Power Supply PSUs Thin and STX vs mATX

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Ok. I know that power conversion isn't a main heat-source at all; I just wanted to know if there was any significant heat being added by it. So even if I go Micro-ATX and use a pico-power in the case, it won't add anything significant (as long as the main PSU is external?)

I've been told the MicroSTX supports 7700k, http://www.asrock.com/ipc/overview.asp?Model=H110-STX MXM

though there's nothing about it on the spec sheet.

I'm planning to either build my own case, or have something build specifically. I want to build the case around the cooling system, rather than trying to fit cooling into the case.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Ok. I know that power conversion isn't a main heat-source at all; I just wanted to know if there was any significant heat being added by it. So even if I go Micro-ATX and use a pico-power in the case, it won't add anything significant (as long as the main PSU is external?)

I've been told the MicroSTX supports 7700k, http://www.asrock.com/ipc/overview.asp?Model=H110-STX MXM

though there's nothing about it on the spec sheet.

I'm planning to either build my own case, or have something build specifically. I want to build the case around the cooling system, rather than trying to fit cooling into the case.

The MicroSTX will support the 7700k, but it is power limited. Last I heard they disabled overclocking due to power limits. Maybe check out the custom mod STX case thread. That said, it's pretty easy to make a good ventilated case.

The power conversion will not make any significant heat. Your main PSU (AC Adapter in this case) will generate most of the heat in your power system. That said, even an internal 12V meanwell that I have built, is rated at 93% efficiency + 12V DC-DC, will only contribute about ~8% of the total heat inside the case.

If you want a silent and powerful CPU build, you should pick a good cooler and build around it.

Bigger = cooler and quieter. A 7700k, with Big Shuriken 2 and mini-itx mobo, puts you at about ~3L.

An i7-7700 + NH-L9i + STX puts you at a ~1.6L.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Thanks. I was looking at the Shuriken 2. I wish there were something like that, but wider (like 170mm x 170mm) and with direct-contact heatpipes. Is seems like things like this exist for GPUs... so I've been trying to figure out if I could mount a GPU cooler to it.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
For example this site has custom heatsinks. You could build the heatsink around the RAM. It's vapor-chamber based, so the heat would spread quickly to the fins. Maybe put a 140mm fan over it on low RPM. In theory it should give way better cooling (imagine your computer is 170mm x 170mm, then you'll have a 170mm heatsink.

On a MicoATX, this could make a 10" heatsink, all while keeping it very thin.

Just to be clear, I do not want to overclock, and I won't have a GPU.

In that case I should have no power problems on the MicroSTX, right?

Last edited:

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
For example this site has custom heatsinks. You could build the heatsink around the RAM. It's vapor-chamber based, so the heat would spread quickly to the fins. Maybe put a 140mm fan over it on low RPM. In theory it should give way better cooling (imagine your computer is 170mm x 170mm, then you'll have a 170mm heatsink.
Off topic, but I wonder if you could get a custom heatsink for the 1080 mini to make it truly an itx card.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Ok. I want to use it externally. I was thinking of buying it for external use, but it doesn't look 'strong', e.g. exposed wires etc. so I guess a regular brick is better.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Ok. I want to use it externally. I was thinking of buying it for external use, but it doesn't look 'strong', e.g. exposed wires etc. so I guess a regular brick is better.

Yeah, a purpose made external brick is likely a much sturdier choice in that case (or in this case, the lack of a case) It's mainly meant to be used enclosed and to easily be placed in a case at the optimal spot in combination with a DC-ATX board.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'm a very happy user of an Asus Q87T, with i7-4785T and TT engine 27 ... If it can help.

My use case is development (C, C++, python), light gaming (Broforce, Speed Runners, Digaea 2, emulation) and FreeCAD. Can barely hear the heatsink.

I do use an eternal 65W Dell powerbrick.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
So using a Pico PSU, like the one from HD-Plex, I could connect a 19v laptop power brick to a Micro ATX, and not have the extra heat inside my case?

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Ok, in that case I might go with this motherboard,

I could still make a case for it to fit in a backpack I think
10" x 10" x 7cm (ram height is 3cm, plus 4cm fins?)

4 ram slots.
2 m.2
supports 7700k

So if pico lets me use a laptop-brick with this, and the VRMs are no hotter than an STX board, it should be ideal.

I also thought about this board, but it's slightly bigger, more expensive... can't see any benefit.

Is this the smallest existing motherboard supporting a K level CPU and 4 ram slots?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Ok, in that case I might go with this motherboard,

I could still make a case for it to fit in a backpack I think
10" x 10" x 7cm (ram height is 3cm, plus 4cm fins?)

4 ram slots.
2 m.2
supports 7700k

So if pico lets me use a laptop-brick with this, and the VRMs are no hotter than an STX board, it should be ideal.

I also thought about this board, but it's slightly bigger, more expensive... can't see any benefit.

Is this the smallest existing motherboard supporting a K level CPU and 4 ram slots?

I think you mean it supports overclocking then yes, you'd have to with mATX.

If you won't overclock then you can find some server or business class itx boards with 4 RAM slots.

The height you choose to make it should be based on the cooler you want to use. Just add about 2cm to the height of your CPU cooler and that should get you around the smallest height for the case. If you are using a big shuriken for example it'll be 5.8cm + 2cm is around 8cm total height.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
I do not want to overclock, however after endless searching, I've found nothing with 4 ram slots that supports a 7700k (only Xeons)

If I could find something like that, as small as possible, especially if it had a DC-in (so I don't need Pico) I'd be in dream-land.

I'm trying to avoid internal cabling as much ass possible.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I do not want to overclock, however after endless searching, I've found nothing with 4 ram slots that supports a 7700k (only Xeons)

If I could find something like that, as small as possible, especially if it had a DC-in (so I don't need Pico) I'd be in dream-land.

I'm trying to avoid internal cabling as much ass possible.

In that case, since you really need the 4 slots, this would be a good choice. 2x m.2 reduces the cable. All you'll need is a HD PLEX 160 and an external brick to power it.