Prototype RCC-SMALL2 | minimalistic 6L ITX console / slim tower case with NH-L12S support

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

REVOCCASES RCC-SMALL2 Specs:
  • Size: 363H x 183D x 89W (ca. 6L)
  • GPU Clearance: 180L x 135H x 68W
  • CPU Cooler Clearance: max. 71mm high
  • HDD/SSD Support: 2x 2.5" Drives, up to 9mm high
  • Case fan: 1x up to 120 x 25mm with two slot (40mm) GPU
  • Power Supply: FLEX ATX

Sample Build:

1) insert the screws for the (optional) case fan

2) use a piece of cardboard (or similar) to prevent the screws from falling out and place the fan spacers over the screws

3) put the fan in place and insert the stainless steel fan fasteners

4) tighten the screws

5) prepare your motherboard and install it in the case

6) install the power button, plug in the riser cable and SATA cable(s)

7) fix your SSDs/HDDs to the riser bracket

8) install your graphics card and insert the thumb screws (do not tighten them yet)

9) fix the riser bracket to the case

10) fix the riser to the bracket

11) now you can tighten the thumb screws to secure the GPU

12) plug in the cables for your SSDs/HDDs

13) get your FLEX PSU ready and put it in the case

14) time for some "cable management" before we can close the case

15) build complete - enjoy

Last edited:

Lbhati

Cable Smoosher
Feb 14, 2020
Which Pcie riser cable will you use? Instead of 120 mm fan that space can be used for 2.5"ssd/hdd

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Which Pcie riser cable will you use

Not yet decided. I have ordered one hard riser (PCB style) and a normal one with cables. Need to check which one works better.

Instead of 120 mm fan that space can be used for 2.5"ssd/hdd

Exactly. I was planning to offer an optional bracket to mount SSDs / HDDs there if you have a less powerful GPU and don't need that much cooling.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
You could flip the gpu and put the power supply behind gpu and save on case height. I actually had a similar idea lol

Good point. I thought about it but finally decided to go another way because:

• that would require a pretty long riser cable; given the PCIe Gen 4 issues and cost of those cables...
  • most console cases I know of would only support sub 50/60mm CPU coolers but I have one IS-60EVO which I would like to put in there
  • Given the "thickness" of the current layout I think I don't need a vertical stand

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Good point. I thought about it but finally decided to go another way because:

• that would require a pretty long riser cable; given the PCIe Gen 4 issues and cost of those cables...
  • most console cases I know of would only support sub 50/60mm CPU coolers but I have one IS-60EVO which I would like to put in there
  • Given the "thickness" of the current layout I think I don't need a vertical stand
Ok, I was thinking about leaving the same thickness, just lowering the height, saving on space above motherboard where psu is currently. Gen4 risers yeah, a mild annoyance but won't be relevant for itx gpus for a few generations.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Ok, I was thinking about leaving the same thickness, just lowering the height, saving on space above motherboard where psu is currently. Gen4 risers yeah, a mild annoyance but won't be relevant for itx gpus for a few generations.

Ah, ok. Seems I misunderstood. Indeed that would also be a nice layout. Guess I could even do this with the GPU at the current position by sacrificing the fan / SSD support.

As I understand the (current) problem with PCIe Gen 4 seems to be that motherboard manufacturers decided to use PCIe 4.0 as standard setting for their new boards. So if you didn't switch to PCIe 3.0 before building and use a PCIe 3.0 riser you could run into weird issues and might have to take your build apart just to change that setting. If you know this it's not really an big issue to use PCIe Gen 3 risers because performance gains are still negligible.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I really like the look of this. Are the 2x 40mm fans there to reduce the noise of the Flex ATX PSU?

Thanks.

The idea behind those fans was that they would help a bit cooling the FLEX by providing fresh air / or getting hot air out of the case fast (depending on the PSU fan orientation). could also imagine if someone doing some DIY air duct there.

But I'm not yet sure if it really helps. Most FLEX PSUs don't have temperature controlled fans but adjust the fan speed according to the load. For those PSUs it wouldn't make a difference noise wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
Nice! I'm definitely a fan of this form factor.

In the same vein as riba's render is Lazer3D's ST8 concept which is the same except it's an sfx psu instead of flex.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Here it is, something like this, it could be around than 4.5 - 5 L or so:

Thanks. Definitely more space efficient.

My only concern would be the thermals / noise of the FLEX unit sitting so near to the GPU. The back of the GPU can get pretty toasty and I think it's likely that hot air from the GPU gets sucked in from the FLEX unless the PSU fan is intake (mostly it's exhaust).

Maybe I'll make two designs and prototypes to check out which layout works better.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Thanks. Definitely more space efficient.

My only concern would be the thermals / noise of the FLEX unit sitting so near to the GPU. The back of the GPU can get pretty toasty and I think it's likely that hot air from the GPU gets sucked in from the FLEX unless the PSU fan is intake (mostly it's exhaust).

Maybe I'll make two designs and prototypes to check out which layout works better.
If the FLEX PSU fan is intake, then the fan might suck in GPU hot air exhausted from the rear IO. Not too desirable.

So, how about flipping the FLEX PSU 180 degree upside down? This orientation will have the PSU side panel (having the openings for air intake) facing away from the GPU back and faces the side panel of the case (which, of course, will have openings for air pass through).

Reactions: riba2233

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
Hmm I have never seen a Flex PSU that has a intake fan at the rear. All of them are exhaust from what I have seen. I have only seen intake fan if its placed in the front of the PSU.

Reactions: sos and riba2233

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
pictures tell more than words so...

@prayogahs you are right, most FLEX PSUs would exhaust out of the case (no matter where the fan is). But I made the experience with my Metalfish S3 that the PSU would run more quiet and cool if I flipped the fan and have it suck in fresh air from outside. This effect may vary though depending on which PSU is used / how the fan speed is controlled.

for ITX GPUs I think the situation is clear and they would always exhaust to the front and the rear due to the fin orientation

now here is what I had in mind with the layout I was planning for (let me know if that makes any sense):
  • fan under the GPU: some ITX GPUs can get quite noisy so this could help a bit, maybe even allow for de-shroud / semi passive and relying on the 120mm case fan only. Hot air would exit the case from front vent slots and back
  • NH-L12S, IS-60EVO or similar as exhaust: fresh air would enter the case from front and back
  • FLEX: fresh air would enter the case from the front (with optional 2x 40mm fans) and exhaust from the back

@riba2233 's idea (I slightly modified it below) would safe me about 1L case volume but as I said I have a few concerns. Not sure if those are justified but here is what I think:
  • the case will have vent slots on the front of course but I think some hot air from the GPU will still be sucked in by the FLEX
  • the back of my R9 Nano can easily hit 70C to 80C, no matter how I flip or place the PSU in this layout, I think GPU and PSU thermals might influence each other unless I consider some larger "safety distance" between them
  • in this layout I would have to drop the idea of using case fans

Considering that tiny 40mm fan on those FLEX PSUs I just feel bad if it has to deal with any more heat than necessary. As we all know, caps are sensitive to heat and as lower the temperature the longer your PSU will last.

My aim for this project is not the "worlds smallest" ITX / FLEX case - we already have good cases there - but hopefully one of the coolest / more silent ones at an acceptable size.

Let me know what you think. :)

Reactions: riba2233

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Pic does say a thousand words, so....

I am using Enhance ENP 7660B to illustrate (as I think, not too sure though, that the Huntkey might not be as popular). Make sense or do I miss something?

PS Or, have the C16 faces the other direction (ie toward the back)?

Last edited:
Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Pic does say a thousand words, so....

I am using Enhance ENP 7660B to illustrate (as I think, not too sure though, that the Huntkey might not be as popular). Make sense or do I miss something?

PS Or, have the C16 faces the other direction (ie toward the back)?

makes sense but having the AC connector inside would probably require to make the case about 10mm deeper to accommodate the cables and I need to find some space to place that AC pigtail cable... finally I wouldn't safe too much volume I guess

as you noted, having direct access to the AC socket at the back of the case would be better I think

edit: the Huntkey is indeed not popular but some people buy modded FLEX server PSUs. Some do not have those openings like your Enhance. I am thinking of the DPS-500AB for example.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Today I tweaked my original layout a bit to make better use of the 6L volume...

Major change is a bracket over the GPU which will hold the riser cable (PCB riser didn't work out). This bracket also allow you to mount two 2.5" / 7mm drives.

I dropped the two 40mm fan mounts in front of the PSU and made the whole front very well ventilated instead.