the single fan cooler gives about 20-22mm of clearance, which with the 33ish mm should be juuuuuuuust enough space for a 27mm rad and potentially a 25mm fan. Im sold on trying out the concept any in either event, so I'm definitely a buyer on the case. Thanks for posting the pics

I'm happy to send you one of the first cases to try your ideas for a discount price. Probably needs some modding but I'm curious what you will build with it. :)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
the family is growing...

sample build with my 3800X and R9 Nano went really smooth... for the full build log please see updated first post...

Thermal and noise level test results:
  • 3800X with IS60EVO stress test: ΔT max. = 53°C
  • R9 Nano with 120 x 25mm case fan: ΔT max. = 43°C
Idle (background) noise: ~ 40.4 dBA @ 20cm

Combined Stress Test noise: ~ 44.8 dBA @ 20cm (note: FLEX PSU with Noctua Fan Mod)

Overall I am pretty satisfied how the SMALL2 turned out. How do you think?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
please identify the case to the left, of your soda can. your thinnest case.

this one is not for standard ITX components. here is the build log for that project: