"Quaver Handle" Idea

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017

I generally would never even consider having a handle on my case as having a permanent handle, although it may be practical when moving the case, takes up space and is just a bit ugly. A solution would be to screw on and screw off a handle but that is both time consuming, and requires screw holes and screws...

So, I was looking at a case with a handle, infact it was the Cerberus that Kimera Industries is making (sweet case btw) and a thought struck me, "Why not just make it so you can slide the handle out?". My mind responded instantly "but what if it slid out, you wouldn't want to smash up your £500 PC because your lazy..."

This is the solution I came up with, what I've literally just now nicknamed a "Quaver Handle" (after the musical note, not the crisps, technically a beamed double quaver I believe but that's not as catchy). Essentially, a normal handle with two horizontal protrusions which have a bump in the top side, you slide them in and the bumps fit in matching recesses in the case, the weight of the case pulls down ensuring it can't come off the bumps preventing your case from sliding out the handle when being carried, but allowing the handle to easily be removed without the use of any tools or effort when it's resting on a side...

I would love to know what thoughts you guys have, I'd also be intrigued as to how thick the metal for the two horizontal pieces would have to be to not be damaged when taking the weight of the case.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very interesting idea. I'd think the handle would be an expensive part to make due to sheer thickness and especially if using beveled edges, which is one of @Aibohphobia 's pet peeves: have an ergonomic handle. Anyway, the design of the handle you are showing here, requires a specific design of the top part of the case to allow it to stay seated. Maybe the project you are planning already fits this design well, so it might be a better fit.

The thinnest portion does indeed need to be a certain thickness to sustain the weight, because the tension and force won't be on the entire handle or even the tabs, but the point where the handle and tabs intersect. This will all depend on the materials and case weight ofcourse, but to do it exactly like the drawing would mean it would need to be steel anyway. You could reinforce it considerably with flanges, maybe one running accross the middle of the tabs. But then you could also keep it a 2D part and just make the tabs thicker.

But coming back to the price part: if the handle is going to be an expensive part anyway due to milling, I'd try and find a solution that would limit the needed parts on the case to be just two beefy screw sockets and have some kind heavy duty large thumbscrews attach to it from the top of the handle.

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Very interesting idea. I'd think the handle would be an expensive part to make due to sheer thickness and especially if using beveled edges, which is one of @Aibohphobia 's pet peeves: have an ergonomic handle. Anyway, the design of the handle you are showing here, requires a specific design of the top part of the case to allow it to stay seated. Maybe the project you are planning already fits this design well, so it might be a better fit.

The thinnest portion does indeed need to be a certain thickness to sustain the weight, because the tension and force won't be on the entire handle or even the tabs, but the point where the handle and tabs intersect. This will all depend on the materials and case weight ofcourse, but to do it exactly like the drawing would mean it would need to be steel anyway. You could reinforce it considerably with flanges, maybe one running accross the middle of the tabs. But then you could also keep it a 2D part and just make the tabs thicker.

But coming back to the price part: if the handle is going to be an expensive part anyway due to milling, I'd try and find a solution that would limit the needed parts on the case to be just two beefy screw sockets and have some kind heavy duty large thumbscrews attach to it from the top of the handle.
Interesting input. Realistically for an ergonomic handle it makes sense to have plastic around the metal where you will hold it. Using a plastic which deforms at a lower temperature could reduce price in making it ergonomic, although I think I wouldn't mind just a cylindrical tube if I were carrying the case. The handle would be used for specially designed case(s) and/or have an attachment which can add the same slide in part to an existing case which fastens a handle via screws perhaps...

Perhaps simply a triangle shaped plate of metal welded/brazed onto the middle or edges of the intersection between the tabs and handle might be enough to reinforce it?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
IIRC, some cases have cloth carry bags so that you don't have to worry about the handle interfering with the design! :) I do think that this is an interesting solution, however.

Reactions: LjSpike and zovc

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
I'm beginning to learn FreeCAD so I can properly design my own custom case which I may make when I upgrade my PC. I am considering perhaps applying a system similar to this. although with how the case I've come up is set up I'll have to make some changes (like perhaps rotating the tabs 90 degrees)

Reactions: Biowarejak

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Probably easier to design and attach a handle that folds down when not in use or use a nylon web harness with a handle.

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Oh! I've actually got a Picatinny rail modeled up.
Oh cool. Had to search what that was first when you said it ;P I can't quite see how it manages to fasten anything to it solidly without using screws?

I think I've worked out how to do my system from single thickness sheet metal (probably steel) although that does sacrifice a tad on looks. For the side sliding in version I'm going to see about to see about curling the tabs back on themselves adding maybe a few seconds onto attaching the handle. It'd then just add a 2nd level of safety to it, although it would add a bit onto the depth of the system.

I may post a picture of another SketchUp CAD at some point here.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ah yeah, It's a system meant for soldiers to mount optics and the like to their weapons - so it uses screws. But you can do it with thumbscrews, which is nice :) But yeah, this is a good place to post pictures to get feedback on your design.

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Ah yeah, It's a system meant for soldiers to mount optics and the like to their weapons - so it uses screws. But you can do it with thumbscrews, which is nice :) But yeah, this is a good place to post pictures to get feedback on your design.

All same thickness sheets that could be made out of (whatever thickness it is made from) with the reinforcing sheets being welded or brazed onto the main sheet which would be bent...

There may be some benefit as to more bumps or less bumps, I simply chose 2 bumps for the sake of it really. The whole of the lower strip of metal is then reinforced as that is where deformation is least wanted really as the weight is trying to pull that down quite a bit, and even if the top is pulled down a bit it doesn't prevent the handle from holding onto the case. The gap between the reinforcements of the top/bottom could hold a metal sheet / rod within the case.

To slide it out of the case you would have to slid it a bit down, then to the left (if looking at screen), down a bit again and then straight out to the right. Sliding in would be the inverse. The disadvantage over this version is it isn't perhaps as compact in space as the previous one, removing 1 bump and as a result shortening the tab could improve some space used up, but overall it doesn't need to be a particularly huge component I don't think.

The reason I decided for the fold over in this one is I'm imagining this version would slide in from the side of the case, rather than utilising a couple of holes in the top, the holes would be in the side, which presents more risk of the case falling if knocked. Although it is a few movements to attach and remove this version, I suspect it'd still be quicker than using screws or thumbscrews, taking probably only seconds to actually attach and detach (I think I could probably do it in 2 to 5 seconds). I'd also say it's a bit cool too, when you and your friends are packing up from a LAN party and while they're trying to find the missing thumbscrews you just slide it in and walk out. :p

I'd need to work out the required metal thickness(es), it'd undoubtedly be steel (titanium I do believe is still relatively costly these days), unless there is another low-cost suitably strong metal / alloy. I think the top of the bumps would probably have a small rubber pad fitted to protect the metal and as a side effect also increase the friction on the top. Any number of simple handle styles could be fitted, the metal sheet could just be a n shape of the sheet metal, curled on itself to act as a sort of bar to hold onto.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Well, if It works the way I think it does, then the benfit of more bumps is an increase in friction along the travel path it slides in and out of. I like that, but I half-wonder if you would need some additional retention mechanism to keep the handle from sliding out? Maybe you remove the hypothetical front cover, slide the handle on, and then re-install the front cover?

-EDIT-

There's a better way to do it than that, certainly. Honestly though it all depends on the handle design you're going for.

-EDIT 2-

Why not just self-retaining thumbscrews? o_O

Last edited:

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Well, if It works the way I think it does, then the benfit of more bumps is an increase in friction along the travel path it slides in and out of. I like that, but I half-wonder if you would need some additional retention mechanism to keep the handle from sliding out? Maybe you remove the hypothetical front cover, slide the handle on, and then re-install the front cover?

-EDIT-

There's a better way to do it than that, certainly. Honestly though it all depends on the handle design you're going for.

The bumps aren't frictional in how they work.
To use this handle with a case, the case would have to have recesses/inlets that match the positions of the bumps, when your carrying your case, the bumps and inlets are pressed together, this prevents any sideways sliding of the handle, thus preventing it from coming out. When you put the case down, pressure is relieved, and it can easily be removed. To get into your head the approximate size of the bumps, imagine the metal used in that latest CAD as being 3mm thick.

I'll make a small graphic quickly to explain.

It's a very primitive diagram, only drew it up quickly. Essentially the handle will slide in via a slot somewhere on the case (in the last CAD it'd be one side of the case), and the slot would always be incredibly close to the top of the case, causing the centre of mass to be below the whole system. The bumps then literally interlock with the case due to the weight of the case pulling down on the tab. The bumps then, as they are notably large in scale in comparison to the system (so aren't strictly speaking acting as a frictional surface) physically prevent the case from sliding horizontally off the handles. As a result, unless you have a huge huge bump or you suddenly get attacked by a mad scientist with an anti-gravity ray, then the case can't fall off the handle.

So while rubber pads does increase the friction just as a little extra (as some space either side of the bumps would have to be left as tolerance) that's simply to stop a bit of unwanted sliding but not sliding that could allow the case to (easily) fall off the handles.

Potentially making it more rectangular and less trapezoid in shape might be one thing to do as a recent thought, as it should improve performance at large angles.

With just two holes in the side cover or top, which could be relatively small depending on how I do the final design of the handle, you wouldn't even have to uninstall and reinstall a cover.