Cooling PSA: Blackridge seems to be dead for AM5

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
I got the confirmation today from EKL: Blackridge is not AM5 compatible and there are no plans for an AM5 kit.
RIP i guess.

Maybe someone finds a solution (i will have a look on the coming Noctua AM5 kit).
Der8auer also seems to develop a shortened backplate for AM5 - in that case it might be possible to remove the original backplate and to fit the Blackridge with the original or slightly longer screws into the mounting holes.

Reactions: Mark13

SKYMTL

Chassis Packer
Jan 23, 2022
www.youtube.com
I can confirm this. Like a lot of low profile cooler manufacturers, this would need retooling of the cooler itself.

Its also why some (ID Cooling for example) are taking the opportunity to roll out AM5 compatible coolers like the IS-55 that have the necessary mounts while also improving the cooler itself.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Well shit, what's the problem with fitment. I can probably make something for the black ridge

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
Well shit, what's the problem with fitment. I can probably make something for the black ridge
The Blackridge gets fitted just with screws from the mainboard backside. AM5 has a backplate and there are now not just holes in the mainboard but threads in the backplate. So most likely the screws are too short and do not fit through the threads from the backside.

84000000156-Manual-Black-Ridge-16-08-2022 (alpenfoehn.de)

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The Blackridge gets fitted just with screws from the mainboard backside. AM5 has a backplate and there are now not just holes in the mainboard but threads in the backplate. So most likely the screws are too short and do not fit through the threads from the backside.

84000000156-Manual-Black-Ridge-16-08-2022 (alpenfoehn.de)
And you can't just remove the backplate because the CPU retention system is also screwed to the backplate :|

Sans titre.png

wingerie

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 7, 2022
I see two ways one can make it compatible:
1. Custom legs for Black Ridge that will be compatible with official backplate screws;
2. Custom backplate that will support both retention mechanism mount and let us screw from the back side, this should allow mounting of any sff cooler out there.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
That thing goes to the front and replaces the whole CPU retention system, not the backplate. Unless you have to remove the whole backplate to use it (but I didn't find any picture nor manual).

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
The retention module holds the backplate - if you remove the cpu cooler brackets the backplate can be removed or replaced by another that fits (might be also be taped with double sided tape) and allows older coolers. We will see.

Here is a video from der8auer - he already removed both: Ryzen 7000 Delidding - Unreal Temperature improvement with Direct-Die Cooling - YouTube

Just dump the Blackridge and use another that does fit !!!
I went through the same crap trying to get bars for an Alderlake build, they have no interest in further supporting it. It's just not a profitable cooler for them and they want it to slip quietly away !!!

The Thermalright frame Does "NOT" come with a replacement backplate, that's not the purpose of it (to completely replace the whole mechanism)

I'm sorry if this sound harsh here, it's just a reallity check.
You want to keep using the Blackridge, we get it.
Fact is it's dead, forget it and move on lol

Rysen

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2017
Just dump the Blackridge and use another that does fit !!!
I went through the same crap trying to get bars for an Alderlake build, they have no interest in further supporting it. It's just not a profitable cooler for them and they want it to slip quietly away !!!

The Thermalright frame Does "NOT" come with a replacement backplate, that's not the purpose of it (to completely replace the whole mechanism)

I'm sorry if this sound harsh here, it's just a reallity check.
You want to keep using the Blackridge, we get it.
Fact is it's dead, forget it and move on lol

I disagree. SFF is about making it work when it seems like it won't. I got the black ridge cooling my 7900x in Zaber Sentry 1.0 . The temperatures are acceptable for me running on ECO Mode.

A quick Cinebench Test shows acceptable results for me:

Better than 5950x is good enough for me. Edit: I manage to get a higher score without ECO mode. Around 11300

I flipped the AM5 brackets and screw them from the the back of the motherboard by applying pressure down on the brackets until the screw went in. It takes time and is not easy but sff is not about being easy is about making it work at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Why not just use the stock backplate? The threads are "6-32 SAE?" from what I found... ~3.33mm hole to get your M3 screw thru plate and board onto your cooler mount.

Reactions: riba2233

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 13, 2022
The original screws should be just too short - the AM5 socket is higher - i will evaluate the options, my board should arrive end of the week.

Josiah.Jones

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 9, 2023
I disagree. SFF is about making it work when it seems like it won't. I got the black ridge cooling my 7900x in Zaber Sentry 1.0 . The temperatures are acceptable for me running on ECO Mode.

Better than 5950x is good enough for me. Edit: I manage to get a higher score without ECO mode. Around 11300

I flipped the AM5 brackets and screw them from the the back of the motherboard by applying pressure down on the brackets until the screw went in. It takes time and is not easy but sff is not about being easy is about making it work at a reasonable price.

whats the name of the motherboard you used with the black ridge cooler

---- Multi-posts merged ----

will the msi mpg b650i motherboard fit with the blackridge cooler like the asrock b650e one or is there another option other than the one you used

Last edited by a moderator: