GPU Quietest GTX 1650 LP?

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
I'm appraising the GTX 1650 LP options out there, but haven't seen much comment on acoustics?

Anecdotally it seems like the Zotac might be the loudest. I've read some favourable opinions on the Asus card, this looks like the only offering with a 0 RPM mode as well.

Any advice, experience or opinions gratefully received. Thank you.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm appraising the GTX 1650 LP options out there, but haven't seen much comment on acoustics?

Anecdotally it seems like the Zotac might be the loudest. I've read some favourable opinions on the Asus card, this looks like the only offering with a 0 RPM mode as well.

Any advice, experience or opinions gratefully received. Thank you.
I'd get 2 fans + zero RPM mode.

Though, most people who don't like the noise just remove the fan and put a bigger one on it.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
The only real objective comparison i've seen so far is from a Dutch magazine that tested the MSI 1050ti LP, the Gigabyte 1050ti LP and the KFA 1050ti LP. The coolers remained the same on the 1650 afaik. They tested the stock fan profile.

Noise in idle (which is the lowest the fan will go afaik, even with custom fan profiles):

1612378041341.png

Noise at load:

1612378063651.png

Temperature at load:

1612378355703.png
1612378342393.png

Temperature normalized at 40dB(A), without the KFA because the lowest fan speed was still higher than 40dB(A):

1612378117097.png

I do own the MSI 1050ti LP myself and found the stock fan noisy at idle. I replaced them with two 80mm fans and now it's inaudible and cool even at full load. Most low profile computer cases allow this so I would recommend it to anyone who considers a low profile GPU.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
I have the Zotac and it performs beautifully with a deshroud mod. you can also get a 2 pin to PWM adapter to connect to the onboard fan header to run a couple of fans. I've got J-Hack's Pure X and run the card with a pair of scythe 80x10 mm fans. Idles at like 22C and load is in the 50s

AlfaLord

Case Bender
New User
Feb 4, 2021
Have you considered an analog in the form of a GTX 1650 SUPER?As the owner of this card, I can say that it practically does not make noise.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
[removed by moderator]
This is not a low profile card, which is what the OP asked about.

OP: I've got the ASUS 1650 LP and it has a zero RPM fan mod, so it is very quiet at idle. I haven't done too much gaming on it, because it is my LAN party machine and no LAN parties due to the plague.

Last edited by a moderator:

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks all, very much appreciated.

I'd get 2 fans + zero RPM mode.

Though, most people who don't like the noise just remove the fan and put a bigger one on it.
With the Pure Mk2 images are you using 80x10mm fans on your card or deeper? Just wondering whether NF-A8s at 80x25 might be too deep to fit. NF-A9x14 might be an option instead?

The only real objective comparison i've seen so far is from a Dutch magazine that tested the MSI 1050ti LP, the Gigabyte 1050ti LP and the KFA 1050ti LP. The coolers remained the same on the 1650 afaik. They tested the stock fan profile.

Noise in idle (which is the lowest the fan will go afaik, even with custom fan profiles):

View attachment 964

Noise at load:

View attachment 965

Temperature at load:

View attachment 968
View attachment 967

Temperature normalized at 40dB(A), without the KFA because the lowest fan speed was still higher than 40dB(A):

View attachment 966

I do own the MSI 1050ti LP myself and found the stock fan noisy at idle. I replaced them with two 80mm fans and now it's inaudible and cool even at full load. Most low profile computer cases allow this so I would recommend it to anyone who considers a low profile GPU.
Thanks, that's good to know - I was looking at the MSI and Gigabyte before but I think the 0 RPM mode cards have turned my head! With your fan mod are you running it off the GPU header? I read this might be possible with a PWM to VGA cable. I'm guessing that allows the card native control of the fan speed, provided the PCI slot can provide enough juice.

I have the Zotac and it performs beautifully with a deshroud mod. you can also get a 2 pin to PWM adapter to connect to the onboard fan header to run a couple of fans. I've got J-Hack's Pure X and run the card with a pair of scythe 80x10 mm fans. Idles at like 22C and load is in the 50s
Thanks - looks like Scythe have discontinued their 80x10mm fans unfortunately, I'll have to see what other options are out there. I'm building in the Pure Mk2 so it'll be a little smaller than the Pure X. Is that using the VGA to PWM adapter I've heard about? For those kinds of temps alone sounds like its well worth the mod.

Have you considered an analog in the form of a GTX 1650 SUPER?As the owner of this card, I can say that it practically does not make noise.
I'll need a low profile card to fit my case, 40mm max height I beleive. Looks like the jury's on on whether we'll get a LP 30 series.

This is not a low profile card, which is what the OP asked about.

OP: I've got the ASUS 1650 LP and it has a zero RPM fan mod, so it is very quiet at idle. I haven't done too much gaming on it, because it is my LAN party machine and no LAN parties due to the plague.
I think I saw your post on Reddit, was that mod with the Coolermaster fan? I'm assuming you're using a VGA to PWM adapter, haven't experienced any issues? The heatsink looks hefty.

It's all a bit of a brave new world for me, when I did my last build AGP was a thing. My Geforce 2 didn't have any fans XD

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Thanks - looks like Scythe have discontinued their 80x10mm fans unfortunately, I'll have to see what other options are out there. I'm building in the Pure Mk2 so it'll be a little smaller than the Pure X. Is that using the VGA to PWM adapter I've heard about? For those kinds of temps alone sounds like its well worth the mod.
It is using a 2 pin VGA to PWM adapter and you can grab the slim 80mms here. If I'm not mistaken, the mk2 uses 60mm fans rather than 80. Gelid Silent 6s might be something check out if that's the case.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
I linked the converter I used above I believe. I'm not entirely certain as the Hachis im using are PWM, but if I'm not mistaken I think the card lacks pwm control. I have a pair of silent 6s I can hook up to the card on my test bench. I'll run it sometime this week and get you an informed answer.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks all, very much appreciated.

With the Pure Mk2 images are you using 80x10mm fans on your card or deeper? Just wondering whether NF-A8s at 80x25 might be too deep to fit. NF-A9x14 might be an option instead?

Thanks, that's good to know - I was looking at the MSI and Gigabyte before but I think the 0 RPM mode cards have turned my head! With your fan mod are you running it off the GPU header? I read this might be possible with a PWM to VGA cable. I'm guessing that allows the card native control of the fan speed, provided the PCI slot can provide enough juice.

I'll need a low profile card to fit my case, 40mm max height I beleive. Looks like the jury's on on whether we'll get a LP 30 series.

I think I saw your post on Reddit, was that mod with the Coolermaster fan? I'm assuming you're using a VGA to PWM adapter, haven't experienced any issues? The heatsink looks hefty.

It's all a bit of a brave new world for me, when I did my last build AGP was a thing. My Geforce 2 didn't have any fans XD

I used the cooler master fans on my older Gigabyte 1050ti low profile, not my newer ASUS 1650 low profile. The old Gigabyte did not have a zero RPM fan mode, but my new ASUS does. So far I haven't felt the need to do the fan mod with the ASUS as it is quiet enough and I don't use it all that much.