Prototype Prototype Miami open air frame

PrototypeMiami

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 5, 2020
I am sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I have reached out to multiple Admins but have not gotten a direct answer. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a manufacturer in Florida. My business usually makes custom parts for luxury homes, aerospace parts, and test benches for aerospace. I decided to make an mini ITX case to fulfill my needs at my business. A friend shared it on Reddit where it got a lot of positive feedback from the community. This lead me down a rabbit hole and with the help of some of the members of multiple communities I created this. Full picture is here: ALBUM

The white base plate was the start. Using an external DC/DC power supply would be the most ideal way to keep it as sff as possible. Red is a SFX power supply base and black for a dual 120 mm radiator. The modular design allows you to add a separate power supply or radiator if needed.

Currently they are not available for retail. Price for the MOBO base plate is $55 shipped. SFX adapter is $25. Radiator adapter is $15. There is a mailing list to keep you up to date, you can sign up here: [link](http://eepurl.com/g_TIZb)

There is also a website https://www.prototypemiami.com/ You can check out pricing, as stated before they are still in development and will be releasing soon. Sign up for the emailing list to get notified when they are in stock.

In addition, if you are interested in being a beta tester, I currently have 10 units to give away. Please have components available. Even if they are older components, the goal of beta testing is to confirm that the tolerances, design, finish, and components placement are correct. The designed supports an ITX MOBO, any size GPU, SFX power supply (or external DC to DC), and dual 120 mm fan radiator. Please send an email to prototype.miami@gmail.com . I will allow one week for sign ups (Aug 16th midnight will be the deadline). I will select the participants to encompass as large a pool of components as possible. Please put any information about your components in the email.

All components are made in the US and in a single warehouse. There is no transferring of incomplete components to different manufacturers. Material is locally sourced and the rest of the process is done in house: water jet cut, de-burring, sanding, bending, paint prep, powder coating, threading, packaging and shipping. This will avoid any issues with manufacturing and "out of stock" or "coming in from China" delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NOKYARD

oOflyeyesOo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 25, 2020
Your design is pretty nice for a open frame! Saw it on reddit yesterday! Good luck! I don't think I could use a open frame with kids and animals though.

PrototypeMiami

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 5, 2020
Your design is pretty nice for a open frame! Saw it on reddit yesterday! Good luck! I don't think I could use a open frame with kids and animals though.
Thanks for the complements! The case isn't for everyone and I understand that. I saw that multiple companies were selling cases at $200+ and I thought that was just crazy. that lead me down the SFF rabbit hole and I can say I have enjoyed it lol

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Many people on this forum start out with the idea of "$200+ SFF cases are insane, I can do way better", only to realise after a year or two of experience designing a case and talking to manufacturers, it isn't as easy. And then the realisation comes of having spent hundreds of hours of work unpaid on the project and people complain why it isn't selling or shipping yet.

There's a huge difference in approaching case design done by manufacturers, who have a lot more experience in cost-effective manufacturing and designing around some of the more typical cost traps. Since you're a manufacturer first, I fully expect you to make good on the promise of that much lower price :)

PrototypeMiami

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 5, 2020
Many people on this forum start out with the idea of "$200+ SFF cases are insane, I can do way better", only to realise after a year or two of experience designing a case and talking to manufacturers, it isn't as easy. And then the realisation comes of having spent hundreds of hours of work unpaid on the project and people complain why it isn't selling or shipping yet.

There's a huge difference in approaching case design done by manufacturers, who have a lot more experience in cost-effective manufacturing and designing around some of the more typical cost traps. Since you're a manufacturer first, I fully expect you to make good on the promise of that much lower price :)
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the positive response!

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
Hey, I would be happy to test it. Have a bunch of radiators(240/360), 9900k and rtx 2060 for now-soon to be replaced by ampere.