Radeon VII or RX 5700XT

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
So I know the 5700XT is still about a week away, but I'm so conflicted by heaps of different info I've been reading etc.

So, given what we know about the card, it's 225W blower style card, I really like the design of both the 5700XT and the Radeon VII, price for me isn't an issue and I'm not interested in moving to an NVIDIA card.

So in the Dan case, am I likely to get better temps with a 225W blower card or the 3 fan RVII?

I know the RVII runs hot and I know blowers generally run hotter, but by how much usually? And would the 5700XT blower run hot enough to just consider moving to a RVII instead?

I'll be pairing it with 3700X (maybe 3900X if temps would allow for it?) And either the black ridge or cryorig C7G cooler.

TIA ?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
5700XT is a 8GB 2070 competitor costing $450.

Radeon VII is a 16GB 2080 competitor costing $700 that also has made inroads into production workloads.

We're talking two completely different classes of cards here.

Ok...I own a Dan A4-SFX. I've run both a GeForce 980TI blower (250 Watt TDP) and a GTX 770 axial fan (230 Watt) TDP. Due to the design of the case, both cards got fresh air easily. The 770 with axial fans though will heat up the case substantially more than the 980ti blower, which dumps waste heat out the back onto my cat because she won't stop sitting behind the computer and shedding all over it!! But I digress...

The design of the A4-SFX does a good job of separating components with metal barriers that work like heatshields. That said, I would not bottom mount a HD with the axial cooler in place as the heat will be blowing directly onto it. Another possible issue may be any rear mounted M2 SSDs. I haven't tested it, but it's something to look out for.

Blowers can be louder, but the Radeon VII isn't quiet anyway. Probably a wash.

IF IT WERE ME: I would get the Radeon VII for the better performance. However, if there were a blower version, I would choose that.

Reactions: Dazr87

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
5700XT is a 8GB 2070 competitor costing $450.

Radeon VII is a 16GB 2080 competitor costing $700 that also has made inroads into production workloads.

We're talking two completely different classes of cards here.

Ok...I own a Dan A4-SFX. I've run both a GeForce 980TI blower (250 Watt TDP) and a GTX 770 axial fan (230 Watt) TDP. Due to the design of the case, both cards got fresh air easily. The 770 with axial fans though will heat up the case substantially more than the 980ti blower, which dumps waste heat out the back onto my cat because she won't stop sitting behind the computer and shedding all over it!! But I digress...

The design of the A4-SFX does a good job of separating components with metal barriers that work like heatshields. That said, I would not bottom mount a HD with the axial cooler in place as the heat will be blowing directly onto it. Another possible issue may be any rear mounted M2 SSDs. I haven't tested it, but it's something to look out for.

Blowers can be louder, but the Radeon VII isn't quiet anyway. Probably a wash.

IF IT WERE ME: I would get the Radeon VII for the better performance. However, if there were a blower version, I would choose that.
Perfect. Thanks for that, it's just the kind of info I was hoping for. It seems easy enough to keep the RVII in check with temps and noise with a few small tweaks as far as I've seen. And I guess the 5700XT, altho new and using a newer architecture, still isn't gonna have nothing over the RVII right?

I'll also be using only an SSD in the front and also front mounted m.2 ?

Vrekgar

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2019
Your correct. the 5700xt is no faster than the Rad7.

But in a case like the Dan, I really wouldn't suggest something like a axial fan because you want some way to get hot air out. But your mileage may vary.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Just a follow up: Seems the 5700XT can match the R7 in most games.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Performance wise they are very close, price wise not even close. I would just wait for the vendor cards to show up with better coolers.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Performance wise they are very close, price wise not even close. I would just wait for the vendor cards to show up with better coolers.

GN did a nice mod where they added washers to get the cooler to make better contact. It seems AMD has had some issues getting their coolers to actually make contact with the GPU/Memory dies. This isn't limited to their own designs though as power color had issue with VEGA.

I don't mind the blower coolers. I actually wish companies would start making triple slot versions.

I'm more impressed by the 5700 then the 5700XT. I really want to see what they can do if they can bump Navi up to 64 or more "cores" so to speak.

We're at an interesting point right now with GPU performance. Consoles have reached their peak for this generation, and developers haven't pushed much past it. Because of this, 4 year old GPUs like the 980TI and even 970 can still run modern games at 1440 and 1080 respectively. When the new consoles drop though with 8 Core Zen 2s and NAVI+Ray Tracing its going to change the game a lot.

Vrekgar

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2019
Also saw a thread on reddit linking to a german tomshardware article where you can use the registry to alter the power play tables and enable the card to boost up to 2.3ish ghz and set the power target to like +90% as well as alter how much voltage the die is given.

With that modding it matches the 2080fe. Although I wouldn't suggest that on a blower card, maybe when aftermarket cards roll out.