Question in regards to fans in DAN C4-SFX

Shamatix

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Jun 21, 2023
Hi there,
So I am about to build the following build:

The reasoning I am on here is because I've seen a couple of similar builds in the same case running a 92mm fan at the Noctua NH-D12L as seen on for example:

I guess my main question is whether or not I should do it?
What makes me question the choice is mainly the fact of the temps.
In the above example the guy has posted his temps being significantly higher than for example this guy who doesn't run a 92mm fan?

What are your suggestions and what is the reasoning behind a build having an extra fan being hotter than one without? Is it a good or a bad idea to have this 92mm fan?

Best regards

ackrite26

Chassis Packer
Jan 20, 2023
The one without a 92mm fan does not state the ambient temperature. If I remember correctly Dan said there is not much of a difference using one or not. He actually suggested not to use a 92mm on the rear as it may cause unwanted noise due to turbulence.

reteip

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 26, 2023
I'm runnig more or less the same setup with the same cpu, cooler and case. My cpu idles around 47c. Decided to add a noctua 92mm fan and so far I noticed little decrease in temps (2-3c less). Noise has increased a lot, probably because of turbulence created by the shape of the mounting point. Outside of the case the fan runs silent. I'll probably remove it :)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
It is impossible to thermally compare the 2 systems as the main heat producing components (ie CPU, mobo, GPU) and the cooling component (ie fans) are different. Even if they are exactly the same, one must also know the fan speed curve, CPU voltage and power settings and the games being played...etc

As already mentioned above, it is thermal benefit to the CPU vs acoustic detriment. It is a trade-off.

I suggest you first build the system without and see if you are happy with the result. If not, then you can try adding the rear fan. There is no real need to have everything all in one go.