question about Dan A4 4.1 riser cable/usb port

Flying Hippo

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 8, 2021
First Post!
Hello, I just ebayed a Dan A4 V4.1 However I'm not sure if it's the correct version. THe box and sticker on the back says V4.1 but the riser cable is black, which makes me think that it is not an actual PCIe x16 Gen4 riser that is supposed to come with the V4.1. Am I correct in thinking that all of the PCIe gen4 cables that shipped with the V4.1 cases were white? Also is there any clear way of telling whether or not the USB port is USB 3.2 gen2 by looking at it? Unfortunately I don't have any peripherals to test the the port out.
Thanks!
Pete

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
My A4 v4.1 came with 3M riser cable which has silver coating so definitely not black. You can look up front USB cable connector and check against your case. Also if your case front USB port is type C then it should be v4.1. Just shoot Dan / your retailer a support email otherwise

Flying Hippo

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 8, 2021
Thanks for the reply.

In this thread Dan has stated that "There is no black version of this cable." so I'm pretty confident I got screwed.

As far as the USB port,

V4.1 has a USB 3.2 gen2 Type-C
V4.0 has a USB 3.1 gen2 Type-C

To me they look the same. If anyone can tell the difference by looking at it let me know.

The cable in the case I have has USB 3.1 printed on it which probably translates to USB 3.2 gen 2, but there are 3 naming USB naming conventions (because so who knows. I'm thinking the guy who sold it to me swapped the riser cable from a V4.0 and stuck it in a V4.1 case. I'm just wondering if he did the same with the USB front panel adapter too.

I paid under $250 USD for the case so I don't feel I got robbed too badly assuming it's genuinely USB 3.2 gen 2 If I buy a 3M riser cable, that puts me at about $330USD for the case. I guess that isn't too bad considering list price at overclockers.co is 200pounds (about $280USD + shipping), and it's sold out currently.

So once I get a replacement riser cable from digikey it will be fine. I'm just wondering how much I should try to complain to the seller on ebay about it.

Reactions: thelaughingman

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
This is the riser that does come with the v4:

This is the riser that does come with the v4.1: