Cooling PSA: Blackridge seems to be dead for AM5

Josiah.Jones

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 9, 2023
It was the asrock. Im unsure about the others.
I just got my cooler but the b650i is backordered so it will take a while to get. I plan to get the 7900x3d paired with 64gb of 6000mhz dual channel and I bought the noctua fan duct and a9x14 fan to for the blackridge, not sure if its worth it though but worth a try. Also with what was the length of your screws you used for the blackplate and is there any other details you can give me to make the blackridge work.

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
Fan duct for the blackridge? *confusion*
For a 120mm on top fine but for the 95mm below?
There is a tape mod where you tape off the area that is not behind the fan to deny the fan the warm exhaust air.

Josiah.Jones

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 9, 2023
Fan duct for the blackridge? *confusion*
For a 120mm on top fine but for the 95mm below?
There is a tape mod where you tape off the area that is not behind the fan to deny the fan the warm exhaust air.
optium tech did a mod where he put the fanduct between the fan and the cooler in low profile mode to reduce the high pitch noise or something like that

Reactions: Soul_Est

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
Oh, that is that is what you mean. A silicone spacer (anti vibration dampener) would have been enough, you can ise one of the Noctua duct rings but that is a vety expensive solution.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Rysen

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2017
I just got my cooler but the b650i is backordered so it will take a while to get. I plan to get the 7900x3d paired with 64gb of 6000mhz dual channel and I bought the noctua fan duct and a9x14 fan to for the blackridge, not sure if its worth it though but worth a try. Also with what was the length of your screws you used for the blackplate and is there any other details you can give me to make the blackridge work.

Is not easy just figure out what's the right amount to screw in before you put in the cooler and start bolting it in. That's the hard part. Took me multiple trials before getting stable temperatures. You know is not working if you push it down and the temperatures get better.

Bernardez

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 29, 2023
Hello. I have installed a blackridge cooler on top of my 7700x inside a dan case a4 sfx and wanted to share the results with you.
With the flip amd bracket trick and long m3 screws the cooler can be mounted. But it is a scary process because you do not know how much force you apply on the components. I used screws that came with an EKWB radiator. With a thermal limit of 95 degrees it sips around 90 watts. (prime95 test)
Here are some photos:

Datagram

Efficiency Noob
Jan 27, 2023
Can you measure the distance between the backplate and the bracket? I'll probably try to 3D-print some spacers to help with mounting if I decide to upgrade to AM5, so knowing what height to aim for would be a big help.

Actually, now that I think about it, if we can flip the AM4 brackets to install the Black Ridge, does that mean that it could also work with a delidded processor since we can mount the cooler lower? I could see there being clearance issues for people using the VLP RAM + 120mm fan combo (like myself), but maybe the gains from direct-die cooling would be outweigh the loss of switching back to a 92mm fan?

hotshot619

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 13, 2023
I archived the post as the Thermalright AXP90-47 copper is superior on AM5/LGA1700 with heatpipes facing the RAM & I/O shroud. This is due to cold plate design.
Hi,

Did you try both the black ridge and the x47 and found the x47 to be better with stock fans? I am researching what to use on my AM5 7800x3d at the moment and found this thread. I watched this Hardware Canucks Video and it seemed that with a Noctua fan swap on the Black Ridge would be better than the x47. I assume with either the x47 or the Black ridge I'm going to need to do some modifications to backplates or screws, which I don't really mind, just trying to find the definitive better option.

Thanks!

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
Differences between all below 47mm coolers are minimal with the 7800X3D. The CPU draws nrarely more than 55W while gaming and just every cooler can cope with this jsut fine.
With an L9a i get 94% all core performance at 82W sustained and just full gaming performance at 75-80C for most games.