(Need Advice) Ryzen 3800X/3900X/3950X

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
I'm going to be building in the DAN A4-SFX v4 pretty soon (7/7 or later, for obviously reasons)...

I have the Alpenfohn Black Ridge CPU cooler and I'm still undecided on the Radeon VII or the RX 5700 XT. I dont play competitive or PvP games, so 60+ FPS is fine for me.

Also I dont mind fan noise much at all, my current laptop goes nuts when gaming and I play with my speakers fairly loud anyways, so noise isnt a huge factor for me, unless its going to sound like a jet engine!

The reason is I wouldnt mind getting into streaming, so I was thinking the extra cores could help?

My questions though...

1 - Could I potentially limit the 105W TDP of the 3800X/3900X/3950X down to either 95W, which is the TDP rating of the cooler, or even down to 65W TDP which is in line with 2700/3700X?

2 - If I do limit the TDP to either 65W or 95W, does that come at any sort of major performance cost?

3 - Are there any other potential issues I could run into by doing this? High temps? crazy loud fan noise?

4 - Are any of the potential issues worth doing this cTDP or would it be better to stick to the 3700X?

5 - With any of these CPUs, for my gaming needs as above, would I be better off not going overkill on the Radeon VII and getting the RX 5700 XT instead?

Cheers! ? ?

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
If you are already fine with the 8 cores of the 3800X then you should probably just get the 3700X and possibly try to overclock. You could also probably buy the 3800X and undervolt, but why not save $70 and buy the 65 watt part in the first place?

Reactions: Dazr87

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
If you are already fine with the 8 cores of the 3800X then you should probably just get the 3700X and possibly try to overclock. You could also probably buy the 3800X and undervolt, but why not save $70 and buy the 65 watt part in the first place?
I guess just exploring all options and get opinions etc. See what people think ?

3700X I'd be fine with. Just wasn't sure if it would be worth trying to futureproof somewhat by going for the higher core count or not

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
If you don't mind spending extra for a small return on investment and larger longterm possibilities, get the 3950x. Then, disable SMT/multi threading, limit the chip to a more comfortable 95w and use it as a 16c/16t monster. If you ever feel that's not enough, simply improve the cooling and turn SMT back on.

Pros:
Better max performance
Better performance than any 8c/16t or 12c/24t processor due to it using 16 full power cores

Cons:
Paying extra for a lot of unused threads
Probably don't need 16c, let alone 32t
Cooling will be a challenge even with SMT off

I'd probably recomend using the above strategy but on a 3900x. You'd likely get the best of both worlds without sacrificing too much in any one area

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
If you don't mind spending extra for a small return on investment and larger longterm possibilities, get the 3950x. Then, disable SMT/multi threading, limit the chip to a more comfortable 95w and use it as a 16c/16t monster. If you ever feel that's not enough, simply improve the cooling and turn SMT back on.

Pros:
Better max performance
Better performance than any 8c/16t or 12c/24t processor due to it using 16 full power cores

Cons:
Paying extra for a lot of unused threads
Probably don't need 16c, let alone 32t
Cooling will be a challenge even with SMT off

I'd probably recomend using the above strategy but on a 3900x. You'd likely get the best of both worlds without sacrificing too much in any one area
Wow that's just the kind of info I was looking for.

So, I could just grab a Cryorig C7g which is in stock locally. It's the Graphene coated version and has a rating of 125W TDP, but still limit to 95W, if that would help? Instead of using the Black Ridge. I'd be happy to pay the extra and make the slight sacrifice if it means I'm covered for the longer term.

I was also advised to maybe use a 4800rpm intake fan below the motherboard and possibly on the cooler, I found this: https://www.newegg.com/delta-afc0912d-pwm-case-fan/p/N82E16835706035

Would this work with a B450 or X470 mini itx? Or would I have to look at getting the x570? If I were to use either of the Ryzen 9 CPUs.

Cheers, appreciate the help

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Wow that's just the kind of info I was looking for.

So, I could just grab a Cryorig C7g which is in stock locally. It's the Graphene coated version and has a rating of 125W TDP, but still limit to 95W, if that would help? Instead of using the Black Ridge. I'd be happy to pay the extra and make the slight sacrifice if it means I'm covered for the longer term.

I was also advised to maybe use a 4800rpm intake fan below the motherboard and possibly on the cooler, I found this: https://www.newegg.com/delta-afc0912d-pwm-case-fan/p/N82E16835706035

Would this work with a B450 or X470 mini itx? Or would I have to look at getting the x570? If I were to use either of the Ryzen 9 CPUs.

Cheers, appreciate the help
Blackridge should be fine, but if you insist on a c7 I'll gladly get rid of it for you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (hell, I'd trade you a 92mm aio for it if shipping wasn't going to be such a pain)

Putting a 4800rpm fan in your rig will immediately ramp up the sound well beyond what most consider usable, I'd advise against it. Be quiet! noctua and noiseblocker all have great options in the 1500-2500rpm range that I would look into first (also, can the dancase take a full 25mm thick fan down there? Thought it was slim only)

X570 boards are probably a good idea, minimum of say is an x470 one

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Blackridge should be fine, but if you insist on a c7 I'll gladly get rid of it for you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (hell, I'd trade you a 92mm aio for it if shipping wasn't going to be such a pain)

Putting a 4800rpm fan in your rig will immediately ramp up the sound well beyond what most consider usable, I'd advise against it. Be quiet! noctua and noiseblocker all have great options in the 1500-2500rpm range that I would look into first (also, can the dancase take a full 25mm thick fan down there? Thought it was slim only)

X570 boards are probably a good idea, minimum of say is an x470 one
Yeah I think it is actually slim fans only below.

I did look at the af9-14 fans I think which were also recommended.

Haha so the Black ridge is actually fairly decent then is it?

Yeah I'll see if the x570 aorus or Asus fits the Black ridge, not sure about removing the chipset or m.2 heatsinks on them given they apparently can get quite toasty lol if it's good to remove the m.2 heatsink tho, I'll replace that with a sn750 heatsink model NVMe drive. Failing x570, I'll grab the Asus x470 one then.

So it's not too crazy and unrealistic to stick a 3950X in this then? Haha

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018

Yeah I'll see if the x570 aorus or Asus fits the Black ridge, not sure about removing the chipset or m.2 heatsinks on them given they apparently can get quite toasty lol if it's good to remove the m.2 heatsink tho, I'll replace that with a sn750 heatsink model NVMe drive. Failing x570, I'll grab the Asus x470 one then.

The blackridge is probably the best aircooler for the dancase because it was designed for the dancase, although it can't keep up with the 92mm aios (especially in bursts)

The a9x14 fans are wonderful as well, I have uhh, 4 of them? :p definitely the best lp 92mm fan I've used

And I really wouldn't be that worried about the nvme drives

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
The blackridge is probably the best aircooler for the dancase because it was designed for the dancase, although it can't keep up with the 92mm aios (especially in bursts)

The a9x14 fans are wonderful as well, I have uhh, 4 of them? :p definitely the best lp 92mm fan I've used

And I really wouldn't be that worried about the nvme drives
Sweet. I might just go for it, live on the edge haha. Worst that can happen is I need to downgrade the CPU coz I can't keep things cool enough. Money isn't a huge deal, I don't mind spending a bit more or losing out slightly if I need to resell, plus if it means I'm pretty much ready for the next maybe 10 years and possibly only need to upgrade the mobo or cooler at some point in future, I can't see why it would be a bad idea?

Last edited:
Reactions: Damascus

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Jun 6, 2019

I don't know if you are aware, when using the Black Ridge you will need low profile rams, and if you decide to use a noctua 120mm fan on the Black Ridge, you'll need very low profile rams. Just in case you didn't know.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Best performance with 120mm fan. Not only it'll cool your proc, but it'll also cool your VRM, your RAM and your NVMe SSD!!

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
I don't know if you are aware, when using the Black Ridge you will need low profile rams, and if you decide to use a noctua 120mm fan on the Black Ridge, you'll need very low profile rams. Just in case you didn't know.
Yeah I'll be using Corsair Vengeance LPX which fits fine with 92mm fan ?

Reactions: 91Mackmr2

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Best performance with 120mm fan. Not only it'll cool your proc, but it'll also cool your VRM, your RAM and your NVMe SSD!!
Can't find any decent VLP ram tho, max I've found is 2400 I think. I'll stick with the 92mm fan and the LPX 3200 ram ?

Reactions: 91Mackmr2

wallysimmonds

Caliper Novice
Nov 30, 2018
I should probably take this to another thread, but isn't Ryzen 2 particularly sensitive to RAM speeds? I'd be looking at 3200 SODIMMS at a minimum personally.
I'm running the Dancase myself and am likely looking at a 3700x to replace my 2600, and since I have 2133 RAM at the moment, also looking to upgrade.

I'll be very interested to see how people get along with these higher performing chips in this case, I'm running a L9i and have been impressed with the noise/temps (I'm not OCing). I'd prefer to keep it, but I'm assuming I'll be limited to 65W

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
I should probably take this to another thread, but isn't Ryzen 2 particularly sensitive to RAM speeds? I'd be looking at 3200 SODIMMS at a minimum personally.
I'm running the Dancase myself and am likely looking at a 3700x to replace my 2600, and since I have 2133 RAM at the moment, also looking to upgrade.

I'll be very interested to see how people get along with these higher performing chips in this case, I'm running a L9i and have been impressed with the noise/temps (I'm not OCing). I'd prefer to keep it, but I'm assuming I'll be limited to 65W
I though there also was a minimum ram speed too, but I'm not all that clued up on ram speeds, so I don't know what the limits are. I'll stick with LPX tho. I'd prefer to get all parts locally incase of any issues.